The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

travel off a dribble.

Im a new Ref studying for my test. I was watching this highschool game online for some practice and came across an akward play(link below).

https://youtu.be/3uh7dtDSv1I?t=11m27s

At 11:35 when #5 gains possession of the ball he establishes his left foot as his pivot. Seems to me his pivot comes off the ground before the ball leaves his hand to start dribbling. Shouldn't this be a travel.

Secondly. When #5 continues the play and "jump stops'; isn't this a travel as well. He has gathered the ball with his left foot on the ground, then does not land simultaneously on both feet.

thoughts?
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

If you're talking about the play on 11:35 film time, I do not see a travel off the dribble. The jump stop is by definition a travel. Left off one foot and came down one foot at a time. These plays are hard to pick up as there is a lot if activity around the dribbler on the jump stop and an official may not always be paying as much attention to the feet as the other activity.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Eh. I don't see a travel anywhere. Certainly not at 11:35 and I don't think he gathers the dribble until he's mid-air on that "Jump stop."
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
Eh. I don't see a travel anywhere. Certainly not at 11:35 and I don't think he gathers the dribble until he's mid-air on that "Jump stop."
What do you mean by "gather?" What does that word mean?
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

travel off a dribble.

What BigCat would have said if he were in a better mood is that “gather” is announcer-speak for “ending the dribble.” The dribble ends while the dribbler is airborne. 2nd foot down is the pivot, but it doesn’t return to the floor until after the try has been released. No travel.

Frankly, even if the dribble had ended before the dribbler alighted with one foot, I’m probably not going to judge a simultaneous landing with any degree of certainty, and thus I’m passing on that one. If you call those marginal cases, A) often you’ll be wrong, and B) you’ll have a long season.

A wiseman once said: “Better to pass on a travel that was there than to call one that wasn’t.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 07:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

The term "gather" is not announcer speak at all. It is a description of when a dribble ends. To end the dribble the ball has to essentially be gathered by the ball handler for that dribble to stop or "caught" on some level. Just saying the dribble stops does not often explain what actually happened. I am all for rulebook terms, but rulebook terms do not describe everything.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 07:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

So much easier to embed the video BTW.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
What BigCat would have said if he were in a better mood is that “gather” is announcer-speak for “ending the dribble.”
Agree. "Gather", as is it is often used, is often referring to a point that is actually after the end of the dribble. Gather is typically used to describe a ball being secured in both hands or otherwise pulled into the body. But that is not how the end of a dribble is defined at any level. By definition, the dribble ends when the ball comes to rest in ONE or BOTH hands.

So, when a player gets one hand under the ball such that another dribble would be a carry, the dribble has ended and travel rules are in effect at that moment.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Take off is a travel but I had to freeze frame to see If foot came down after catch or on catch. By definition travel looked travelish but couldn’t see it for sure live.

Easier call is the pass to the player in question as passer clearly changes pivot feet on play. IME travels while not intended to be subjective are regionally often determined by impact and obviousness rather than letter of the law. As someone who has spent a long time being that guy on travels. You really don’t wanna be that guy.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

The dribble ends the moment hand goes under the ball. That's when you look to see what foot is on the ground. Which is the pivot. "Gather" makes people think the ball has to be caught/two hands before you look for the pivot. That's wrong. The term doesn't help. That's my opinion. And I agree with it��

Last edited by BigCat; Wed Oct 25, 2017 at 08:23pm.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
The dribble ends the moment hand goes under the ball. That's when you look to see what foot is on the ground. Which is the pivot. "Gather" makes people think the ball has to be caught/two hands before you look for the pivot. That's wrong. The term doesn't help. That's my opinion. And I agree with it��
That makes 6 of us.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 09:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
What if they grab it with one hand up top? There are players that do not need to put their hand under the ball to stop their dribble. So we cannot assume that is the only way to stop a dribble and neither does the rules suggest that is the only way to end a dribble. The rules actually says, "Catches or causes the ball to come to rest in one or both hands." It does not say the dribble only ends when the ball is under the hands or hands. The term is used to describe when a dribble ends as most people know what a "gather" of the ball means. Saying the dribble ends can mean different things to different people.

But when most players are trying to go to the basket and take a shot, they typically grab the ball with both hands.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What if they grab it with one hand up top? There are players that do not need to put their hand under the ball to stop their dribble. So we cannot assume that is the only way to stop a dribble and neither does the rules suggest that is the only way to end a dribble. The rules actually says, "Catches or causes the ball to come to rest in one or both hands." It does not say the dribble only ends when the ball is under the hands or hands. The term is used to describe when a dribble ends as most people know what a "gather" of the ball means. Saying the dribble ends can mean different things to different people.

But when most players are trying to go to the basket and take a shot, they typically grab the ball with both hands.

Peace
Yeah, you can end the dribble with hand on top by palming it. Ending the dribble is the way to describe it. Gather makes people think two hands are required. And when most people go to the basket the dribble ends in one hand and the other is comes right after. Very rarely does the dribble end with both hands on ball at same time. Left or right hand brings it to the other. Gather makes people think two hands required. Not the rule.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
You understand that dribble can end with one hand on bottom top etc. that's what gather means to you. But to most people when they hear gather they think two hands required. Dribble ends covers everything.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 10:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yeah, you can end the dribble with hand on top by palming it. Ending the dribble is the way to describe it. Gather makes people think two hands are required. And when most people go to the basket the dribble ends in one hand and the other is comes right after. Very rarely does the dribble end with both hands on ball at same time. Left or right hand brings it to the other. Gather makes people think two hands required. Not the rule.
Again in my experience, most players stop the dribble when they want to pass and shoot and do so with both hands. Usually, they are showboating or making a very risky play if they do not grab the ball with both hands. And to many, that is how we were taught on some level to grab the ball.

Also, I think if you are splitting hairs with how a dribble ends when the player is bringing the ball to both of their hands, then you will be awful inconsistent (IMO) in trying to determine what a fast moving player is doing. I like to use the "gather" or when players being the ball together with both of their hands because it is clearer when that took place and most of the time.

So you lose me when you want to make it sound like the use of "gather" is confusing when that is what players do on these kinds of play and they make a move to the basket as in this video. He attempted a jump stop and shot attempt. It is just a line of demarcation. It is not the only way a dribble can end, but most plays like this do not end any other way.

Peace