The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 20, 2017, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Held Ball or Travel?

Girl's middle school game. A1 goes up for a jump shot. While both A1's feet are in the air B1 swipes at the ball and connects with a glancing hit on the ball. The ball is not dislodged from A1's grasp. In fact, the position of the ball in A1's hands is not really affected by the hit. A1 does not release the ball and lands back on the floor on both feet. In my opinion, B1's hit "caused" A1 to not release the ball but did not "prevent" A1 from releasing the ball. I call a travel. Coach is in my ear, saying "but B1 hit the ball." I say, that is true but that B1's contact on the ball was not sufficient to prevent A1 from releasing.

Did I make the right call?

Thanks.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2017, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

sounds like a travel. The standard is did the contact prevent the offensive player from releasing the ball for a pass/shot.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2017, 02:54pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Travel as described.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2017, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

99% of the time, this is a held ball.

You might have had the 1% play.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2017, 03:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
99% of the time, this is a held ball.

You might have had the 1% play.
Maybe.

If in doubt, it's a held ball.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2017, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefBob View Post
Girl's middle school game. A1 goes up for a jump shot. While both A1's feet are in the air B1 swipes at the ball and connects with a glancing hit on the ball. The ball is not dislodged from A1's grasp. In fact, the position of the ball in A1's hands is not really affected by the hit. A1 does not release the ball and lands back on the floor on both feet. In my opinion, B1's hit "caused" A1 to not release the ball but did not "prevent" A1 from releasing the ball. I call a travel. Coach is in my ear, saying "but B1 hit the ball." I say, that is true but that B1's contact on the ball was not sufficient to prevent A1 from releasing.

Did I make the right call?

Thanks.
I find that distinction very hard to visualize. The picture I get is a held ball, but as Bob says this could be the very rare play that comes out another way.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2017, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
I find that distinction very hard to visualize. The picture I get is a held ball, but as Bob says this could be the very rare play that comes out another way.
The distinction is whether A1 has the option to release it or not and chooses not to verses the ball being pinned by B1 so that A1 can't release it even if desired. A mere touch of the ball doesn't necessarily pin the ball.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2017, 06:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The distinction is whether A1 has the option to release it or not and chooses not to verses the ball being pinned by B1 so that A1 can't release it even if desired. A mere touch of the ball doesn't necessarily pin the ball.

If the player is forced to chuck it up disadvantaged greatly by the hand on the ball, I'd expect an official to call a held ball.

This is not a place I'm picking nits or showing everyone how smart I am.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2017, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If the player is forced to chuck it up disadvantaged greatly by the hand on the ball, I'd expect an official to call a held ball.

This is not a place I'm picking nits or showing everyone how smart I am.
Agree, when the ball is pinned between the defender's hand and the shooters. But merely having a defender in the way that brushes the ball is not what is intended....that is good defense.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2017, 09:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From The List ...

When an airborne player keeps control of an attempted shot that is blocked, is unable to release the ball, and returns to the floor with it, that player has not traveled; it is a held ball. If, in this situation, the shooter loses control of the ball because of the block, then this is simply a blocked shot, and play continues. If, in this situation, the defender simply touches the ball, and the airborne shooter returns to the floor holding the ball, it’s a traveling violation. When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and touches the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 21, 2017, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I understand the distinction, but the post said that it caused the player not to release -- I have trouble picturing the contact causing the ball not to b released without preventing it from being released within the meaning of the rule.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2017, 03:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I understand the distinction, but the post said that it caused the player not to release -- I have trouble picturing the contact causing the ball not to b released without preventing it from being released within the meaning of the rule.
A player can "cause" an opponent to not release a shot without ever touching the ball (and not fouling either). "Cause" is too ambiguous to know what actually happened.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2017, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A player can "cause" an opponent to not release a shot without ever touching the ball (and not fouling either).
Of course. But irrelevant: the OP said it was the contact on the ball that caused the player not to release. I have trouble picturing a real world play in which that cause exists without also being prevention. But I agree it is impossible to tell without seeing the play. I *suspect* the OP was looking for too much to reach "prevent," but I can do no more than suspect.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2017, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Of course. But irrelevant: the OP said it was the contact on the ball that caused the player not to release. I have trouble picturing a real world play in which that cause exists without also being prevention. But I agree it is impossible to tell without seeing the play. I *suspect* the OP was looking for too much to reach "prevent," but I can do no more than suspect.
The defender can touch the ball such that the shooter thinks they can no longer easily "make" the shot but could easily shoot it anyway. The shooter chooses not to release the ball. That is causing it without preventing it.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2017, 12:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
The defender can touch the ball such that the shooter thinks they can no longer easily "make" the shot but could easily shoot it anyway. The shooter chooses not to release the ball. That is causing it without preventing it.

I'm guessing that's a held ball 99% of the time as called by officials. Wouldn't argue with them either.