The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 21
had to do it!

Team A up 87 -14. 2mins 30 left.

After a Team B time out coach says to me -"I am putting in the subs to practice the press". I respond "you,coach the Team".

This league has rule you cannot press if you are ahead 40 points,the penalty is a bench technical. Also if the team down 40 points wants to end the game they can choose to do so.

The subs come on set up in full court press. The ball comes in bounds by Team B.

Whistle - Technical Foul team A! Coach- I told you I was going practice the press. My response - you did; but, I guess I forgot to mention I was going to enforce the rules of your league!

I know it was bit of baiting by not reminding him of the league 40 point rule: but, really 87 - 14 and you are going to press!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bball View Post
Team A up 87 -14. 2mins 30 left.

After a Team B time out coach says to me -"I am putting in the subs to practice the press". I respond "you,coach the Team".

This league has rule you cannot press if you are ahead 40 points,the penalty is a bench technical. Also if the team down 40 points wants to end the game they can choose to do so.

The subs come on set up in full court press. The ball comes in bounds by Team B.

Whistle - Technical Foul team A! Coach- I told you I was going practice the press. My response - you did; but, I guess I forgot to mention I was going to enforce the rules of your league!

I know it was bit of baiting by not reminding him of the league 40 point rule: but, really 87 - 14 and you are going to press!
It's not your responsibility to remind him of the rule. He should know that as a coach. This wasn't their first game, was it?

You did the right thing by enforcing the rule.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bball View Post
Team A up 87 -14. 2mins 30 left.

After a Team B time out coach says to me -"I am putting in the subs to practice the press". I respond "you,coach the Team".

This league has rule you cannot press if you are ahead 40 points,the penalty is a bench technical. Also if the team down 40 points wants to end the game they can choose to do so.

The subs come on set up in full court press. The ball comes in bounds by Team B.

Whistle - Technical Foul team A! Coach- I told you I was going practice the press. My response - you did; but, I guess I forgot to mention I was going to enforce the rules of your league!

I know it was bit of baiting by not reminding him of the league 40 point rule: but, really 87 - 14 and you are going to press!
It's not a bit of baiting it's all baiting. I wouldn't recommend this at any level. You should have reminded him of the rule when he said it or just called the T and your response should have been to cite the rule (I would would have gone with option #1).
__________________
in OS I trust
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
It's not a bit of baiting it's all baiting. I wouldn't recommend this at any level. You should have reminded him of the rule when he said it or just called the T and your response should have been to cite the rule (I would would have gone with option #1).
Yep -- or, depending on the temperature of the game, asked coach B if he minded. Or, have B end the game and then play a 2:30 scrimmage with pressing allowed.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yep -- or, depending on the temperature of the game, asked coach B if he minded. Or, have B end the game and then play a 2:30 scrimmage with pressing allowed.
Exactly Bob. Why, why, WHY would OP do this? I consider this a sort of power trip on the OP's part - a "I'll show him" moment.

2:30 left and up by an insane amount. Why extend the time left until the game ends? Ask him to talk to Coach B about it beforehand and let them decide if they want to move forward or not. This is the type of thing that the more experienced officials warn us less experienced officials about - in a game where you are not having any trouble, especially a blowout, don't do anything to piss off the coach.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 21
he had a T

My partner had given him a T in the first half for excessive demonstrations using violation signals and yelling out for violations. He was talked to about this and still took a T.
He yelled constantly at his players and was visibly upset when they did not execute the offence correctly. he had given the scores table trouble about team fouls not going up fast enough and was talked to about that.
I have officiated for many years at high levels and now in my late sixties and do some games to have fun and stay in shape.

Yes, I was wrong in, baiting him, a bit - and feel just a little bad for doing it, However, I will recover! I am not sure if the kids that play for this coach will.

Having to play under his regime would be a daunting task. I know both my partner(a 22 year veteran) and I had enough of him in one game!

Yes, I would give one of officials I supervise a knuckle rapping for doing this: but, I had to do it!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 120
I'm still short of qualifying this as baiting. I'm interpreting "you, coach the team" as kind of like saying "you do you coach" and assuming he knew the rule.

Since when is it the official's responsibility to remind a coach of the rules?

Seriously, what am I missing here?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
I'm still short of qualifying this as baiting. I'm interpreting "you, coach the team" as kind of like saying "you do you coach" and assuming he knew the rule.

Since when is it the official's responsibility to remind a coach of the rules?

Seriously, what am I missing here?
I'm guessing this is a VERY low level game. I would remind in these kinds of games.
__________________
in OS I trust
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bball View Post
My partner had given him a T in the first half for excessive demonstrations using violation signals and yelling out for violations. He was talked to about this and still took a T.
He yelled constantly at his players and was visibly upset when they did not execute the offence correctly. he had given the scores table trouble about team fouls not going up fast enough and was talked to about that.
I have officiated for many years at high levels and now in my late sixties and do some games to have fun and stay in shape.

Yes, I was wrong in, baiting him, a bit - and feel just a little bad for doing it, However, I will recover! I am not sure if the kids that play for this coach will.

