The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 10:34am
This IS My Social Life

The last three paragraphs seem to have been added with the date stamp of June 7 to what was released to us last week.

Not intending at all to be critical of this or overly-analytical...just reporting what the news is.
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 10:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
The last three paragraphs seem to have been added with the date stamp of June 7 to what was released to us last week.

Not intending at all to be critical of this or overly-analytical...just reporting what the news is.
I did not see a difference, but I was not looking for one either. It looks very much like the same document they released when they made the change. I will have to go back to notice they added some things.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 11:48am
This IS My Social Life

Forgive me if this has been posted already . . .
An NFHS PowerPoint on the two rule changes relevant to the Fashion Police changes came out on their Arbiter Central Hub on June 4. I just know there are lots of you interested in this. Not that I am...just reporting the news.

https://nfhs-basketball.arbitersport...rm-Information
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Forgive me if this has been posted already . . .
An NFHS PowerPoint on the two rule changes relevant to the Fashion Police changes came out on their Arbiter Central Hub on June 4. I just know there are lots of you interested in this. Not that I am...just reporting the news.

https://nfhs-basketball.arbitersport...rm-Information
can you summarize, for those of us who do not have access to the NFHS group on Arbiter.
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 01:11pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
can you summarize, for those of us who do not have access to the NFHS group on Arbiter.
This formerly last bullet point was slightly revised to read like this:

> If one, two or three free throws are to be attempted, indicate the number of free throws by using one hand.

These three bullet points seem to have been added to the list:

> If the team is in the bonus for the seventh, eight of ninth foul, indicate the bonus situation raising both hands and display a raised index finger on each hand.

> If the foul is a team control foul, after the official signals the specific type of foul, the official will turn and signal such with an extended arm, closed fist parallel to the table and side line, indicating no free throws will be attempted.

> After reporting and if no free throws are to be attempted, the official will turn from the table and indicate the throw-in spot to resume play.
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 01:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Doesn't sound like much of a change, but a clarification with things we did already. Again, this is all much to do about nothing. Still trying to see the big draw to this mechanic.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 01:25pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...lpsVzRUOVNNckk
Old Fri Jun 09, 2017, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

When do the NFHS and NCAA '17-'18 rulebooks come out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jun 10, 2017, 03:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spret93 View Post
When do the NFHS and NCAA '17-'18 rulebooks come out?
According to the NF website, the Rulebooks come out in July the Casebook comes out in August. It looks like all the other books come out in August as well like Rules by Topic or Simplified and Illustrated Book.

Peace
Old Fri Jun 16, 2017, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Two Hands

I've been trying to use the two-hand reporting system during summer ball. Retraining myself and undoing ingrained habits is neither simple nor easy for this old dog.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2017, 04:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Old Dog, New Tricks ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
I've been trying to use the two-hand reporting system during summer ball. Retraining myself and undoing ingrained habits is neither simple nor easy for this old dog.
I'm not looking forward to this myself.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jun 16, 2017 at 04:32pm.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2017, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Now if people would just stop pointing at the bench when reporting the color....(where did that come from anyway?)
I'm pretty sue that was the mechanic back in the late '80's. I remember doing it and I wouldn't have unless that was in the officials manual as that was how I learned. It was the first thing when reporting; point to the offenders bench, "white, twenty-three, block"
Old Sun Jun 18, 2017, 02:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

1987. Can't remember ever doing it.
Old Sun Jun 18, 2017, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Anybody notice that in the points of emphasis it states

it is contact that:

• Contact on an opponent who is clearly not in the play

I thought i worked for the Department of redundancy Department... or no wonder we're confused on rules when they cant get a simple statement correct
Old Tue Nov 07, 2017, 05:17pm
Administrator

Unlisted change to NFHS R9-S1-A3c.

For those have been wondering why I have been mostly quiet for almost a year, there have been some changes in my life that have just made me take a more of the attitude of a quiet bystander.

None-the-less, while reading the NFHS and NCAA Men's and Women's Rules Books last night I came across a change in NFHS R9-S1-A3c which was not made in NCAA Men's and Women's R9-S1-A1f.

Last year:

NFHS R9-S1-A3c: "After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower no opponent shall disconcert the free thrower."

NCAA Men's R9-S1-A1f: "After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free-thrower, it is a violation when an opponent disconcerts (e.g. taunt, bait, gesture or delay) the free-thrower."

NCAA Women's R9-S1-A1f: "After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free-thrower, it is a violation when an opponent disconcerts (e.g. taunts, baits, gestures or delays) the free-thrower."

This year:

NFHS R9-S1-A3c: "After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower no opponent shall distract the free thrower."

NCAA Men's R9-S1-A1f: "After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free-thrower, it is a violation when an opponent disconcerts (e.g. taunt, bait, gesture or delay) the free-thrower."

NCAA Women's R9-S1-A1f: "After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free-thrower, it is a violation when an opponent disconcerts (e.g. taunts, baits, gestures or delays) the free-thrower."

Can anyone spot the change? Let the fun begin!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio