The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 04, 2010, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Traveling or not...

Do you consider it traveling when a player picks up their dribble prior to executing a jump stop? I am saying the player has 2 hands holding the ball from the time they leave the floor until the time they land.

I called a travel based on an "up and down" type of violation. Haven't seen it much all year, maybe 3 or 4 times, then it happens 3 times in one game tonite. Whatcha got?
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure I understand the question. If a player ends the dribble with a foot on the ground, said player can jump off that one foot and land simultaneously on both feet, and it is not a travel. Afterward, they may not pivot. If a player ends the dribble with both feet in the air and lands simultaneously, they may use pivot using either foot.

From what I think you're trying to describe, I wouldn't have a travel.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

I dunno dude...think i'd have to see it. But if he had both hands on the ball then jumped and landed....travel. But usually jump stops are executed with the pushing the ball with one hand catching the ball while airborne and landing to stop your momentum before a shot or pass.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 12:13am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightsummitt View Post
Do you consider it traveling when a player picks up their dribble prior to executing a jump stop? I am saying the player has 2 hands holding the ball from the time they leave the floor until the time they land.

I called a travel based on an "up and down" type of violation. Haven't seen it much all year, maybe 3 or 4 times, then it happens 3 times in one game tonite. Whatcha got?
Could you tell us where "up and down" is found in the rule book? Find the pivot foot and know the rules. My question for you on this is, did he land on both feet simultaneously? If he did, it sure reads like a legal play.

Last edited by Adam; Fri Feb 05, 2010 at 12:16am.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 12:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonboys03 View Post
I dunno dude...think i'd have to see it. But if he had both hands on the ball then jumped and landed....travel. But usually jump stops are executed with the pushing the ball with one hand catching the ball while airborne and landing to stop your momentum before a shot or pass.
Check the traveling rule, read it, and ask questions.

A player may, upon gathering the ball with one foot on the floor, proceed to jump off of that foot and land on both feet as long as he lands with both feet at the same time. He then may not use either foot as a pivot foot. IOW, if he lifts either foot after the final landing, he may not place it back on the floor before passing or shooting.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightsummitt View Post
Do you consider it traveling when a player picks up their dribble prior to executing a jump stop?
A proper jump stop is never a travel. An improper jump stop is. And "picking up the dribble" is required for one type of jump stop.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

The move I've been seeing is this one: player drives the lane, picks up dribble in the air, steps once, twice (other foot), and then lands on both feet to put up a shot.

Newbies only, please: travel? Explain.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 09:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Ooh, the famous "triple jump stop."