The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 01:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

As for the foul: I could see either a no-call or a block. I don't see PC as an option because it's clear she's moving towards the dribbler at contact. It seems clear she got beat, because she turns to run rather than sliding to maintain LGP. It's not an aspect in the rules, but it is an optic thing that gives us a clue when watching, I think.

I'd like a no-call here, like APG, because the defender is at fault and there's no disadvantage to the offense. The ball went where it was supposed to go, the dribbler wasn't disrupted. Rich's points are valid about why to call it, too.

Let me ask the question: For those who would make this call, are you making the same call if it's a boys game?
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
As for the foul: I could see either a no-call or a block. I don't see PC as an option because it's clear she's moving towards the dribbler at contact. It seems clear she got beat, because she turns to run rather than sliding to maintain LGP. It's not an aspect in the rules, but it is an optic thing that gives us a clue when watching, I think.

I'd like a no-call here, like APG, because the defender is at fault and there's no disadvantage to the offense. The ball went where it was supposed to go, the dribbler wasn't disrupted. Rich's points are valid about why to call it, too.

Let me ask the question: For those who would make this call, are you making the same call if it's a boys game?
As I noted before I thought the only reason to say this was close is b/c it didnt affect her getting the pass off so I agree with all you stated above.

Would I make this call in a boy's game? Maybe. I'd like to see the whole things all the way through in real time without the slo-mo impacting my thinking.

But it depends on the level of play (in terms of speed, strength, athleticism, skill level), where we are in the game, what level of contact we've been putting whistles on, any chippiness, etc.

I always pre-game to let the players play through the marginal contact if they can (automatics notwithstanding). I can see passing on this but also don't have a real problem with calling this a block at really any level of play.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Tell me what made you judge this to be a block by W-4?

MTD, Sr.
To use your terminology ... what makes me judge this to be a block is that the angle you describe is not 0 or 90. She moves TOWARD the offensive player's new path (if she didn't, there would be no contact).

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 02:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

This is my position. If there is a foul to be called, then it is a block. But I can understand there clearly see why someone would not call a foul. Nothing was effected by this play. It was not even "rough" or unnecessary.

And since I do not work girls basketball, I am not likely making this call if I see the entire picture. My whistle would have likely come late and based on what I see, I probably would have passed on this. And that is from the high school level to the college level. I would have seen the same thing.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Nice Belt
This must have been created in Connecticut.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 03:31pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
It really depends if they have demonstrated they can play through this level of contact without wanting to kill each other. It goes the other way too. I've had girls games where they have both shown they want to play rougher and they're not going to go to blows over it.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

ohhh I love the collared shirt, where can I get one?
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 05:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Lord Byron Collar ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
This must have been created in Connecticut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
I love the collared shirt, where can I get one?
As far as I know, belts are only allowed in my little corner of Connecticut, not the entire state.

And, we do not wear collared shirts in Connecticut, at least not anymore.

Kansas Ref: Try Foot Locker.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 23, 2017 at 06:00pm.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
While I'm not calling this a carry, I disagree that if we started calling it we'd be calling a lot. The players would adjust fairly quickly.
I agree with that -- my point was that the level of "carry" in that play happens routinely in games that I'm watching and is not called. (But I think it absolutely would have been called back when I played.)
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

sweet college mechanics on the blocking call
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 10:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
sweet college mechanics on the blocking call
Thankfully I've never met anyone in real life that cares.

I find the hands on the hips to be a weak looking signal myself.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Thankfully I've never met anyone in real life that cares.

I find the hands on the hips to be a weak looking signal myself.
I have, and, I agree!
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 09:58am
Aztec-Irishman

SECTION 7 BLOCKING, CHARGING

ART. 2 . . . Charging is illegal personal contact caused by pushing or moving into an opponent’s torso.

b. If a guard has obtained a legal guarding position, the player with the ball must get his/her head and shoulders past the torso of the defensive player. If contact occurs on the torso of the defensive player, the dribbler is responsible for the contact.

Contact appeared not to happen in the torso; therefore Blocking foul.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

This is a Block

Angle smangle! Who cares, The contact created by the defender was shoulder to shoulder! You can move laterally or back facing the ball handler. If you do that and contacted in the Torso of the defender it could result in a call against the offence.

When you turn and run and contact the offence you have changed direction and in doing so have not established a new legal guarding position. This a block and should not be passed on! The defender almost fouls down, the offence is re-routed momentarily by the contact.

I have viewed this play, or very similar, hundreds of times in both Men's and Women's College basketball as an observer and supervisor of officials. Each time I see a block not called I enter INC- Incorrect no call!

The game is basketball and blocking is illegal!

You can present discussions of angle, or argue what legal lateral movement is or is not. You can not look at that play and not see defence give up LGP and never establish it again, causing a lot of contact shoulder to shoulder. A blocking foul at every level of the game.

Yes, You can choose to pass - but that is -an INC
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Offense, Intentional.