Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 14, 2017, 08:11am
This IS My Social Life

Casebook Revisions

2017-18 NFHS Basketball Casebook
Changes

A word-for-word comparison of the new casebook with last year’s issue revealed the following changes. There were several additions and no situations deleted.
Any errors or omissions, please let me know...

Was changed and expanded to include a Situation A and Situation B to account for the newly expanded coaches box rule 1-13-2.

Changed “…that officials must call technical fouls on team followers” to “…that officials must rule technical fouls on team followers…”

Changed the words “…the non-calling official…” to “…the non-ruling official…”

*** All the references last year throughout the casebook which erroneously retained the phrase “…20 seconds” have correctly been changed to “…15 seconds…” in the new casebook to correspond to the rule change to 2-12-5 implemented last year.

The phrase “…when time-out is called…” was changed to “…when time-out is requested...”

Added the situation with “illegal names/logos on the front and back” to correspond to the new rule 3-4-4 specifics this year.

The seemingly obvious error here has still not been corrected. It seems clear that it should read “(a) and (b) are illegal and intentional fouls due to excessive contact” instead of “In (a) illegal and in (b), intentional foul due to excessive contact.”

4.19.7D
Change “is called for a foul” to “the action is ruled a foul”

. . . remains as it was last year, which seems to strengthen the widespread opinion that no significant change was meant when they, unannounced, removed the word “legally” from rule 4-42-5a.

Added to account for the corresponding new rule regarding the warning given to a coach.

Changed the phrase “end of period” to “end of quarter”.

7.5.7B
Changed the phrase “…run the endline” to “move along the endline”

7.5.7D
Changed the phrase “…is called for an intentional foul” to “commits an intentional foul”.

9.1.3E and 9.1.3G
Changed “disconcerted” to “distracted”.

9.2.1B
Changed “should be called…” to “should be ruled”

9.12B
Last year’s error, “will be given the ball for a throw-in on the sideline at the free throw line extended”, is corrected to read, a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation.”

10.5.1B –NEW—
Regards if a team member verbally abuses one of the officials in the hallway at half-time.

The words “awarded two free throws and the ball” changed to “two free throws and a division-line throw-in”.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2017, 05:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Superfluous ...

The phrase “…when time-out is called…” was changed to “…when time-out is requested...”

When I discuss basketball rules, I like to use rule language as much as possible, so I'm a big "time out requested" and "time out granted" guy.

Others may find this superfluous, and are simply "timeout called" guys.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)