The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 21, 2017, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

NBA and traveling

I could not believe my eyes watching Memphis vs Spurs last night. I saw NBA officials actuallly adjudicate 3 or more travel rulings and and a double dribble.

Just saw a travel in the Boston vs Bulls game today. I am all in the NBA playoffs this year.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2017, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

I'll never understand why so many officials get worked up about an entertainment league having its own standards and interpretations by which it rules the legality of certain actions.

Makes no sense me.
Old Sat Apr 22, 2017, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I'll never understand why so many officials get worked up about an entertainment league having its own standards and interpretations by which it rules the legality of certain actions.

Makes no sense me.
Because this is what the kids see and try to emulate. Kids are looking at the NBA players as role models and when this stuff is allowed at the "entertainment" level, it affects the lower levels of the game.
Old Sat Apr 22, 2017, 12:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
I could not believe my eyes watching Memphis vs Spurs last night. I saw NBA officials actuallly adjudicate 3 or more travel rulings and and a double dribble.

Just saw a travel in the Boston vs Bulls game today. I am all in the NBA playoffs this year.
You probably do not watch much NBA. I see travels called all the time when I decide to watch the game. Seem them called against even top players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefRich View Post
Because this is what the kids see and try to emulate. Kids are looking at the NBA players as role models and when this stuff is allowed at the "entertainment" level, it affects the lower levels of the game.
Who cares what they try to do? The NFL has totally different rules than high school too. No one seems to go around worrying about what the NFL allows in relationship to kids or being role models. If they do, then get flagged and they learn quick. I do not care what anyone does on TV, because they are not at that level and I certainly am not there as well.

Peace
Old Sat Apr 22, 2017, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You probably do not watch much NBA. I see travels called all the time when I decide to watch the game. Seem them called against even top players.

Who cares what they try to do? The NFL has totally different rules than high school too. No one seems to go around worrying about what the NFL allows in relationship to kids or being role models. If they do, then get flagged and they learn quick. I do not care what anyone does on TV, because they are not at that level and I certainly am not there as well.

Peace
Football is much different than basketball. To be fair, I don't watch much football so I don't know the differences. However, since I do referee basketball I see exactly how kids, in elementary school and high school, try to do what NBA players are doing. You also hear many times how, "well that's what Lebron does." There are differences in rules from the pros to high school in most sports I would think but those don't correlate the way basketball does.

What is allowed in the NFL that elementary and high school kids would try and copy?
Old Sat Apr 22, 2017, 02:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
What is allowed in the NFL that elementary and high school kids would try and copy?
Taking performance enhancement drugs.
Old Sat Apr 22, 2017, 02:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Football is much different than basketball. To be fair, I don't watch much football so I don't know the differences. However, since I do referee basketball I see exactly how kids, in elementary school and high school, try to do what NBA players are doing. You also hear many times how, "well that's what Lebron does." There are differences in rules from the pros to high school in most sports I would think but those don't correlate the way basketball does.
Football has many more rules differences. And people complain all the time based off what they see on both the NFL and NCAA level when it does not apply to the NF. Just the entire targeting rules are often complained about to the level where when they are called they want us to enforce the college rule (which requires ejection when they take place). And I work both football and basketball and I do not go around worrying about what kids see in either. Heck most of the time officials cannot call a travel correctly when certain moves are done, like the Euro Step or even a Jump Stop.

And I live in an area where many NBA players are from and I never hear anyone reference what a specific player does. Now they might use NBA terminology that actually uses the terms "steps" in their traveling rules. But our level they do not. And often I think what you are referencing is not necessarily what they are trying to emulate, but what they think they see. There is a difference to me. And I still do not care what they see. When they start making those kinds of checks, they can worry about what those rules are. Now, they are in high school or college. And if they see me in a college game, they really are not good enough for the NBA if they cannot get on a D1 roster.

Quote:
Where do you want me to start? They think they can use their hands the same way in the passing game like receivers pushing off. They think they can low block when they cannot. They think they can throw the ball away when they get outside the pocket (never been a NF rule). And most of all they think that what a player does when they are frustrated with a call is acceptable.

And once again, I give a rats ass what they see, they are not at that level and will get called for it when I am working a game. I let them in no uncertain terms that they are not pros. Do not approach me like you are a pro. Those officials are getting paid to tolerate more stuff and can say things back to players. That does not apply at the NF and even the NCAA level.

Peace
Old Sat Apr 22, 2017, 04:44pm
Stubborn Member

Let me get this straight... the problem is a kid, when called for traveling, may say "but Lebron did that last night and he didn't get called for travelling."

The answer is simple... "because you're not Lebron, nor is this the NBA."

Why is that so hard? Besides, you're talking about this happening to a kid. Like his basketball game, or to be more particular that traveling call, is going to change the course of his life.
Old Sat Apr 22, 2017, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Its really comical when you get a coach after you call a travel and thr coach says, "He gets two steps", and you reply, "He took 4 and this isnt the NBA. " Oh."
Old Sat Apr 22, 2017, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

I couldn't care less if the high school players I officiate try to emulate NBA moves that are illegal under NFHS rules. When I blow the whistle, they'll stop.

I don't care what they see on TV, or what they or the coaches think the rule is. I have the actual rule to back me, and I'm not scared to apply and explain it.
Old Sun Apr 23, 2017, 10:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

"I Could Care Less" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I couldn't care less if ...
Very nice SC Official. Correct use of this phrase on the Forum. My tenth grade English teacher, Mr. Baumgartner, would be very pleased.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Apr 23, 2017, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

NBA rules are different

NBA rules are significantly different from NFHS rules. People can accept that the length of the quarters are different, the distance to the three point arc is different etc., but have a much harder time accepting that the rules regarding traveling are different.
I like the "Away-From-The-Play-Foul" rule.
NBA.com - NBA’s Misunderstood Rules
Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 04:47am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
NBA rules are significantly different from NFHS rules. People can accept that the length of the quarters are different, the distance to the three point arc is different etc., but have a much harder time accepting that the rules regarding traveling are different.
I like the "Away-From-The-Play-Foul" rule.
NBA.com - NBA’s Misunderstood Rules

If you actually compare the NBA/WNBA Traveling Rule with the NFHS/NCAA Men's-Women's/FIBA Traveling Rule you will find that while the wording is somewhat different in parts, the rule is the same except for the being the first to touch the ball after attempting a FG that fails to touch the rim, the backboard, or another player, and the FIBA rule with regard to falling to the floor while holding the ball or getting up from being on the floor while holding the ball is different from the other codes.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 06:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

My List Is Longer Than Your List ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
Hey? Copyright issues? My people will be contacting their people first thing tomorrow. First, I've got to get some people.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 07:46am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
If you actually compare the NBA/WNBA Traveling Rule with the NFHS/NCAA Men's-Women's/FIBA Traveling Rule you will find that while the wording is somewhat different in parts, the rule is the same except for the being the first to touch the ball after attempting a FG that fails to touch the rim, the backboard, or another player, and the FIBA rule with regard to falling to the floor while holding the ball or getting up from being on the floor while holding the ball is different from the other codes.

MTD, Sr.
I thought that the "two count rhythm" thing meant a player in the NBA was not only allowed to lift his pivot foot (after the first "count" or step), but place it back on the floor (which would be the second "count" or step). Not that I have to tell you, but just for the sake of completing the thought, high school players can not lift the pivot foot and place it back on the floor before releasing the ball.