The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 02, 2017, 12:39pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Question Is this what players really think?

Kevin Durant after being ejected on 12/1:

"The refs run the game, so if they're not feeling good today, they can just make any decision they want," Durant said. "I have to know that they got all of the power, and I got to shut up and take it."
Old Sat Dec 02, 2017, 12:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Who cares what players think? He is making enough money that he should not worry about what officials do for the most part either. Get over yourself.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 02, 2017, 06:02pm
Stubborn Member

The players run the league because they bring in the money, and money is what drives pro sports.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old Sat Dec 02, 2017, 06:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Silence Is Golden ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Durant said. "... I got to shut up ... "
At least he got this part right.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 03, 2017, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
The players run the league because they bring in the money, and money is what drives pro sports.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
NBA refs in general are far more willing to issue a technical foul than lower levels and are supported when they do so.

Whereas in college the coaches have enough control that it leads to officials being scared to call T’s and (sometimes) supervisors not being willing to defend their officials in the interest of pandering to the coaches. Not all supervisors are like that, but there are some.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2017, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
NBA refs in general are far more willing to issue a technical foul than lower levels and are supported when they do so.

Whereas in college the coaches have enough control that it leads to officials being scared to call T’s and (sometimes) supervisors not being willing to defend their officials in the interest of pandering to the coaches. Not all supervisors are like that, but there are some.
The NBA T is also a less serious sanction—only one FT, no possession change, and I do not believe it countstowards fouling out.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2017, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
The NBA T is also a less serious sanction—only one FT, no possession change, and I do not believe it countstowards fouling out.
Get enough T's and you get a suspension and 10's of thousand dollars worth of fines. So I'd say the NBA T's may seem less punitive on a game by game basis, however they carry a LOT more weight than lower level T's do.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2017, 08:58am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
There is no possession change in the NCAA for a T unless it's flagrant or dead ball contact. Had a game last week where my partner T'd the home coach, then on the ensuing possession after the free throws, I popped the visiting coach. There was no big to-do about either T.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2017, 09:59am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Get enough T's and you get a suspension and 10's of thousand dollars worth of fines. So I'd say the NBA T's may seem less punitive on a game by game basis, however they carry a LOT more weight than lower level T's do.
If this list is accurate (and I have no reason to doubt that it is)... a garden-variety player technical incurs a $2000 fine in the NBA.

Seems like a lot... but relative to an NBA player's salary, it's not THAT much. The average NBA salary is somewhere in the $6 million range, which means that a $2000 fine is the same as a $17 fine to someone making $50,000 per year. Obviously, it's a bit different for players making the league minimum and for the highest earners, but still.