The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 27, 2017, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,860
NFHS Preseason Guide

Interesting read. I wish I could post it all here for our members that don't receive this.

From the section about the new warnings:

Play 3: Team A's head coach is outside of the coaching box and is coaching his or her team. An official stops play to have the scorer record the warning in the scorebook and then notifies team A's head coach that he or she has been warned for being outside the coaching box. Later in the game team A's head coach, while within the coaching box, is demonstratively waving his or her hands at an official in disgust over a foul ruling. An official stops play and goes through the process to have a warning recorded.
Ruling 3: The official was correct to rule a warning to the coach for being outside of the coaching box. It also is acceptable to work through the same preventive officiating practices to remind the coach to remain within the coaching box as done in prior years. Repeated or constant attempts to keep a coach within a coaching box is not acceptable. It is not correct to rule a warning later to the same coach who was already warned. Once another or different rule is broken, a technical foul must be ruled. Further, a coach demonstratively waving his or her hands is a major violation of the rule and is a direct technical foul regardless of a prior warning.

From the "Sell Your Next OOB Decision" section:

"A final way to lend more credibility with out-of-bounds decisions is to verbalize the team's exact color. When a team wears a purple jersey and we refer to it as blue, it is just another reason for players, coaches, and fans to question our common sense. Everyone in the gym sees that the color is purple (orange, gold, etc.). Officials look out of place as the only ones to call a team by the wrong color."
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 27, 2017, 09:38pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,719
I tend to be pretty cynical, but I simply don't believe calling out "blue" for "purple" actually changes anyone's perspective.

The person that wrote that must've played on or coached a team that wore purple.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 27, 2017, 09:52pm
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I tend to be pretty cynical, but I simply don't believe calling out "blue" for "purple" actually changes anyone's perspective.

The person that wrote that must've played on or coached a team that wore purple.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Or officiated soccer.

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Ump. Assn.
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 27, 2017, 10:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 19,341
One Syllable ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
... gold ...
What's wrong with gold? Why would an official not verbalize, "Gold"?
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 27, 2017 at 10:20pm.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 10:48am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
What's wrong with gold? Why would an official not verbalize, "Gold"?
Maybe they were referring to calling teams with yellow jerseys "gold"? I don't know.

I'm with Rich. And quite frankly I've never worked with someone who insisted we use the "actual" color regardless of how many syllables, and my state doesn't care about it. It seems as though people with this philosophy are out on an island by themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 11:38am
Stubborn Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,471
As long as we are all (meaning the officials at that game) are using the same color for each team, I don't see a problem.

Around here, they prefer to use a team's actual color ("purple" instead of "blue", etc). Why? I don't know, probably the same "confusion" crap. But whatever... when in Rome.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 11:40am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
As long as we are all (meaning the officials at that game) are using the same color for each team, I don't see a problem.

Around here, they prefer to use a team's actual color ("purple" instead of "blue", etc). Why? I don't know, probably the same "confusion" crap. But whatever... when in Rome.
Why is THAT even a problem? One team's wearing white and the other team's wearing SOMETHING ELSE. If you say BLUE and I say PURPLE, nobody's confused. Nobody cares....or should care.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 11:41am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
As long as we are all (meaning the officials at that game) are using the same color for each team, I don't see a problem.
Do you think anyone other than officials really notices this? Or really cares if they do notice?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 12:03pm
Stubborn Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Do you think anyone other than officials really notices this? Or really cares if they do notice?
Nope.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 12:05pm
Stubborn Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Do you think anyone other than officials really notices this? Or really cares if they do notice?
Sorry, can't figure out how to edit on my phone. I like consistency.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 01:03pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I tend to be pretty cynical, but I simply don't believe calling out "blue" for "purple" actually changes anyone's perspective.

The person that wrote that must've played on or coached a team that wore purple.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I do this for one simple reason. It is easier to say a one syllable word with a whistle in your mouth. I am not changing a damn thing because of this publication.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 01:05pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Maybe they were referring to calling teams with yellow jerseys "gold"? I don't know.

I'm with Rich. And quite frankly I've never worked with someone who insisted we use the "actual" color regardless of how many syllables, and my state doesn't care about it. It seems as though people with this philosophy are out on an island by themselves.
Honestly, do not care what they think. I do not tell coaches how to coach or what to say, they do not have the right to tell us how we say colors or do our business as officials.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 01:07pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
As long as we are all (meaning the officials at that game) are using the same color for each team, I don't see a problem.

Around here, they prefer to use a team's actual color ("purple" instead of "blue", etc). Why? I don't know, probably the same "confusion" crap. But whatever... when in Rome.
So are we going to say "Fuchsia" or "Turquoise" when that is their actual color? I know I call them "red" or "blue." No one is ever confused in all the year I have been officiating. And yes, I have seen these colors on uniforms.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 01:17pm
Stubborn Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
So are we going to say "Fuchsia" or "Turquoise" when that is their actual color? I know I call them "red" or "blue." No one is ever confused in all the year I have been officiating. And yes, I have seen these colors on uniforms.

Peace
I'm not going to defend this, especially since I don't care enough about it to bother. Just pointing out a "when in Rome" thing.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 02:34pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
....

From the "Sell Your Next OOB Decision" section:

"A final way to lend more credibility with out-of-bounds decisions is to verbalize the team's exact color. When a team wears a purple jersey and we refer to it as blue, it is just another reason for players, coaches, and fans to question our common sense. Everyone in the gym sees that the color is purple (orange, gold, etc.). Officials look out of place as the only ones to call a team by the wrong color."
I'm guessing whoever published this is oblivious to something called color-blindness.

I worked a post-season conference tournament a couple of seasons ago and I spent the entire game calling a team Red, when they were actually Black. I have a very hard time distinguishing between dark burgundy and black. After the game, my supervisor was like "WTF" were you seeing out there.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Sep 28, 2017 at 02:38pm.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
study guide question nfhs. bluezebra58 Softball 4 Wed Jan 26, 2011 07:40am
New 2009 fed preseason guide quote???? jkumpire Baseball 27 Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:59am
NFHS Softball Guide 2006 Skahtboi Softball 5 Thu Jan 12, 2006 09:01am
NCAA Study Guide and NFHS Rules Handbook kentref Football 4 Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:35am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1