View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 11:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Maybe I'm far too legalistic, but last night in a playoff game the home team was winning by 20 in the fourth quarter, probably about 3 1/2 minutes to go, I call a five-second closely guarded count against the visitors who had the ball.

My partner came to me and said Slow the countdown we don't need that, I have no doubt that I started my account a second late and that I got to 6 before I called the five-second closely guarded giving her seven seconds and she wasn't giving up the ball. In a game where the visitors are down by 20 would you not call five seconds closely guarded? Would you not call three seconds in the lane against the visitors?

Even after 17 years, I still think the rules are the rules. And why do the hand gestures of the count if you're not going to call it?
Your partner needs to worry about his own game and not tell you how to referee. Perhaps on a subsequent call you disagree with that he makes, you should go over and give him some friendly advice.

I called a 5-second violation last night on what would've been the last possession before halftime in a second round regional. 5 arm swings and a whistle. Didn't think twice about it, either. Never do.

(I even called a 3-second violation last night.)

One tip I got years ago that I do agree with, though -- wait till you're sure that it's really a closely guarded situation before the FIRST arm swing. You don't want to have a lot of 1-second counts in a game. But once you have it, count it -- and count it the right way with one arm swing equal to one second.