The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 31, 2017, 01:01pm
High Five Master

Backboard slap

Men's league last night. On a run out lay up, defender slaps backboard hard. Partner calls the basket good. I tried to tell him it wasn't goaltending or interference but he was set in decision.

My question is this: in HS/NFHS, the only penalty can be a T in this situation. Correct? And how often have you had to call it? Is it almost automatic or does it just never happen?
Old Thu Aug 31, 2017, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Men's league last night. On a run out lay up, defender slaps backboard hard. Partner calls the basket good. I tried to tell him it wasn't goaltending or interference but he was set in decision.

My question is this: in HS/NFHS, the only penalty can be a T in this situation. Correct? And how often have you had to call it? Is it almost automatic or does it just never happen?
Correct. Never seen it happen to the point that it was obviously not a play on the ball since hitting the board hard is not, by itself, reason for the T.
Old Thu Aug 31, 2017, 01:32pm
High Five Master

Last night the layup was from right and defense slapped left side very hard. IMO, should have been a T. Partner blew it first, counted bucket. I'm just a fill in and he is the regular so I went with it.
Old Thu Aug 31, 2017, 03:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Last night the layup was from right and defense slapped left side very hard. IMO, should have been a T. Partner blew it first, counted bucket. I'm just a fill in and he is the regular so I went with it.
Had it happen in the very first "real" game (military intramurals) I ever officiated right off the opening tap, and my partner came in an overruled my Technical call. Never had the play again in such a manner.
Old Thu Aug 31, 2017, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Last night the layup was from right and defense slapped left side very hard. ...
Yup, technical foul. Two FTs and the ball. No hoop.

Never had it happen, but as described, not a lot of judgement needed.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2017, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Yup, technical foul. Two FTs and the ball. No hoop.

Never had it happen, but as described, not a lot of judgement needed.
Unless the basket is made, correct? I can tell it's been a while since last season.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2017, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Unless the basket is made, correct? I can tell it's been a while since last season.
Yes.

I think his point was that if the ball doesn't go in, you cannot ever count it for a backboard slap because a backboard slap is never BI under NFHS.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2017, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Correct....the shot stands on it own. The ball remains live until the shot is made or missed.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2017, 10:37am
Do not give a damn!!

The basket would count if the ball goes in the basket. It just would not be a BI. It would just be a result of the play. The T does not kill the ball in this situation. The action that causes the T is separate, regardless of the basket going in or not. Or at least that should be the mindset.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 01, 2017, 02:54pm
Lighten up, Francis.

NCAA-M rules differ on this, so be sure which rule set you're using.
Old Sat Sep 02, 2017, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
NCAA-M rules differ on this, so be sure which rule set you're using.

Since you brought it up, a slap like this in NCAA does not automatically warrant a BI call, right? The rim would still need to be moving as a result of the slap while the ball is on or within the basket or in the cylinder, correct?

Again, never BI in NFHS. I like how another poster pointed out that a foul by the defense (in this case a slapping T) does not cause the ball to become dead during a try. Heck, continuous motion even applies in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Sep 02, 2017, 09:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

Misunderstood Rules ...

Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference, nor is it goaltending, and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot, and accidentally slaps the backboard, it is neither a violation, nor is it a technical foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Sep 06, 2017, 12:43pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Since you brought it up, a slap like this in NCAA does not automatically warrant a BI call, right? The rim would still need to be moving as a result of the slap while the ball is on or within the basket or in the cylinder, correct?
NCAA-M 9.15.2.5: Basket interference occurs when a player "Causes the basket or backboard to vibrate when the ball is on or
within the basket or the backboard and/or is on or in the cylinder."
Old Thu Sep 07, 2017, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Many men's recreational leagues players, league managers, and officials hold the perspective that that they go by NCAA rules in men's league games; maybe, that is why they are penalizing such "backboard slapping" actions.

Also, in NF there is no goal-tending if for example during a layup try: the ball contacts the backboard and while on the way "up" (ascending), then defender blocks it before it begins the descending motion towards the rim. This is simply, a blocked shot/good defense. Of course when no call is made, one can oft hear the players, coaches, and fans expressions of "displeasure".
Old Thu Sep 07, 2017, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

I would be surprised if most wreck league players, coaches, directors, etc. even know what they're talking about when they say "we use NCAA rules." I highly doubt they're using a shot clock and highly doubt there's an RA painted on the floor. And outside of those two major FED/NCAA differences, your typical wreck participant won't be able to name many others.

Heck, even most wreck league officials probably don't have a thorough knowledge of NCAA rules. Which is why leagues acting like they play under that ruleset is comical.

Last edited by SC Official; Thu Sep 07, 2017 at 01:07pm.