The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Everyone else has already made excellent comments in this thread. The only point which I will add is to make certain to not forget to properly tally the team fouls at the start of the 3rd quarter. However many direct technical fouls end up being assessed need to be put on the board and counted towards reaching the bonus in the second half.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2017, 03:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

Also, if the true bench personnel were heading towards their locker room, they'd be authorized to do that too. So, I would have no problem not treating them as leaving the bench for a fight unless they showed some sort of aggressive action related to the fight.

Is it aggressive action if some of the true bench personnel merely rushed to the fight but did not fight?
Old Fri Jan 13, 2017, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
Is it aggressive action if some of the true bench personnel merely rushed to the fight but did not fight?
I wouold judge it that way.

And, even if the team's path toward the locker room is toward the fight, I'd make it incumbent on that team to stop or go around once the fight starts. Continuing to go in that direction is grounds for dismissal, imo.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2017, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Devil,

Nobody was in the locker room. Fracas occurred within 2 seconds of horn going off. Players and team members rushed to the fight. We had a lot of people on the floor AND empty benches.
What did they do as they were rushing and once they got to the fight?
Old Fri Jan 13, 2017, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Man this one is hairy. It would be really tough without a monitor. Would you do anything different in hindsight?
Old Fri Jan 13, 2017, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Man this one is hairy. It would be really tough without a monitor. Would you do anything different in hindsight?
Yes. We would not have worried about the benches if we had realized that it was halftime and that all we hold sacred is no longer valid i.e. empty benches don't really mean a lot. Just focus on the fight and try to identify other fighters which we were able to do from our vantage points. But, we really didn't try to separate the chargers from the curious bystanders??? We didn't think it mattered.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2017, 10:27am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Yes. We would not have worried about the benches if we had realized that it was halftime and that all we hold sacred is no longer valid i.e. empty benches don't really mean a lot. Just focus on the fight and try to identify other fighters which we were able to do from our vantage points. But, we really didn't try to separate the chargers from the curious bystanders??? We didn't think it mattered.
I don't think it matters. That's why the rule is there, to reduce the need to make that distinction during a fight by keeping as many players on the bench as possible. If it's halftime, the players should still stay near their bench to avoid the issue.

Toss anyone who didn't stay at his bench or head straight for the locker room. Anyone who passes by the fight on the way to the LR needs to keep walking, anyone who detours to ensure he passes by the fight gets tossed.

I'm guessing you now have 4 on 4 game, and each coach has 2 indirect technical fouls. Suspending the game is an option here.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 05:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I don't think it matters. That's why the rule is there, to reduce the need to make that distinction during a fight by keeping as many players on the bench as possible. If it's halftime, the players should still stay near their bench to avoid the issue.

Toss anyone who didn't stay at his bench or head straight for the locker room. Anyone who passes by the fight on the way to the LR needs to keep walking, anyone who detours to ensure he passes by the fight gets tossed.

I'm guessing you now have 4 on 4 game, and each coach has 2 indirect technical fouls. Suspending the game is an option here.
Not supported by the rules. Why would you do such? Just because you had multiple ejections? You wouldn't consider this an option after two ejections, or three, or four. Where is your cut-off?

Sorry, but barring a state rule, there is absolutely no reason to suspend an NFHS contest simply because the teams have each been reduced to fewer than five players.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

I agree that those on the court legally before the horn don't get auto T's unless they don't help matters. I wouldn't T up any of them if they were say trying to stop the fight, if they weren't making things "better" they are, unfortunately, done.

As for all other personnel, they are either done as fighters, or non-fighters. Each carrying a different penalty, and each of them individually offsetting against the number on their opponents side. You very well could have a game that cannot continue because they are all done.