The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 08, 2017, 02:52pm
We don't rent pigs

In real time, I would say if a dribbler is moving parallel to the division line, it would be very difficult to say whether the touches of the ball and the line happened at the same time, and when in doubt, the step on the line would draw a whistle. In the OP, it is somewhat easier to separate the two, in my opinion. With the benefit of the video, I have nothing.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Mar 08, 2017, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The rule, as written, only applies this standard to boundary lines. Given the nature of a few statements from the committee, however, I think they want to consider the division line to be as similar to the boundary lines as possible. Once a team crosses into its front court, the game is meant to be played in the front court (just as it's meant to be played in bounds.)
Without taking sides (because I don't really know*):

Play: Defender B1 takes an otherwise-legal guarding position with one foot (a) on the sideline, or (b) on the division line. Dribbler A1 charges into B1.

Ruling: (a) Block. (b) ??

(* IRL, it's easy to call the dribbling play a BC violation because "everyone" will see the foot on the line and "no one" will know of any inconsistency in the rule.)
Old Wed Mar 08, 2017, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Play: Defender B1 takes an otherwise-legal guarding position with one foot (a) on the sideline, or (b) on the division line. Dribbler A1 charges into B1.

(* IRL, it's easy to call the dribbling play a BC violation because "everyone" will see the foot on the line and "no one" will know of any inconsistency in the rule.)
IMO, b = charge.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2017, 04:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
IMO, b = charge.
Bob's point being that the division line and sidelines are not both treated as boundary lines in the context of the rules.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2017, 04:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

"as similar.... as possible"

There are going to be obvious discrepancies in how they are approached. For example, it's not against the rules for a team to throw the ball into the backcourt; only to be the first to touch it afterwards.

In more than one ruling, from what I remember, though, they try to apply some of the same principles. I could see this being one of those cases.