Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 13, 2017, 05:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Put This To Bed ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The citation in the Simplified and Illustrated Rulebook (2017-2018) requiring state approval for padded protective headbands is clear, unambiguous, and definitive.
Quote:
JRutledge: If you have a few extra minutes could you please post the exact wording used in the Simplified and Illustrated Rulebook (2017-2018) regarding such devices (padded protective headbands)?
I would still like to see the actual wording of the citation. Is it generic to all medically necessitated head coverings, or specific to padded protective headbands, including one type that almost looks like a regular legal headband, just a little more padded?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 13, 2017 at 05:56am.
Old Wed Sep 13, 2017, 07:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Only 3 posts in a row, you're not obsessing Billy.
Old Wed Sep 13, 2017, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I blame whoever it was who commented on how slow the board was. Sometimes, slow is better than the alternative.
Old Thu Sep 14, 2017, 01:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

New Dance Craze ???

Quote:
One was a "bump".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Sep 14, 2017, 09:55am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I would still like to see the actual wording of the citation. Is it generic to all medically necessitated head coverings, or specific to padded protective headbands, including one type that almost looks like a regular legal headband, just a little more padded?
It is not just the wording, it is the picture. And if you want to see everything, go buy the book. Been moving and really do not have the energy to post this so that you can see something that has already been addressed in previous years. Seems like you are the main one worried about this. I hope you get block-charges right as much as you spend time on this very specific situation.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 14, 2017, 05:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Background ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Seems like you are the main one worried about this.
You live in a state where your referee association, and/or your state interscholastic sport governing body (perhaps independent of the NFHS, perhaps not) made padded protective headbands illegal. No fuss. No bother. No mess. Crystal clear. (I still question how the padded protective headband that pretty much looks like a regular headband (a little puffier) can be made illegal, but that's just my professional curiosity.)

I live in a state that unilaterally (independent of the NFHS, and independent of IAABO International) made padded protective headbands legal, with no color restrictions (like knee braces). That was several years ago and only in Connecticut (we call stuff like this "Connecticut Only Rules And/Or Mechanics" (there are just a few)).

Last year IAABO International made an interpretation that padded protective headbands were legal, with no color restrictions, I believe, independent of NFHS rules. This IAABO interpretation was, obviously, only for games officiated by IAABO members.

While I was preparing an educational article regarding equipment restrictions, I came up against these conflicting (IAABO vs. NFHS) interpretations, so I've been trying sort this out. I do not want my article published unless I can back up everything that I've written in the article. I'm not "worried" about the rule/interpretation, I'm "worried" about my professional reputation as a basketball official educator after my article is published.

Hopefully, I'll get some closure from my local interpreter after he attends the NFHS Interpretation Meeting in Indianapolis on September 21, 2017. After that all should be the same under both NFHS and IAABO rules/interpretations, or at least, IAABO will acknowledge that its interpretation is in conflict with NFHS rules.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Sep 14, 2017 at 05:57pm.
Old Thu Sep 14, 2017, 07:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You live in a state where your referee association, and/or your state interscholastic sport governing body (perhaps independent of the NFHS, perhaps not) made padded protective headbands illegal. No fuss. No bother. No mess. Crystal clear. (I still question how the padded protective headband that pretty much looks like a regular headband (a little puffier) can be made illegal, but that's just my professional curiosity.)
Our local official's association that I belong to have no "interpretation" role in our state. The IHSA is the only body that can give an official interpretation. Even as a State Clinician, we only go by what we are told to do or can go to our Head Clinician for clarification as needed. But the IHSA already ruled on this.

Quote:
I live in a state that unilaterally (independent of the NFHS, and independent of IAABO International) made padded protective headbands legal, with no color restrictions (like knee braces). That was several years ago and only in Connecticut (we call stuff like this "Connecticut Only Rules And/Or Mechanics" (there are just a few)).

Last year IAABO International made an interpretation that padded protective headbands were legal, with no color restrictions, I believe, independent of NFHS rules. This IAABO interpretation was, obviously, only for games officiated by IAABO members.
Well, take that up with your local association. Not sure why you are asking the NF to rule on something they have already seemed to rule on. The NF is not likely to change or add more to what they have already stated.

