The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
SITUATION 4: Team A is making a throw-in near the division line in the team’s backcourt (Team B’s frontcourt). A1’s throw-in is deflected by B1 who is applying direct pressure on A1. B2 jumps from his/her frontcourt, catches the ball in the air and lands in the backcourt.

RULING: Backcourt violation on Team B. The throw-in ends with B1’s deflection (legal touch). When B2 gains possession/ control in the air, he/she has frontcourt status. A backcourt violation has occurred when B2 lands in backcourt. (9-9-1, 9-9-3)

In situation #6 that Freddy posted, B2 jumps from his BACKCOURT, which is not included in 9-9-3 as an exception. (H/T Nevada for pointing that out from a similar thread in 2006!)
These are my questions form 2008(?). They created a lot of discussion, thus the Rule interps. There is no difference if the ball is caught by Team A nor Team B while they are in the air after the Throw-in was touched, The airborn player catching the ball IS NOT given the Back Court exception.. Oh well
Old Thu Nov 09, 2017, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure why there is so much confusion - once the ball is deflected, the throw-in ends and so does the exception. What difference does it make what happens after that?
Old Thu Nov 09, 2017, 08:43am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I'm not sure why there is so much confusion - once the ball is deflected, the throw-in ends and so does the exception. What difference does it make what happens after that?
The question is not about what happens next, it's about "defensive" status since a defensive player is allowed to intercept any other pass while jumping from their FC and landing in their BC.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2017, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The question is not about what happens next, it's about "defensive" status since a defensive player is allowed to intercept any other pass while jumping from their FC and landing in their BC.
Are you (and others) questioning what the rule *is* or what the rule *should be*?

The former seems clear to me and is consistent among all codes (I think.)

We can discuss the latter -- heck, I'd like to expand the defensive exception so a player not in the air can steal the ball and proceed to the backcourt if s/he's unable to stop (a "momentum exception")
Old Thu Nov 09, 2017, 08:56am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Are you (and others) questioning what the rule *is* or what the rule *should be*?

The former seems clear to me and is consistent among all codes (I think.)

We can discuss the latter -- heck, I'd like to expand the defensive exception so a player not in the air can steal the ball and proceed to the backcourt if s/he's unable to stop (a "momentum exception")
I thought it was clear that the initial question was about the defensive's backcourt exception when intercepting a pass. The OP wanted to confirm that the defense's BC exception does not exist on a tipped throw-in.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2017, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I thought it was clear that the initial question was about the defensive's backcourt exception when intercepting a pass. The OP wanted to confirm that the defense's BC exception does not exist on a tipped throw-in.
Yes -- that's what the OP wanted. Yes -- that's been confirmed. Obviously, though, there's more to the thread than this or it wouldn't be at 20 posts.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2017, 09:22am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
If B2 is fouled attempting to catch the ball it is a Team Control foul on Team A. Clearly there is an offense and a defense on a Throw In, even if the ball is tipped. Frustrating.
I haven't seen anyone address this, so here goes... I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. The Team Control given to Team A only applies during the throw-in. Once the ball is tipped by B1, the throw-in and subsequent Team Control is over. But even if B1 did not tip the ball it wouldn't matter, as Team Control was for fouling purposes... not for the backcourt violation.

And another reason why there is no "offence" or "defense" until there is player and team control in-bounds, and the exception does not apply.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2017, 09:35am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I haven't seen anyone address this, so here goes... I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. The Team Control given to Team A only applies during the throw-in. Once the ball is tipped by B1, the throw-in and subsequent Team Control is over. But even if B1 did not tip the ball it wouldn't matter, as Team Control was for fouling purposes... not for the backcourt violation.

So B2 would shoot free throws if Team B is in the bonus if he is fouled after the throw-in is tipped?
Old Thu Nov 09, 2017, 09:50am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
So B2 would shoot free throws if Team B is in the bonus if he is fouled after the throw-in is tipped?
I believe so, although I found something that makes my previous post at least partially wrong.

Team control continues until one of three things happen... 1. the ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal 2. an opponent secure control 3. the ball becomes dead. So going by that we'd have a team control foul, as none of those three things happened.

However, since the tip by B1 ends the throw-in, logically the thing about there being team control during a throw-in would also end. But I can't find where it says that, so I could very well be wrong.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2017, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

"A team-control foul is a common foul committed by a member of the team that has team control or by a member of the throw-in team from the start of the throw-in until player control is obtained inbounds."

(Rule 4-19-7)
Old Thu Nov 09, 2017, 11:03am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
"A team-control foul is a common foul committed by a member of the team that has team control or by a member of the throw-in team from the start of the throw-in until player control is obtained inbounds."

(Rule 4-19-7)
Thank you

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Thu Nov 09, 2017, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Because I am giving B2 the defensive player exception, not the throw-in exception. The interp this season is the first one that I've ever seen which states that a defensive player doesn't get his backcourt exception if the pass is tipped. I've never seen that before in twenty years of NFHS officiating and believe that it is a mistake.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Fri Nov 10, 2017 at 07:05am.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2017, 06:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

Defensive Player Exception ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Because I am not giving B2 the defensive player exception, not the throw-in exception.
During a throwin, or jump ball, any player; or a defensive player, in making a steal; may legally jump from his, or her, frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor, and return to the floor with one, or both, feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing, and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt, or the backcourt. These three situations are not backcourt violations.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Nov 10, 2017, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

The defensive exception doesn’t exist until player control inbounds has been established. It’s clear that that’s the way the FED expects this to be adjudicated.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2017, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

I have to edit my previous statement on NCAAW. This just came out:

QUESTION:

Team A is making a throw-in near the division line in the team’s backcourt (Team B’s frontcourt). A1’s throw-in is deflected by B1, who is applying direct pressure on A1. B2 jumps from her frontcourt, catches the ball in the air and lands in her team’s backcourt. Is this a backcourt violation?

ANSWER:

When the ball is at A1’s disposal for the throw-in, Team A has team control (Rules 4-10.a, 4-8.1.a, 4-8.2.a). Team control continues after the release of the throw-in until the opponents gain control of the ball or the ball becomes dead (Rule 4-8.3). Even though the throw-in ended when B1 touched the throw-in pass, it did not end Team A’s team control. B2, as a defensive player, may jump from her frontcourt, gain control of the ball while airborne, and then land with one or both feet in her backcourt, as this is the exception to the backcourt rule (Rule 9-12.9).

This is a legal play.