Having to play under his regime would be a daunting task. I know both my partner(a 22 year veteran) and I had enough of him in one game!

Yes, I would give one of officials I supervise a knuckle rapping for doing this: but, I had to do it!!!
I completely can relate. However we aren't the moral police, the parent's can take it up with him. I honestly don't understand how some parent's allow some coaches to behave the way they do. Some of the coaches I see when I work, if my kid were playing, I would get kicked out because I would cuss the out and treat him like the punk he is. Then I would tell my kid to get in the car, go home and the next day I would demand the administration gets a coach that can be a role model.

But hey, in sports people think its OK to act like an animal.
__________________
in OS I trust
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 26, 2017, 12:04am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
I'm still short of qualifying this as baiting. I'm interpreting "you, coach the team" as kind of like saying "you do you coach" and assuming he knew the rule.

Since when is it the official's responsibility to remind a coach of the rules?

Seriously, what am I missing here?
Say what? We remind coaches, players, table, spectators, etc.. all the time of the rules. (when team's reach 7 fould don't we remind them of the bonus free throw? when a coach is out of time outs, don't we remind them of that? During a timeout, don't we remind the teams at the first horn? When bench personnel are standing during regular live play, don't we remind them to sit? etc.)

When the coach said that he was going to practice the press, the official definitely should have offered a simple reminder of the league mercy rule. Preventative officiating all day long.
__________________
If some rules are never enforced, then why do they exist?
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 26, 2017, 08:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Say what? We remind coaches, players, table, spectators, etc.. all the time of the rules. (when team's reach 7 fould don't we remind them of the bonus free throw? when a coach is out of time outs, don't we remind them of that? During a timeout, don't we remind the teams at the first horn? When bench personnel are standing during regular live play, don't we remind them to sit? etc.)

When the coach said that he was going to practice the press, the official definitely should have offered a simple reminder of the league mercy rule. Preventative officiating all day long.
We'll agree to disagree. We're not babysitters. When it gets to seven fouls I don't say anything to the coaches. I say "line it up ladies/gentlemen, one-and-one."

This is a situation where the coach should be expected to know the rule. And a coach that actually has a problem with being T'd up while leading by over 70 points has issues beyond my control.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 26, 2017, 08:45am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 14,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bball View Post
My partner had given him a T in the first half for excessive demonstrations using violation signals and yelling out for violations. He was talked to about this and still took a T.
He yelled constantly at his players and was visibly upset when they did not execute the offence correctly. he had given the scores table trouble about team fouls not going up fast enough and was talked to about that.
I have officiated for many years at high levels and now in my late sixties and do some games to have fun and stay in shape.

Yes, I was wrong in, baiting him, a bit - and feel just a little bad for doing it, However, I will recover! I am not sure if the kids that play for this coach will.

Having to play under his regime would be a daunting task. I know both my partner(a 22 year veteran) and I had enough of him in one game!

Yes, I would give one of officials I supervise a knuckle rapping for doing this: but, I had to do it!!!
Nice information to have when first telling this story.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 26, 2017, 09:14am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,226
We always use preventative officiating whenever possible. You were handed a scenario on a platter to use preventative officiating and you chose to take the low road simply to show the coach that you know the rule and he didn't and rub it in his face.

These "gotcha!" calls only tick people off and undermine your credibility as an official.

Not the path I would have chosen, IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 26, 2017, 09:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bball View Post
My partner had given him a T in the first half for excessive demonstrations using violation signals and yelling out for violations. He was talked to about this and still took a T.
He yelled constantly at his players and was visibly upset when they did not execute the offence correctly. he had given the scores table trouble about team fouls not going up fast enough and was talked to about that.
I have officiated for many years at high levels and now in my late sixties and do some games to have fun and stay in shape.

Yes, I was wrong in, baiting him, a bit - and feel just a little bad for doing it, However, I will recover! I am not sure if the kids that play for this coach will.

Having to play under his regime would be a daunting task. I know both my partner(a 22 year veteran) and I had enough of him in one game!

Yes, I would give one of officials I supervise a knuckle rapping for doing this: but, I had to do it!!!

Ok maybe he deserved it then
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 26, 2017, 12:44pm
High Five Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Southwest Missouri
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Say what? We remind coaches, players, table, spectators, etc.. all the time of the rules. (when team's reach 7 fould don't we remind them of the bonus free throw? when a coach is out of time outs, don't we remind them of that? During a timeout, don't we remind the teams at the first horn? When bench personnel are standing during regular live play, don't we remind them to sit? etc.)



When the coach said that he was going to practice the press, the official definitely should have offered a simple reminder of the league mercy rule. Preventative officiating all day long.


None of the things you mentioned are friendly reminders. They are rules that we play by. Once 7 team fouls, we shoot bonus. Notify of no time outs remaining, that is only time we are required to say anything. First horn is a rule required notification and rules dictate how we proceed in doing that. And players standing should be one warning and a bench T the next time, not a reminder.

And with all the info we have now about the coach being a jerk and already having had one T, I would have let him have his rope as well. Gotta get along before you go along.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1