The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

5 seconds closely guarded

Maybe I'm far too legalistic, but last night in a playoff game the home team was winning by 20 in the fourth quarter, probably about 3 1/2 minutes to go, I call a five-second closely guarded count against the visitors who had the ball.

My partner came to me and said Slow the countdown we don't need that, I have no doubt that I started my account a second late and that I got to 6 before I called the five-second closely guarded giving her seven seconds and she wasn't giving up the ball. In a game where the visitors are down by 20 would you not call five seconds closely guarded? Would you not call three seconds in the lane against the visitors?

Even after 17 years, I still think the rules are the rules. And why do the hand gestures of the count if you're not going to call it?
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

While all the benefit of the doubt goes to the team that's losing by that much (e.g., the seven seconds you gave her; making sure thet the defense is well within the six feet and that there wasn't any separation), you still need to call it. IMO, of course.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Nod your head in agreement and continue to referee the game, not the score. With virtually all games being on video now you would rather have a valid 5-7 second closely guarded call that you can defend going back for review than a 10 second no call which is indefensible.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 10:31am
certified Hot Mom tester

If you really want to give the trailing team a break, make your counts in dog years.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 11:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Maybe I'm far too legalistic, but last night in a playoff game the home team was winning by 20 in the fourth quarter, probably about 3 1/2 minutes to go, I call a five-second closely guarded count against the visitors who had the ball.

My partner came to me and said Slow the countdown we don't need that, I have no doubt that I started my account a second late and that I got to 6 before I called the five-second closely guarded giving her seven seconds and she wasn't giving up the ball. In a game where the visitors are down by 20 would you not call five seconds closely guarded? Would you not call three seconds in the lane against the visitors?

Even after 17 years, I still think the rules are the rules. And why do the hand gestures of the count if you're not going to call it?
Your partner needs to worry about his own game and not tell you how to referee. Perhaps on a subsequent call you disagree with that he makes, you should go over and give him some friendly advice.

I called a 5-second violation last night on what would've been the last possession before halftime in a second round regional. 5 arm swings and a whistle. Didn't think twice about it, either. Never do.

(I even called a 3-second violation last night.)

One tip I got years ago that I do agree with, though -- wait till you're sure that it's really a closely guarded situation before the FIRST arm swing. You don't want to have a lot of 1-second counts in a game. But once you have it, count it -- and count it the right way with one arm swing equal to one second.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 11:36am
This IS My Social Life

With the "absolutes" out top, many have done a great job with the impressing those heightened expectations upon the defense. And then, when the defense is doing what it's supposed to be doing and they aren't rewarded with the correct closely guarded call, any rationalization not to call it falls quite short, bordering on contrived manipulation of the game, IMO.

Last edited by Freddy; Sat Feb 25, 2017 at 11:42am.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 11:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

Besides, it's a freaking playoff game. Call the game, loser goes home, winner advances. Why change anything at all in this situation based on the scoreboard?
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Agree.

I'd have told him that I already gave her 7, how many more should I give her. I agree you can stretch it some (you did) but at some point, it becomes a farce and you have to just call it.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 12:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

First of all your count should be consistent throughout the game and the season. I know I have a slow starting count, but once it starts I will finish it if it is appropriate. I do not care what the score is and if you see me do it the same all game you can have the team informed that is the case. Now one of the reason a team is down by 20 is because they cannot do things right including how to move on offense.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 12:30pm

While there are reasons of time, place and score where you might want to pass one reason for calling it is the kid playing defense is doing a good job and might be trying to work his way into more playing time. It might be his best play of the year.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Great advice from everyone! Thanks. I love this community.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

One thing to consider also, you said that you gave her 6 seconds. Does that mean that you had 6 separate arm swings? Because you may want to be careful with that (as someone else said, everything is on film these days). I'm all for starting my count a little late, and being absolutely sure the defender is within 6 feet, but once they are, counting to 6 instead of 5 is not advice that I would give-
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, yes. I was hoping she would do something with the ball, she didn't.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2017, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
Slow the count down, we don't need that.....last time I checked we are there for the kids games, not our calls. Do we pass on OOB with a pinky toe on the line because it's against the losing team? Where is the line drawn? And he sprinted to you and told you this after your call? That dude has got some brass balls!!!
Old Sun Feb 26, 2017, 11:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The longer I officiate the more I realize the best officiated games happen when each of the three officials worries about their own crap and doesn't try to officiate for his/her partners.