The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

And people wonder why it's so hard to get officials for these leagues.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/05273/580266.stm
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

All these cameras were rolling and no one recorded the block in question? Not that it really matters.....
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

And why are the officials still on the field after "The teams filter into the middle of the field to shake hands, and the chaos that had ensued for about five minutes seems to simply stop." I would have been to my car by then!
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Where I am the youth games are on Sunday, and with a young family, busy work week and declining sportsmanship at youth games, staying home on Sunday is a no-brainer.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Knowing youth game schedules, they probably had at least a doubleheader and had a second game to work. Just a theory.

I saw some nutty mom about come out of her skin when she thought some kid had been tackled in a flag football game. Kids are reaching for the flag, lose balance, falling into each other. Let me tell you, this ref, who is probably a nice person but little more than a warm body in a striped shirt, gave it right back to this lady. "The coach will handle it, lady. You stay quiet....." Classic
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

W&S, thanks for sharing. Stories like this make me sick to read and it's disgusting that adults act like this in front of kids. I really like working midget football but it's simply not that much fun any more.

If it wasn't for the officials assn I belong to at that level I'd quit and only do high school ball. We care so much about these kids....we have a golf outing and award something like $1000 in scholarship money to graduating seniors who once played in midgets where we officiate. The association where I belong is excellent and the officials take so much pride in what they do. Our founder actually worked the '86 (or '87) Cotton Bowl as the game referee and until 2 years ago still worked midget football!

I worked my first midget football of the season yesterday and worked the smallest kids (65 lbs.). I had coaches screaming about kids that size lined up in the NZ...gimme a frigging break!

I had a friend who was followed home about 6 years ago 95MPH by a van-full of guys because he threw a 15-yard USC against a kid who truly deserved it. The driver was banned for attending midget football for 2 years. This guy decided it wasn't worth it and doesn't work midgets any more. I can't imagine why!
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Saturday, fresh off a 83-12 game on Friday night, I show up at 9:00AM for pee wee games. Only to hear the same whinning from the coaches. The Defense can't move, uhh? The offense can only have 5 men on the line, uhh?

Coaches coaching only to promote their own child. This was a problem for me Saturday. We had two officials to work three games that day before leaving to another 3 games up the road. After the game, I explained to the HC of the high school program who at this point has one win under their belt why in my opinion is program was down. The coaching, they don't teach, they just want to win! Kids do not even know how to line up on the ball, officials basically have to always line up the players to prevent flag after flag. Then if you throw one, they say, "you miss one earlier," you guys have heard it before. One coach verbally abusive with profanity toward the players while in TO, this is 3-4 and 5-6 grade children.

Well, I then leave to finish out the day, working for free for the Shriner's, three great games. Only two USC on two different coaches and teams, not at bad evening. I worked from 9AM to 7:30PM Saturday, just to hear coaches whine over anything and everything. The reward was walking off the field knowing that the latter part of the day was great, donations to the Shriner's, to help local kids in need of medical needs.