View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 05:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
Had a varsity HS game years ago when the table told me Team A had 1 timeout left. I informed the assistant of Team A they had 1 left. Later in the fourth quarter Team A called a timeout, I went to the Table and reported and the table informed me that Team A had no more timeouts. I now become the villain of course. Taught me a lesson to never tell either team how many timeouts they have left except when they have none. I would assume the officials knew that that team had no more timeouts. Can you ignore the request (Google Paul Silas Celtics triple overtime game in 1976), and the aforementioned Chris Webber game) knowing that the team has no timeouts and it would result in a technical foul? Just sayin...
No, you cannot ignore the request. There's specific instruction not to do so.

You'll note that no one except other officials ever really questions whether this should be called. No one even knows who the officials were in that Webber game. You ignore it, and the other coach is going to have a right to go ballistic. I'd much rather explain that #3 requested a timeout than explain why I ignored what was right in front of me.