The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 27, 2017, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Preseason Guide

Interesting read. I wish I could post it all here for our members that don't receive this.

From the section about the new warnings:

Play 3: Team A's head coach is outside of the coaching box and is coaching his or her team. An official stops play to have the scorer record the warning in the scorebook and then notifies team A's head coach that he or she has been warned for being outside the coaching box. Later in the game team A's head coach, while within the coaching box, is demonstratively waving his or her hands at an official in disgust over a foul ruling. An official stops play and goes through the process to have a warning recorded.
Ruling 3: The official was correct to rule a warning to the coach for being outside of the coaching box. It also is acceptable to work through the same preventive officiating practices to remind the coach to remain within the coaching box as done in prior years. Repeated or constant attempts to keep a coach within a coaching box is not acceptable. It is not correct to rule a warning later to the same coach who was already warned. Once another or different rule is broken, a technical foul must be ruled. Further, a coach demonstratively waving his or her hands is a major violation of the rule and is a direct technical foul regardless of a prior warning.

From the "Sell Your Next OOB Decision" section:

"A final way to lend more credibility with out-of-bounds decisions is to verbalize the team's exact color. When a team wears a purple jersey and we refer to it as blue, it is just another reason for players, coaches, and fans to question our common sense. Everyone in the gym sees that the color is purple (orange, gold, etc.). Officials look out of place as the only ones to call a team by the wrong color."
Old Wed Sep 27, 2017, 09:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I tend to be pretty cynical, but I simply don't believe calling out "blue" for "purple" actually changes anyone's perspective.

The person that wrote that must've played on or coached a team that wore purple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Wed Sep 27, 2017, 09:52pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I tend to be pretty cynical, but I simply don't believe calling out "blue" for "purple" actually changes anyone's perspective.

The person that wrote that must've played on or coached a team that wore purple.

Or officiated soccer.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Sep 27, 2017, 10:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

One Syllable ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
... gold ...
What's wrong with gold? Why would an official not verbalize, "Gold"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 27, 2017 at 10:20pm.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
What's wrong with gold? Why would an official not verbalize, "Gold"?
Maybe they were referring to calling teams with yellow jerseys "gold"? I don't know.

I'm with Rich. And quite frankly I've never worked with someone who insisted we use the "actual" color regardless of how many syllables, and my state doesn't care about it. It seems as though people with this philosophy are out on an island by themselves.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 11:38am
Stubborn Member

As long as we are all (meaning the officials at that game) are using the same color for each team, I don't see a problem.

Around here, they prefer to use a team's actual color ("purple" instead of "blue", etc). Why? I don't know, probably the same "confusion" crap. But whatever... when in Rome.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 11:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
As long as we are all (meaning the officials at that game) are using the same color for each team, I don't see a problem.

Around here, they prefer to use a team's actual color ("purple" instead of "blue", etc). Why? I don't know, probably the same "confusion" crap. But whatever... when in Rome.
Why is THAT even a problem? One team's wearing white and the other team's wearing SOMETHING ELSE. If you say BLUE and I say PURPLE, nobody's confused. Nobody cares....or should care.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you think anyone other than officials really notices this? Or really cares if they do notice?
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 12:03pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Do you think anyone other than officials really notices this? Or really cares if they do notice?
Nope.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 12:05pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Sorry, can't figure out how to edit on my phone. I like consistency.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 01:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

I do this for one simple reason. It is easier to say a one syllable word with a whistle in your mouth. I am not changing a damn thing because of this publication.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 01:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Maybe they were referring to calling teams with yellow jerseys "gold"? I don't know.

I'm with Rich. And quite frankly I've never worked with someone who insisted we use the "actual" color regardless of how many syllables, and my state doesn't care about it. It seems as though people with this philosophy are out on an island by themselves.
Honestly, do not care what they think. I do not tell coaches how to coach or what to say, they do not have the right to tell us how we say colors or do our business as officials.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 01:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

So are we going to say "Fuchsia" or "Turquoise" when that is their actual color? I know I call them "red" or "blue." No one is ever confused in all the year I have been officiating. And yes, I have seen these colors on uniforms.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 01:17pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
So are we going to say "Fuchsia" or "Turquoise" when that is their actual color? I know I call them "red" or "blue." No one is ever confused in all the year I have been officiating. And yes, I have seen these colors on uniforms.

Peace
I'm not going to defend this, especially since I don't care enough about it to bother. Just pointing out a "when in Rome" thing.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 02:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

From the "Sell Your Next OOB Decision" section:

"A final way to lend more credibility with out-of-bounds decisions is to verbalize the team's exact color. When a team wears a purple jersey and we refer to it as blue, it is just another reason for players, coaches, and fans to question our common sense. Everyone in the gym sees that the color is purple (orange, gold, etc.). Officials look out of place as the only ones to call a team by the wrong color."
I'm guessing whoever published this is oblivious to something called color-blindness.

I worked a post-season conference tournament a couple of seasons ago and I spent the entire game calling a team Red, when they were actually Black. I have a very hard time distinguishing between dark burgundy and black. After the game, my supervisor was like "WTF" were you seeing out there.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Sep 28, 2017 at 02:38pm.