The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 16, 2017, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

The less I have to worry about anything other than the behavior of the coach, the easier my job is. We've always had the tools to deal with misbehavior; now we have even more tools with the box expanding down to the end line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach41 View Post
The new warning rule is interesting though I didn't apply it. I had a bang-bang play that I called a block and the coach went ballistic. She was yelling at me and stomping her feet. After I reported the foul I issued the technical. I assume that would be considered a major situation!
Assigners and associations will all have varying expectations of infractions considered "major" or not. However, under the new rules, she's at the very least getting her warning, and if she protests after that (which is probable), she's getting the seatbelt.

IMO, if a coach continues to act up after the warning, (s)he wants to get whacked, so I'll oblige.
Old Tue May 16, 2017, 09:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

I don't mind giving a coach a free one under most circumstances. I'm not perfect and neither are they.
Old Tue May 16, 2017, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach41 View Post

The new warning rule is interesting though I didn't apply it. I had a bang-bang play that I called a block and the coach went ballistic. She was yelling at me and stomping her feet. After I reported the foul I issued the technical. I assume that would be considered a major situation!
"Ballistic"? "Yelling at me"? "Stomping her feet"? In a 7th grade game?

This is one big problem that should never happen at this level. Coaches should be teaching that coaches coach. They should be teaching utmost respect for any official decision involving judgement. I could go on and on but it would be pointless I guess. AD's need to do a better job of hiring coaches, surely at these levels.
Old Tue May 16, 2017, 02:30pm
This IS My Social Life

With the onset of two-handed reporting to the table, I'm looking for images of officials doing that. If anybody has any to share with me, please PM me or respond with a link to where I can access them.
Thanx....
Old Tue May 16, 2017, 03:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
With the onset of two-handed reporting to the table ...
Breaking news. This just in. The NFHS has released two hand reporting guidelines and has indicated that three point field goal attempts will also be signaled by two hands. When a player attempts a field goal from behind the three point arc, the nearest official will signal with two hands at head height, showing two fingers on one hand, and one finger on the other.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue May 16, 2017, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Breaking news. This just in. The NFHS has released two hand reporting guidelines and has indicated that three point field goal attempts will also be signaled by two hands. When a player attempts a field goal from behind the three point arc, the nearest official will signal with two hands at head height, showing two fingers on one hand, and one finger on the other.

Which finger on the hand with one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue May 16, 2017, 06:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Surfin Bird (The Trashmen, 1963) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Which finger on the hand with one?
It depends on what information you want to convey to the coaches, and fans.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 16, 2017 at 06:38pm.
Old Tue May 16, 2017, 06:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It depends on what information you want to convey to the coaches, and fans.
And also what information the fans want to convey to the players.

Old Fri May 19, 2017, 05:29pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Tues night, I did my first game with two-handed reporting.......I have work to do to feel comfortable. Most importantly for me, I took my time and thought about it (twas a Rec league).
Old Fri May 19, 2017, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
...with the box expanding down to the end line.
Nope. Read it again. Smiley face.
Old Mon May 22, 2017, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Our state allowed optional 2-hand reporting last year. I'm going to camp toward the end of June and can't wait to see if I can tell who was using it last year and who is new to it this year. One of my partners said he'd buy the first round if more than 5 people at camp have trouble with it. I'm thinking he'll be ponying up.
Old Mon May 22, 2017, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Our state allowed optional 2-hand reporting last year. I'm going to camp toward the end of June and can't wait to see if I can tell who was using it last year and who is new to it this year. One of my partners said he'd buy the first round if more than 5 people at camp have trouble with it. I'm thinking he'll be ponying up.

The issue with camp games (and summer ball, AAU, and lots of other off-season basketball) are all of the illegal numbers. I turn my hand sideways for digits 6 and greater (e.g. "7" = sideways 2). This will be tricky for officials and table personnel new to 2H reporting.

Old Mon May 22, 2017, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
The issue with camp games (and summer ball, AAU, and lots of other off-season basketball) are all of the illegal numbers. I turn my hand sideways for digits 6 and greater (e.g. "7" = sideways 2). This will be tricky for officials and table personnel new to 2H reporting.

That's what a guy I work with does too. During summer ball or AAU where I'm not being observed, I just yell it 3 times from the other end of the court and put the ball back in play
Old Mon May 22, 2017, 04:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Connecticut, Do As ...

Connecticut uses 99% IAABO (not NFHS) mechanics.

I can't wait to see if:

1) Connecticut switches to two hand reporting.

2) Connecticut switches to orally stating numbers rather than numerals (as we currently do), i.e., orally state, "Twenty-three", instead of, "Two. Three".

Old Mon May 22, 2017, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
That's what a guy I work with does too. During summer ball or AAU where I'm not being observed, I just yell it 3 times from the other end of the court and put the ball back in play
Unless it's a running clock, in which case I walk slowly over to the table and help the scorer write the foul in the correct box before slowly walking back to administer the throw-in.