Quote:
While I was preparing an educational article regarding equipment restrictions, I came up against these conflicting (IAABO vs. NFHS) interpretations, so I've been trying sort this out. I do not want my article published unless I can back up everything that I've written in the article. I'm not "worried" about the rule/interpretation, I'm "worried" about my professional reputation as a basketball official educator after my article is published.
Fair enough, but this was already discussed here. Maybe you need to contact your higher ups and not keep whining here? I, me and we have told you what we know. If you are that concerned, it is time to pick up the phone or send an email to the people that are over your association. This has always been my issue with IAABO and never join them if you cannot get something this simple clarified.

Quote:
Hopefully, I'll get some closure from my local interpreter after he attends the NFHS Interpretation Meeting in Indianapolis on September 21, 2017. After that, all should be the same under both NFHS and IAABO rules/interpretations, or at least, IAABO will acknowledge that its interpretation is in conflict with NFHS rules.
I am sure he has more to worry about than this issue. BUT if he doesn't, let him tell you what you need to know. But otherwise, we are not in a position to tell you any more than we know.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 14, 2017, 07:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Check, Check, Check ...

Quote:
... take that up with your local association ... contact your higher ups ... send an email to the people that are over your association ... he has more to worry about than this issue.
My article will go far beyond my local association, it will go out to thousands (200 local boards in 38 states) of IAABO members, so the interpretation must go beyond local.

That was the purpose of my most recent posts, to let Forum members know, especially those who are IAABO members, that my local interpreter will first be addressing this issue with IAABO International, and then he will address it with the NFHS. If that's not higher ups then I don't know what a higher up is. I have personally contacted the Executive Director of IAABO to discuss the matter which will be on the agenda and be discussed at the IAABO Fall Seminar over the next few days. And my local interpreter is anxious to come up with a solid, hopefully single, interpretation regarding this issue, he's a great interpreter and educator.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Sep 14, 2017 at 07:30pm.
Old Thu Sep 14, 2017, 08:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
My article will go far beyond my local association, it will go out to thousands (200 local boards in 38 states) of IAABO members, so the interpretation must go beyond local.

That was the purpose of my most recent posts, to let Forum members know, especially those who are IAABO members, that my local interpreter will first be addressing this issue with IAABO International, and then he will address it with the NFHS. If that's not higher ups then I don't know what a higher up is. I have personally contacted the Executive Director of IAABO to discuss the matter which will be on the agenda and be discussed at the IAABO Fall Seminar over the next few days. And my local interpreter is anxious to come up with a solid, hopefully single, interpretation regarding this issue, he's a great interpreter and educator.
Why don't you just write the article just on what you know? Seems simple enough. Then if they come out later with an interpretation, that can be noted? Is this really that hard?

Peace
Old Fri Sep 15, 2017, 05:41am
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Steps Ahead Of You ...

Quote:
Why don't you just write the article just on what you know?
I'm way ahead of you.

I was all set to do that with the following line:

IAABO has determined that padded protective headbands (often called concussion headbands), are legal and, like knee braces, are under no color restrictions.

The Executive Director of IAABO wanted to change that to:

Padded protective headbands (often called concussion headbands), are legal and, like knee braces, are under no color restrictions.

I refused his edit and pointed out the conflict in the NFHS and IAABO interpretations. He decided to wait until after the IAABO Fall Seminar (occurring now) and the NFHS Interpretation Meeting in Indianapolis on September 21, 2017, for clarification on this issue. My local interpreter, as a member of the Education Committee, will be leading the charge on this clarification. When the dust clears, either all should be the same (one way or the other) under both NFHS and IAABO rules/interpretations, or IAABO will acknowledge that its interpretation is in conflict with NFHS rules.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Sep 15, 2017 at 05:49am.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2017, 08:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Hopefully, I'll get some closure from my local interpreter after he attends the NFHS Interpretation Meeting in Indianapolis on September 21, 2017. After that all should be the same under both NFHS and IAABO rules/interpretations, or at least, IAABO will acknowledge that its interpretation is in conflict with NFHS rules.
So what if NFHS and IAABO are not the same? Publish what applies to IAABO and your state.

