The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 26, 2017, 01:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

At worst, "You do what you need to, I'm just here to enforce the rules."

Most likely, "Coach, there's a rule here that I have to enforce."

What I'd want to say "You're up by 73 points right now, I'm not making an exception. Teach your second string the press on your own time."
Old Thu Jan 26, 2017, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps because my background coaching my daughters in travel and AAU when they were younger and my work with running youth leagues....I've got almost no tolerance for these types of coaches...If that rule isn't in place, all of a sudden what might be incidental contact while your pressing is probably going to become a foul somewhere in the 20 point lead range. Especially if I mention it to you and you still press. Either back em out or I'll find contact to whistle...and that's for the middle school and below I'm talking about...
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

If Coach comes to you and lets you know he is going to do something against the rules, I feel like good game management says you inform him of the rules violation and let him make his own decision.

Coach: "I'm going to get my bench player to work on: _____"

Now instead of the the press he says, jumping of each others backs to dunk, running with the ball, cursing at officials, etc. If you know a rules violation is coming and you can head it off, you head it off.

In regards to the pressing rule. I appreciate that in these sorts of situations particulary at the youth level every one is trying to so what is in the best interest of the kids and keep emotions from running high. I don't think there is a good answer. If you've got a shot clock and everyone is going to get reps and work on better things, having a rule that makes them back off is fine. If teams are now going to stop being pressed but to keep the score close not shoot, OR conversely the best chance they have to score is when the press breaks down because 5 v 5 they aren't going to get shots up then I'm not sure what it does.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 10:10am
NFHS Official

Up by 73, I'm not going to pass on anything if they are pressing. Just about any touch will get a whistle.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Had the coach asked if he could press and you said yes followed by a T, I would say you baited him. Being he told you he was going to press, any enforcement of the rule is on him.