LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 05, 2017, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Right.
Old Sun Nov 05, 2017, 12:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I don't believe the NFHS "requires" the visiting scorer to sit at the table. It might be implied that it's necessary because the scorer is supposed to "compare records with the visiting scorer...", but I don't think anything in the rules would support "forcing" the visiting scorer to sit at the table.

However, if the visiting scorer sits on or directly behind the team bench, I'm likely treating him/her as bench personnel with respect to penalizing unsporting behavior.
I would treat them as such if they are sitting on the bench. But if they are not sitting at the scorer's table, then I am not going around trying to penalize them for their behavior and give Ts as a result. I will just have them removed if it is that bad and it would have to get really bad.

I do not think the rule in question gives us any authority to penalize the person that is the visiting team book any more than I would penalize the home book if they acted up and sitting clearly at the table.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 05, 2017, 12:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bench Personnel ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
... if the visiting scorer sits on or directly behind the team bench, I'm likely treating him/her as bench personnel with respect to penalizing unsporting behavior.
Agree.

Rule 4-34-2: Bench personnel are all individuals who are part of or affiliated with a team, including, but not limited to: substitutes, coaches, managers(s) and statisticians(s).

If the visiting scorer is at the team bench, they're bench personnel, under the control, or authority, of the head coach, and will be subject to all rules regarding bench personnel. No free passes because they have a book and a pencil.

If the visiting scorer is at the table, they're part of the officiating team, under the control, or authority, of the referee. They are not bench personnel, and do not fall under the rules regarding bench personnel, but if they misbehave, they can be dealt with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... if the official scorer, or the official timekeeper, or the visiting scorekeeper, is giving me a problem (acting as a fan for team, not paying attention, not doing their job correctly, etc.), I have no problem asking game management to replace any, or all of them ... In a school game with adult table personnel, I may pause before replacing them, and will certainly check with my partner, but I would certainly consider replacing them, maybe not charging any type of technical bench personnel foul, but certainly replacing them; and they can go wherever they want, including their team bench, just not at the table as a member of the officiating team.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 05, 2017 at 12:57pm.