Or, don't address the subject at all in your article. No one will notice or care that it is not addressed.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2017, 04:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thousands ???

Quote:
Publish what applies to IAABO and your state.
My article will go far beyond my state association, it will go out to thousands (200 local boards in 38 states) of IAABO members.

It's the IAABO International Executive Director who wants to edit my article, and he wants to wait until the NFHS Interpretation Meeting in Indianapolis on September 21, 2017, for further clarification. I was content to just call it an IAABO "Only" interpretation.

Old Sun Sep 24, 2017, 08:50am
Esteemed Forum Member

States' Rights ...

My local IAABO board interpreter came back from the NFHS Interpretation Meeting this past week in Indianapolis with the following information regarding padded protective headbands.

According to the NFHS, padded protective headbands are medical devices that must be approved by state associations on an individual basis, in other words, it's up to each individual state.

About twenty states were represented at the NFHS Interpretation Meeting in Indianapolis. Some states do not allow padded protective headbands under any circumstances. Some states allow padded protective headbands but must have a licensed medical physician's statement before the state association can approve such a medical device.

I'm sure that IAABO will amend their statement that padded protective headbands are "legal". Well, I can only hope.

It appears that under the NFHS guidelines, in those states where padded protective headbands are allowed under medical device restrictions, there may be no color restrictions on such medical devices. At least that's my take on this aspect of the situation.

Since my educational article about equipment restriction rules will go out to thirty-eight different IAABO states, I plan to simply delete any statement regarding padded protective headbands. I hope that the IAABO International Executive Director will agree with my edit.

Quote:
... don't address the subject at all in your article.
Amen.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 24, 2017 at 01:25pm.
Old Sun Sep 24, 2017, 09:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

Final Edit ???

Here's the (hopefully) final edit of my educational article. Thanks to all those Forum members who offered their assistance in this endeavor.

"Badges? We Don't Need No Stinking Badges”

What does officiating the game of basketball have to do with a quote from the 1974 Mel Brooks satirical Western comedy film, Blazing Saddles? When it comes to the enforcement of so-called “Fashion Police” rules, not only do basketball officials not need badges, many officials don’t even want badges. Officials love the challenge of calling a great game: block or charge; advantage/disadvantage on fouls; working with a good partner to get all out of bounds calls correct, etc. That said, many officials don't relish telling players that they can’t participate while wearing an illegal color undershirt, or an illegal color headband.

Yet, the National Federation of State High School Associations, the International Association of Approved Basketball Officials, and state associations (state interscholastic sports governing bodies), want these equipment rules enforced, that is why they are in the rulebook.

The NFHS made changes to equipment restriction rules over the past few years that often confused some officials. In an effort to simplify the rules, references to “school color” have now been completely removed from the rulebook. Tights are now allowed, and compression shorts are to be treated the same as any other equipment item (compression shorts must no longer be the same color as the uniform shorts but now must be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the uniform jersey).

Rules regarding undershirts are the most restrictive, and should be the easiest to enforce by officials. Undershirts must be similar in color to the uniform jersey. According to NFHS rules, the home team must wear white uniform jerseys. Therefore, the only legal undershirt color for home players would be white, and only white. Players on the visiting team, wearing their dark road jerseys, must wear dark colored undershirts similar in color to their dark color uniform jerseys. “School color” doesn't apply to undershirts since “school color” is not mentioned in the current NFHS rulebook. Undershirts may not have frayed edges, and undershirt sleeves shall be the same length. Note that this rule does not require all players to wear the same length sleeves on their undershirts, but each individual player must have sleeves the same length on the undershirt when worn.

There is a wider array of legal color options for other equipment items such as headbands, wristbands, arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, compression shorts, and tights. All of these equipment items must be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the uniform jersey. All of these items shall be the same color as worn by each player. Additionally, all of these items shall be the same color for all members of a team who choose to wear them. Again, “school color” doesn't apply to these equipment items since “school color” is not mentioned in the current NFHS rulebook.

