The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

To Current College Officials:

I am interested in earning a spot and moving into college ball next year. My understanding is that you usually work into junior college ball and then onto higher divisions once you've earned the right to do so.

I would like to hear from any on you that have moved from high school to college games. What are the most important things to consider? What helped the most to prepare for the differences in college vs. high school (studying the NCAA rules, assumed). What changes in mechanics are there? Iknow some of this will be politics, any tips?

Would appreciate feedback from those that have made (are making) the journey.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't there anyone from your association who is a college official?
That would be a good place to start, talk to them see what is needed and how you go about it.

I know in pa. they want you to have worked at least 25 varsity games.

who you know means alot also.
I know most of the guys in my association started out doing Div 3 games and two are now in the NFL

Im sure availablity also means a lot.

good luck
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Who's your NFL guys? How long did they have to work D1? We have one NFL U (129 - Bill Schuster) from our chapter, who worked the Big East for 5 years, 3 in NFLE and then got the call. He's on Bernie Kukar's crew now. He worked the Seattle-Raider game where Ricky Watters broke a long run but was stripped at about the 5, Marquez Pope grabbed the fumble and slid into the end zone, was touched by Watters and a safety (correct at the time) was called. The NFL went on to change the momentum rule to include grounded fumbles in part because of that play. He stated that they were informed while still in their locker room that a death threat had been called in against the R (Kukar). Hence, NFL security would be a little tighter when they left the stadium. They all have their names embroidered on their bags, so Kukar made Schuster (then a rookie) carry his bag as they left. Rookies take all the crap in everywhere!

His stories about the scrutiny that he and all the other NFL guys are subjected to make anything high school guys get seem pretty small. The preparation, concentration, and knowledge these guys have is what I'm shooting for.

[Edited by ABoselli on Dec 21st, 2002 at 09:22 AM]
Old Tue Dec 24, 2002, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

John Schleyer Head Linesmen worked SBXXXII

Ron Marinucci Line Judge worked a couple playoffs so SB's yet.

How many D1 games did they work? I can't really say but at meetings they tell us to have at least 25 high school varisty games before going into college. Starting at the d3 level and working your way up. It also helps to know someone. as you may know the NFL officials offices were in Philadelphia for many many years before moving. So Philadelphia has had many NFL officials.

Not positive but I think you have to work 5 years at the D1 level before you can even get tested for the NFL.