The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Concussion Type Headbands ??? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102787-concussion-type-headbands.html)

BillyMac Tue Jul 04, 2017 04:09pm

Concussion Type Headbands ???

Has the NFHS ever come out with a rule, or interpretation, that states that concussion type headbands do not fall under equipment color restriction rules (similar to equipment color restriction rule exception for knee braces)?

I thought that they did, but I can't find any references. Did I dream this, or is this an IAABO interpretation (that I also can't find any reference to)?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...._AC_US218_.jpg

JRutledge Tue Jul 04, 2017 05:58pm

Well our state told us that these were illegal. I do not think the NF has directly addressed this situation.

Peace

Nevadaref Tue Jul 04, 2017 07:40pm

Such items are not permitted unless the state association has granted the wearer an exemption for either medical or religious reasons.

OKREF Tue Jul 04, 2017 08:06pm

We've been told if its for medical reasons that they are allowed.

SC Official Tue Jul 04, 2017 09:49pm

If I'm told it's for a medical reason, they can play. Not a battle I'm going to fight with respect to having "proper documentation." Let the state deal with it after the game.

Nevadaref Wed Jul 05, 2017 01:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1007471)
If I'm told it's for a medical reason, they can play. Not a battle I'm going to fight with respect to having "proper documentation." Let the state deal with it after the game.

If it's truly for a medical reason, then the team/player won't have any problem getting an exemption from the state authority. Until that is granted, I, as the Referee, cannot allow the kid to participate BY RULE.

BillyMac Wed Jul 05, 2017 06:19am

Pirates Do Like To Play Basketball In Their Spare Time ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1007472)
If it's truly for a medical reason, then the team/player won't have any problem getting an exemption from the state authority. Until that is granted, I, as the Referee, cannot allow the kid to participate BY RULE.

Devil's advocate here. Are there equipment color restrictions on medical devices such as eyeglasses, band aids, athletic tape, ankle braces, hearing aids, or eye patches? Does the state high school interscholastic sports governing body have to make exceptions for these equipment items? Does an official need to see documentation for such exceptions?

deecee Wed Jul 05, 2017 07:08am

[Facepalm Smiley Goes Here]

SC Official Wed Jul 05, 2017 08:18am

Quote:

If that's the way that works for you or the way it's expected from your assigner/association, great. Here, the expectation for things like this (which pose zero safety issues whatsoever) is to play along and write a report afterwards. If they didn't cross every T and dot every I, the state can issue the disciplinary action.

Raymond Wed Jul 05, 2017 08:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1007475)
Devil's advocate here. Are there equipment color restrictions on medical devices such as eyeglasses, band aids, athletic tape, ankle braces, hearing aids, or eye patches? Does the state high school interscholastic sports governing body have to make exceptions for these equipment items? Does an official need to see documentation for such exceptions?

Really Billy? The concern should be whether or not the equipment is allowed by your state, not what color it is.

JRutledge Wed Jul 05, 2017 08:56am

Quote:

We were told these were not appropriate for basketball. Similar to a player wearing a cast which is for medical reasons. I think that is why each state has to make their own decision here. I cannot think of any reason why this would be required for medical reasons. If you have a concussion, this is not likely going to help you prevent that considering how concussions actually work. If that was the case than football helmets would prevent concussions.

Peace

Rich Ives Wed Jul 05, 2017 09:11am

You need permission for protective equipment?

If this is for someone who HAS a concussion they shouldn't be playing anyhow.

If it's to prevent a concussion then why ban it?

If you can only have one only if you had a concussion in the past isn't that like telling a catcher or umpire they can't have a mask until after they've been hit in the face once?

john5396 Wed Jul 05, 2017 09:39am

Not fair or I think correct to say that football helmets or this type of headgear don't prevent concussions. It is perfectly reasonable and correct to say they don't prevent ALL concussions. That is very different from saying that headgear cannot reduce the frequency and severity of concussions.

I fully expect that gear manufacturers are using the science to reduce injuries even if they will never prevent all injuries.

JRutledge Wed Jul 05, 2017 09:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 1007489)
You need permission for protective equipment?

Yes. You cannot play with a cast or hard braces in basketball and never have as long as I have been an official.

If this is for someone who HAS a concussion they shouldn't be playing anyhow.

Kind of the point.

Quote:

If it's to prevent a concussion then why ban it?

Is there any evidence that these things actually prevent any injury? I mean a concussion is about how your brain goes up against your skull. The outside has little or nothing to do with preventing a concussion occurring. Similar devices are made for football helmets and the same scientific conclusion has been made before on those devices.

Quote:

If you can only have one only if you had a concussion in the past isn't that like telling a catcher or umpire they can't have a mask until after they've been hit in the face once?

Those prevent other injuries to the face and head. But if you get hit in the head right, you will still have concussion. But head gear in basketball can hurt or harm other players if they contact this device. This is what I feel is the reason these are not usually allowed in the first place. Players in basketball do not hit their head that hard typically to where this would prevent a problem.

Peace

JRutledge Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by john5396 (Post 1007495)
I fully expect that gear manufacturers are using the science to reduce injuries even if they will never prevent all injuries.

You mean that a company would sell something without proper science? :rolleyes: