The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

You can figure out pretty easy usually if the coach is purposely ignoring you or not. If they are,l doing it on purpose, we arent giving them much slack here.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 12:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

When you put the ball down, follow it up by yelling the color of the team, "Red Ball".

And if an opponent did look like they were running to get the ball I would tell them "it's not your ball."

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
When you put the ball down, follow it up by yelling the color of the team, "Red Ball".

And if an opponent did look like they were running to get the ball I would tell them "it's not your ball."

Great advice reflecting back I don't think I did that at that time. I do normally when waiting to bring the ball in, but don't think I did it after I blew my whistle and placed the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Have they been slow coming back onto court on previous TOs? That's when it needs to be addressed; not with 30 secs left in a 1 point game. Anyways, DOG warning is correct call; not a T.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
Have they been slow coming back onto court on previous TOs? That's when it needs to be addressed; not with 30 secs left in a 1 point game. Anyways, DOG warning is correct call; not a T.

They would push it every time. Coming out well after the horn. I didn't have to place it at all, but the coach is notorious for taking way more time than allotted.

Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 04:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunz722 View Post
They would push it every time. Coming out well after the horn. I didn't have to place it at all, but the coach is notorious for taking way more time than allotted.

Including this in your original post would've been helpful.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 05:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

That's why I like doing it early in the game if it's needed. But if a coach has been just pushing the envelope all game and finally decides not to bother, I have no problem putting the ball down.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
That's why we stress the non-administrating official needs to hang near the benches until the second team comes out. That official needs to be encouraging the team to come out. At some point though, we are putting the ball in play if they resist.
I like doing this. If they haven't broken on the 2nd horn, I hit my whistle pretty hard while about 1 foot outside their huddle, then sprint to my position for the inbound. Most teams get that message pretty clear, but if that whistle does not immediately get them breaking the huddle, I'm pointing at my partner with the ball and saying, "Let's go!"
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 05:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

As soon as the first horn goes, we're talking to them here. It works the vast majority of the time. I don't put it down often, about once every two or three seasons, but it's very effective.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 07:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
As soon as the first horn goes, we're talking to them here. It works the vast majority of the time. I don't put it down often, about once every two or three seasons, but it's very effective.
I put it down in Christmas tourney final last month. Team ended up calling a time out.

Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 07:57pm
We don't rent pigs

The first horn announcement, in my opinion, is among the stupidest things we do. If they didn't hear/ignored the horn itself, how likely are they to hear/respond to the call and whistle from the official? I'm not gonna stick my head in the huddle and beg. We should put the ball on the floor more often than we do.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 19, 2017, 12:05am
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The first horn announcement, in my opinion, is among the stupidest things we do. If they didn't hear/ignored the horn itself, how likely are they to hear/respond to the call and whistle from the official? I'm not gonna stick my head in the huddle and beg. We should put the ball on the floor more often than we do.

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000 etc etc.

I just don't want to be the only guy dying on that sword. If we are supposed to break up soon after first horn and play ball on 2nd, we should enforce it. I just find I'm alone in that fight so I find myself saying let's go let's go a lot
Old Thu Jan 19, 2017, 10:31am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I put it down in Christmas tourney final last month. Team ended up calling a time out.

Did someone go pick up the ball and then call timeout, or was the ball sitting on the floor?
Old Thu Jan 19, 2017, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

I know this may not help a lot, but during the captain/coaches meeting, I tell the kids our state association is focused on sportsmanship, helping each other up, etc. Then I get them out of there. I tell the coaches to stay. We're required to ask coaches if all players are legally equipped, and then I make it a point to tell them first horn ENDS the timeout, we're ready to play on the second horn so make sure they're out there. My hope is that if that's the only thing that I say, it sticks with them. Not sure how much it helps, or if at all (probably not), but I've not had a DOG for coming out of a timeout yet. I've also not been doing this as long as many of you, so I'm sure that plays a huge factor in that as well.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2017, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunz722 View Post
A gird from team B starts sprinting over to the ball on the ground and picks the ball up (I couldn't believe she was doing this and wanted to tell her not to, but I didn't want to effect a close game.
You have already acknowledged that you should have gone with the DOG warning and lesson seems to be learned.

I just wanted to offer my $0.02 on the line of thinking "I didnt want to effect the game." This is a dangerous line of thinking that I have seen cause problems with many officials, probably including myself, that I think we should steer clear of. It leads to overthinking and doing or not doing things that lead to trouble.

Just try to apply the rules intelligently with respect to game situations. As BNR suggested I would have said "its not your ball" or "its blue ball" to the player as I saw her about to grab it. I don't consider that coaching the defense. I consider it good game management.

As far as putting the ball down, I think you did the right thing based on your description and agree that many officials are too lenient overall on getting teams out of timeouts.

I cant remember the last time I used the ROP procedure I think, in part, because the one thing I make sure I tell coaches when we walk over for handshakes before the game is that, "We are going to be ready to play at the 2nd horn, have your team on the court." This is an area where assistant coaches can be helpful too in getting teams out of the huddle.