The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 24, 2017, 07:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Funny, this was already stated some time ago. Not sure why this was so hard in the first place.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 25, 2017, 05:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Pay Attention ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Not sure why this was so hard in the first place.
Due to a conflict between an "official" IAABO International (200 local boards in 38 states) "interpretation" and the actual NFHS rule (with a generic, nonbasketball specific position statement).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 25, 2017 at 05:53am.
Old Mon Sep 25, 2017, 09:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Due to a conflict between an "official" IAABO International (200 local boards in 38 states) "interpretation" and the actual NFHS rule (with a generic, nonbasketball specific position statement).
And if this is an issue, this is why places where I live, people do not belong to that organization, even when they had the chance. The best thing they do is the videos with NASO/Referee Magazine, but outside of that, they are garbage if this kind of stuff cannot be easily resolved. Again, this rule or interpretation was put out some time ago. My state as I said before stated their specific position on these devices. If a guy on the NF committee or has access to that committee cannot resolve this simple issue, then you should worry more about the credibility of the organization, not what some article you might write for them.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 25, 2017, 04:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Jumped The Gun ...

Quote:
And if this is an issue ...
The 'international' interpreter has retired and there is now a group of interpreters who have replaced him.

He was very good, hard working, but sometimes overstepped the purpose of IAABO and interpreted NFHS rules, something that only the NFHS should do.

Like when we went back to moving into the lane on the release. IAABO alone came out with an interpretation not to allow a player on the lane to cross the free throw line until the ball hit. The NFHS eventually did come out with that interpretation, but it was a full year after the IAABO unilateral interpretation came out.

Last year it was "Concussion Headbands – No Restrictions". Where did that come from? Left field?

Let's not throw out the baby with the bath water. Overall, within it's purpose, which is educating basketball officials, IAABO is a great organization.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 25, 2017 at 10:32pm.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2017, 10:01am
Stubborn Member

I'm listening to the online state meeting right now and I thought it was worth adding that it said that in Ohio concussion headbands are legal to wear without any sort of permission from the OHSAA or a physician.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2017, 11:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I'm listening to the online state meeting right now and I thought it was worth adding that it said that in Ohio concussion headbands are legal to wear without any sort of permission from the OHSAA or a physician.
The only indication we have gotten is that they can wear a head covering for medical reasons. But the specific head covering for concussions has not been approved at least in Illinois to my knowledge. I even got that impression in my newer area that is not necessarily approved but I am still waiting for more information on that fact.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 27, 2017, 11:02am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
The only indication we have gotten is that they can wear a head covering for medical reasons. But the specific head covering for concussions has not been approved at least in Illinois to my knowledge. I even got that impression in my newer area that is not necessarily approved but I am still waiting for more information on that fact.

Peace
Yeah, I'm speaking in terms of Ohio only.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2017, 11:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Yeah, I'm speaking in terms of Ohio only.
I never suggested you were not. I was commenting that it appears nothing has changed in other places as of yet. States can always come up with their own policy on medical issues. I wonder what will happen with states that border Ohio and teams play in other states from Ohio and how those things will be handled.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 27, 2017, 11:21am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
I never suggested you were not. I was commenting that it appears nothing has changed in other places as of yet. States can always come up with their own policy on medical issues. I wonder what will happen with states that border Ohio and teams play in other states from Ohio and how those things will be handled.

Peace
Sorry, misread your post. Trying to do too many things at once here.