Furthermore, anything worn on the arm or the leg (except a knee brace), is defined as a sleeve, including knee pads and elbow pads (must be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the uniform jersey). Only a single headband may be worn on the head, and headbands are not allowed to have extensions or tails. Only one moisture absorbing wristband is permitted on each wrist, and each wristband must be worn on the arm below the elbow.

By rule, exceptions to equipment color restrictions include rubber, cloth, or elastic bands, used to control hair. Such soft hair control devices (e.g., ponytail holders) are under no color restrictions. Hard hair control devices including but not limited to beads, barrettes, and bobby pins, of any color, are prohibited. Remember, headbands go around the entire head (and must be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the uniform jersey), while soft hair control devices only go around hair and are under no color restrictions.
Another exception to equipment color restrictions deals with knee braces. Knee braces are not sleeves and are under no color restrictions. Knee braces are worn for a medical purpose to increase stability in the knee, and have embedded inserts to support the joint. Knee braces may, or may not have hinges, straps, or an opening over the knee cap. Remember that ordinary knee pads (as well as elbow pads) are treated as sleeves and fall under NFHS equipment color restrictions (solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the uniform jersey).

The NFHS has also addressed jewelry, as well as medical and religious items, over the past several years. Players may not participate, or even warmup, while wearing jewelry. Religious medals, or medical alert medals are not considered jewelry. A religious medal must be taped, and worn under the uniform. A medical alert medal must also be taped, and unlike a religious medal, may be visible.

State associations may, on an individual basis, based on documented evidence, permit players to participate while wearing a head covering for medical or religious reasons. The head covering must be not be abrasive, hard, or dangerous to any other player. It must be attached in such a way that is highly unlikely to come off during play.

According to the NFHS, padded protective headbands (often called concussion headbands) are medical devices that must be approved by state associations on an individual basis, in other words, it's up to each individual state. States that allow padded protective headbands must have proper documentation from a licensed medical physician before the state association can approve such a medical device. Officials should consult their state interscholastic sports governing body regarding guidelines on padded protective headbands.

The best time for officials to observe compliance with equipment restrictions is during pregame warmups. However, if players are wearing pregame warmup apparel over their game uniforms, it may be impossible to observe such equipment restrictions during the pregame warmup period. It’s then necessary that officials observe compliance with equipment restrictions for the starting players as they enter the court for the jump ball to begin the game. After the game begins, it’s also necessary for officials to observe compliance with equipment restrictions as substitutes are beckoned into the game.

Over the past few years, many basketball teams have held “Cancer Awareness Nights”. This often involves the wearing of special uniforms and equipment, often involving, but not limited to, players wearing the color pink. Officials should utilize common sense when dealing with these special circumstances.

Some equipment restriction rules are for safety reasons. Rules that restrict equipment colors benefit officials by allowing them to easily identify players on each team during fast paced action. Consistency among officials in the enforcement of equipment restriction rules will provide a unified statement to coaches. When some officials choose not to enforce these rules, they are only hurting the profession and setting up the next crew for criticism from the coaches, when, in fact, the officials who did not enforce the rules are the ones who deserve the criticism. For those officials contemplating not enforcing equipment restrictions because such rules have “nothing to do with the game of basketball”, in the words of author Roy T. Bennett, “Stop doing what is easy, or popular. Start doing what is right”.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 24, 2017 at 02:20pm.
Old Sun Sep 24, 2017, 02:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Final Draft ???

Quote:
I plan to simply delete any statement regarding padded protective headbands.
I spoke too soon. The IAABO International Executive Director wants me to add the following paragraph to my article:

According to the NFHS, padded protective headbands (often called concussion headbands) are medical devices that must be approved by state associations on an individual basis, in other words, it's up to each individual state. States that allow padded protective headbands must have proper documentation from a licensed medical physician before the state association can approve such a medical device. Officials should consult their state interscholastic sports governing body regarding guidelines on padded protective headbands.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 24, 2017 at 02:12pm.