The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backboard slap (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102893-backboard-slap.html)

BlueDevilRef Thu Aug 31, 2017 01:01pm

Backboard slap

Men's league last night. On a run out lay up, defender slaps backboard hard. Partner calls the basket good. I tried to tell him it wasn't goaltending or interference but he was set in decision.

My question is this: in HS/NFHS, the only penalty can be a T in this situation. Correct? And how often have you had to call it? Is it almost automatic or does it just never happen?

Camron Rust Thu Aug 31, 2017 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 1008923)
Men's league last night. On a run out lay up, defender slaps backboard hard. Partner calls the basket good. I tried to tell him it wasn't goaltending or interference but he was set in decision.

My question is this: in HS/NFHS, the only penalty can be a T in this situation. Correct? And how often have you had to call it? Is it almost automatic or does it just never happen?

Correct. Never seen it happen to the point that it was obviously not a play on the ball since hitting the board hard is not, by itself, reason for the T.

BlueDevilRef Thu Aug 31, 2017 01:32pm

Last night the layup was from right and defense slapped left side very hard. IMO, should have been a T. Partner blew it first, counted bucket. I'm just a fill in and he is the regular so I went with it.

Raymond Thu Aug 31, 2017 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 1008925)
Last night the layup was from right and defense slapped left side very hard. IMO, should have been a T. Partner blew it first, counted bucket. I'm just a fill in and he is the regular so I went with it.

Had it happen in the very first "real" game (military intramurals) I ever officiated right off the opening tap, and my partner came in an overruled my Technical call. Never had the play again in such a manner.

ODog Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 1008925)
Last night the layup was from right and defense slapped left side very hard. ...

Yup, technical foul. Two FTs and the ball. No hoop.

Never had it happen, but as described, not a lot of judgement needed.

UNIgiantslayers Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 1008929)
Yup, technical foul. Two FTs and the ball. No hoop.

Never had it happen, but as described, not a lot of judgement needed.

Unless the basket is made, correct? I can tell it's been a while since last season.

SC Official Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 1008935)
Unless the basket is made, correct? I can tell it's been a while since last season.

Yes.

I think his point was that if the ball doesn't go in, you cannot ever count it for a backboard slap because a backboard slap is never BI under NFHS.

Camron Rust Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 1008935)

Correct....the shot stands on it own. The ball remains live until the shot is made or missed.

JRutledge Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:37am

The basket would count if the ball goes in the basket. It just would not be a BI. It would just be a result of the play. The T does not kill the ball in this situation. The action that causes the T is separate, regardless of the basket going in or not. Or at least that should be the mindset.

Peace

Scrapper1 Fri Sep 01, 2017 02:54pm

NCAA-M rules differ on this, so be sure which rule set you're using.

crosscountry55 Sat Sep 02, 2017 07:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 1008941)
NCAA-M rules differ on this, so be sure which rule set you're using.

Since you brought it up, a slap like this in NCAA does not automatically warrant a BI call, right? The rim would still need to be moving as a result of the slap while the ball is on or within the basket or in the cylinder, correct?

Again, never BI in NFHS. I like how another poster pointed out that a foul by the defense (in this case a slapping T) does not cause the ball to become dead during a try. Heck, continuous motion even applies in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyMac Sat Sep 02, 2017 09:23am

Misunderstood Rules ...

Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference, nor is it goaltending, and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot, and accidentally slaps the backboard, it is neither a violation, nor is it a technical foul.

Scrapper1 Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1008943)
Since you brought it up, a slap like this in NCAA does not automatically warrant a BI call, right? The rim would still need to be moving as a result of the slap while the ball is on or within the basket or in the cylinder, correct?

NCAA-M 9.15.2.5: Basket interference occurs when a player "Causes the basket or backboard to vibrate when the ball is on or
within the basket or the backboard and/or is on or in the cylinder."

Kansas Ref Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:11pm

Many men's recreational leagues players, league managers, and officials hold the perspective that that they go by NCAA rules in men's league games; maybe, that is why they are penalizing such "backboard slapping" actions.

Also, in NF there is no goal-tending if for example during a layup try: the ball contacts the backboard and while on the way "up" (ascending), then defender blocks it before it begins the descending motion towards the rim. This is simply, a blocked shot/good defense. Of course when no call is made, one can oft hear the players, coaches, and fans expressions of "displeasure".:eek::confused:

SC Official Thu Sep 07, 2017 01:05pm

I would be surprised if most wreck league players, coaches, directors, etc. even know what they're talking about when they say "we use NCAA rules." I highly doubt they're using a shot clock and highly doubt there's an RA painted on the floor. And outside of those two major FED/NCAA differences, your typical wreck participant won't be able to name many others.

Heck, even most wreck league officials probably don't have a thorough knowledge of NCAA rules. Which is why leagues acting like they play under that ruleset is comical.