The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Any rumors on 2017-18 changes?

For NFHS. Rules or mechanics.

New printing year for mechanics manuals. I don't want to get my hopes up.

Last edited by SC Official; Mon Apr 24, 2017 at 04:23pm.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 05:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let The Countdown Begin ...

The NFHS released the 2016-17 rule changes on May 18, 2016 last year.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 05:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

While Visions Of Sugarplums Danced In Their Heads ...

Here are your "visions of sugarplums" according to the NFHS questionnaire that came out several months ago:

Beginning with a team’s fifth foul in each quarter, shoot one-and-one; and for the seventh foul, award a bonus free throw only if the first free throw is successful.

Beginning with the eighth foul of each quarter, awarding two free-throw bonus.

Starting a quarter – with the exception of overtime period – with team fouls at zero.

Assessing an administrative technical foul to the offending team for violation of the uniform, apparel, equipment and logo/trademark reference rules.

Switching colored uniforms to the home team and white for the visitor.

Extending the correctable error rule to two dead balls after the error.

Allowing officials to stop the clock and give an official warning, which is recorded in the scorebook, for unsportsmanlike behavior by the coach or team bench, when the offense falls below the threshold for a technical foul. After the official warning, any further issues result in a technical foul.

Allowing players to wear a bandanna style (tied) headband provided it meets color and width requirements.

Extending the optional coaching box to the end line (28 feet).

Beginning each quarter with team fouls at zero and start shooting bonus one-and-one at five fouls and bonus two shots at seven fouls in each quarter.

Reducing the number of time-outs from three 60-second and two 30-second time-outs to two 60-second and two 30-second time-outs per game. (Add one 30-second to overtime)

Initiating 30-second shot clock for boys and 35-second shot clock for girls.

Changing game from four quarters to two 20-minute halves (keep the bonus at seven team fouls, one-and-one, and 10 team fouls for two shots).

Charging an indirect technical to the head coach for any illegal uniforms or illegal apparel: headbands, wristbands, arm or leg compression sleeves.

Eliminating the bonus and shooting two free throws after the fifth foul in each quarter – with the foul count restarting in each quarter.

Reducing time-outs by one.

Beginning with the seventh team foul in each quarter, award a two-shot free-throw penalty, and erase team fouls beginning in each quarter.

Eliminating closely guarded count during a live dribble in the frontcourt or backcourt.

Eliminating time-outs granted to coaches during a live ball.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The NFHS released the 2016-17 rule changes on May 18, 2016 last year.

I believe the committee adjourned on 12 April. It usually takes about a month for the editors to completely butcher...er, uh...I mean...make the press release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 09:57pm
AremRed

I sent in several rules and mechanics change proposals so I am anxious to see if they listened.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I sent in several rules and mechanics change proposals so I am anxious to see if they listened.
Elaborate?
Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

I have the list of all proposed changes. I'll post it later tonight.
I have no knowledge at this time of which passed and which didn't.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 10:56pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Elaborate?
Just some basic stuff like cleaning up the TC foul during a throw-in language (thanks Adam), changing the goaltending rule to mirror every other major ruleset (NBA, FIBA, NCAA men and women), eliminating the resumption-of-play procedure (making it a delay of game warning), clarifying the headband rule in regard to the extensions that girls like to wear, some mechanics changes like adopting the NBA/NCAA-W floor coverage, the Lead being able to bounce the ball to the thrower on the sideline below FTLE, stuff like that.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 11:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When E. F. Hutton Talks, People Listen ...

Quote:
I took a break from that this year. Next year I'll again try to get the same penalty (violation) for leaving the court for an unauthorized reason as the penalty (violation instead of technical foul) for deliberately delaying returning to the court after a throwin.

I've had success in the past with the NFHS throwing out ambiguous language regarding the color of compression shorts (was it same color as shorts, or same color as uniform (jersey), or same color as equipment); putting cylinder language back (inadvertently dropped, it should be five criteria, not four) in the definition of goaltending; and getting the captain's request for a defensive matchup put back (inadvertently dropped) in the rule book.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 24, 2017 at 11:08pm.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 11:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Give That Man A Cigar ...

Quote:
Just some basic stuff like cleaning up the TC foul during a throw-in language ...
Regarding backcourt? If so, thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Old Tue Apr 25, 2017, 04:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I have the list of all proposed changes. I'll post it later tonight.
I have no knowledge at this time of which passed and which didn't.
List of proposed rule changes for consideration by the NFHS committee:
1. Increase coaching box from 14 to 28 feet.
2. Increase the coaching box as a state adoption.
3. Add language to 1-13-3 to clarify that bench personnel and players are to be in the time-out area during TOs and intermissions other than halftime.
4. Implement two-handed foul reporting instead of one.
5. Revert to the home team wearing light jerseys instead of white.
6. Restrictions on what identifying names may be placed on jerseys.
7. Specify which names may be placed where on the jerseys.
8. Sleeves and tights shall be black or white.
9. Ditto
10. Headbands and wristbands shall be black or white.
11. A rewording of the undershirt rule for clarity.
12. An attempt to change the TC and backcourt violation conflict. (IMO the language offered is incorrect and will only create further confusion.)
13. Fouls counted by quarter instead of halves. 1-1 on 5th and 6th. 2FTs on 7 and more fouls. OT is part of the 4th quarter and the fouls do NOT reset.
14. Eliminate the closely-guarded count.
15. An elbow in movement, but not excessive, making contact above the shoulders is an intentional foul.
16. Add a definition for inadvertent whistle.
17. Create an official behavior warning for coaches and bench personnel which gets reported and recorded in the book.
18. TOs by players only unless the ball is dead.
19. Ditto
20. An attempt to clarify the backcourt rule. (IMO the language used only creates more confusion.)
21. Allow a 30-second shot clock by state adoption.
22. The head coach is penalized with a direct T if a player wears illegal apparel or an illegal uniform while participating.
23. Ditto
24. Fouls by quarter. Eliminate the 1-1. 2FTs on the fifth foul and more. Doesn't specify about OT.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2017, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Tweaking the bonus rule would have been a tough sell because whether the committee liked it or not, the reality is that more than a few states have unilaterally chosen to play the game in halves.

Outside of that, some good ideas on the above list, and a few silly ones. Historically speaking, maybe one will get adopted. Maybe. The needle moves very slowly in NFHS rule making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Apr 25, 2017, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Tweaking the bonus rule would have been a tough sell because whether the committee liked it or not, the reality is that more than a few states have unilaterally chosen to play the game in halves.
The states that make up their own rules don't get a voice/vote on the rule changes for exactly this reason. If the NFHS decides to start counting team fouls by quarter, then the states play halves can make up their own rules on how to administer bonus free throws as well.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2017, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
The states that make up their own rules don't get a voice/vote on the rule changes for exactly this reason. If the NFHS decides to start counting team fouls by quarter, then the states play halves can make up their own rules on how to administer bonus free throws as well.
You're right. Adopting one's own rules without NFHS permission creates a slippery slope. Would the committee by sympathetic or apathetic to the slippery slope they might create by tweaking bonus rules? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I knows of eight states that have shot clocks and three that play the game in halves. Of those, only RI does both. So that's at least 10 states without rules committee representation that I know of, and there are probably a few more. At what point does this start to alarm the NFHS? And what do they do about it? If you gradually kick out all of your customers, eventually you either have to improve your customer service or go out of business.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2017, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
While they do not get a turn in the regional rotation to have a representative on the NFHS rules committee, those states are not prohibited from submitting rules changes for the committee's consideration as evidenced by California submitting a change proposal this year.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Apr 26, 2017 at 12:51am.