The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Grizzlies-Suns 0.6 throw-in play to win game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103282-grizzlies-suns-0-6-throw-play-win-game.html)

AremRed Wed Dec 27, 2017 07:23am

Grizzlies-Suns 0.6 throw-in play to win game

mutantducky made a thread about this two years ago and it happened last night.

<div style="width: 50%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 28.125%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/s/imm4f/cvcbvx" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>
Important to note that this is a basket interference violation under NFHS rules, but the NBA rule has an exception. Here's the NBA rule:

Case Play 169

"A throw-in enters the area above the basket cylinder. If any player interferes with the ball, is it considered a violation?

No. Goaltending or basket interference has not occurred. For either of these violations to occur, a ball which is alive must enter the cylinder area after having been legally touched on the playing court. All players must consider this type of play as an ordinary throw-in and anyone may attempt to gain possession of the ball without penalty. (RULE 11 - SECTION I - f)"

Sounds like Suns interim coach Jay Triano has been reading the rulebook, in the ESPN article Jay mentions knowing the rule and asking the officials at summer clinics about the play to confirm his understanding.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 27, 2017 08:57am

Should have been a team control foul (or whatever the equivalent in in the NBA).

And, a video request -- please do NOT set them to auto-replay.

Rich Wed Dec 27, 2017 09:21am

Clear, obvious push off.

The defender went from A to B and freed space for the dunk.

AremRed Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1013669)
And, a video request -- please do NOT set them to auto-replay.

Sorry man, Streamable doesn’t allow that option. And the embedding is a huge bitch in and of itself.

SE Minnestoa Re Wed Dec 27, 2017 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1013670)
Clear, obvious push off.

The defender went from A to B and freed space for the dunk.

The lead has got to make the foul call in that situation.

Pantherdreams Wed Dec 27, 2017 04:55pm

Second play started both players started pushing and hand fighting/holding space with arms. I am ok with no call on the one who was stronger. If you call a foul here I am ok with that but it better be a when hand fighting starts not once someone gets something out of it.

Freddy Wed Dec 27, 2017 07:07pm

A Bygone Era?

This precise play was repeated several times back in the late 60's and early 70's with the Knicks Cazzie Russell the player drawn up to dunk the half-court throw-in. Interesting now only for the fact that it's illegal in NFHS though OK for NBA. Haven't heard what NCAA-M or -W think of it.
BTW, who besides DeNucci would even remember back that far?

BillyMac Wed Dec 27, 2017 07:17pm

The New York Knickerbockers ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 1013690)
Knicks Cazzie Russell

Even though I'm a life long Celtics fan (Bill Russell is my favorite player), I had a sincere appreciation for the teamwork involved on those Knicks teams. A different star every night. Anybody remember Willis Reed coming out of the locker room with a torn thigh muscle before Game 7 of the 1970 NBA Finals against the Los Angeles Lakers in Madison Square Garden?

Multiple Sports Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:07am

Easy there Billy Mac

This thread has nothing to do with IAABO, your belt or your little corner of Connecticut and we all know there is no above the rim play at your CYO games where none of the moms are interested in your pocket size slide ruler.....:D:D:D

BillyMac Thu Dec 28, 2017 06:42am

Goaltending ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 1013703)
... above the rim play ...

Just a reminder to everybody. In NFHS rules, while it's true that you can have a basket interference violation on a throwin (offensive or defensive), you can't have goaltending (outside the cylinder), because one must have a try (no try on a throwin) to have goaltending (offensive or defensive) violation.

Goaltending is when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level, outside the imaginary cylinder above the ring, and has the possibility of entering the basket.

BillyMac Thu Dec 28, 2017 06:46am

With Apologies To Mae West ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 1013703)
... the moms are interested in your pocket size slide ruler.

Is that a slide ruler in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

bob jenkins Thu Dec 28, 2017 08:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 1013686)
Second play started both players started pushing and hand fighting/holding space with arms. I am ok with no call on the one who was stronger. If you call a foul here I am ok with that but it better be a when hand fighting starts not once someone gets something out of it.

Disagree (at least for NFHS / NCAA rules). Other than the automatics on the dribbler, a foul can be descried as "contact that causes an advantage." You can address the "hand fighting" and it should cause yo to be aware, but you can't call a foul until "someone gets something out of it."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 1013690)
Interesting now only for the fact that it's illegal in NFHS though OK for NBA. Haven't heard what NCAA-M or -W think of it.

BI in NCAA

justacoach Thu Dec 28, 2017 06:38pm

Definitive ruling on this play.....

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/u...12-26-2017.pdf

Final comment states:
"Chandler (PHX) legally touches the ball above the cylinder on the inbound pass. Goaltending rules do not apply because he
makes contact with the ball off of a throw-in and not a live ball that has already legally been touched on the playing court."

Obviously NBA ruleset differs from other levels.

#olderthanilook Fri Dec 29, 2017 01:39pm

I just have to laugh a bit at players that get all fired up on plays where the illegal contact of some sort is the primary - and usually the only - reason for the execution of a play.

If Chandler had actually fronted and held his position or jumped up higher than the defender from behind w/o displacing him, and finishing that try, then I'd be likely to jump up and slap some high fives along with him.

Aside from that.....meh.....