View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 19, 2017, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunz722 View Post
A gird from team B starts sprinting over to the ball on the ground and picks the ball up (I couldn't believe she was doing this and wanted to tell her not to, but I didn't want to effect a close game.
You have already acknowledged that you should have gone with the DOG warning and lesson seems to be learned.

I just wanted to offer my $0.02 on the line of thinking "I didnt want to effect the game." This is a dangerous line of thinking that I have seen cause problems with many officials, probably including myself, that I think we should steer clear of. It leads to overthinking and doing or not doing things that lead to trouble.

Just try to apply the rules intelligently with respect to game situations. As BNR suggested I would have said "its not your ball" or "its blue ball" to the player as I saw her about to grab it. I don't consider that coaching the defense. I consider it good game management.

As far as putting the ball down, I think you did the right thing based on your description and agree that many officials are too lenient overall on getting teams out of timeouts.

I cant remember the last time I used the ROP procedure I think, in part, because the one thing I make sure I tell coaches when we walk over for handshakes before the game is that, "We are going to be ready to play at the 2nd horn, have your team on the court." This is an area where assistant coaches can be helpful too in getting teams out of the huddle.