The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
What do you call a fight. If A1 and B1 get in each others face and are exchanging words, if you can get in between them and settle them down do you still kick the to the curb or do you let them play since they didnt
exchange blows?
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 12:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I would like to see a punch of some kind.

I do not have my rulebook in front of me, but I would only consider a fight when someone throws a punch or initiates some kind of purposeful physical contact. It is also considered fighting when the person initiates a "punch" with just words alone.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 12:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

This is a very difficult question to give an all-encompassing answer to. On the surface, it sounds like at least technicals for each. If there was any profanity, then flagrant technicals are in order. If there was physical contact such as chest bumping, then either flagrant personals or flagrant technicals depending on whether it happened during a live or dead ball.

Also, the level of play should give you a clue as to what to do. Not only that, the game situation also comes into play. Has there been behavior of this sort before, etc.

Usually, with no contact, there is no fight, unless you're talking about a missed punch.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Usually, with no contact, there is no fight, unless you're talking about a missed punch.
I think this is a pretty good guideline. If there are no punches thrown, then there was no fight. (Technically, kicking someone could be considered fighting as well.) The punches do not have to connect, remember.

Also remember that if B1 throws a punch b/c A1 goaded him into it, then both A1 and B1 are guilty of fighting, even if A1 did not throw a punch.

If punches are thrown, whether they connect or not, it's a fight. Chest bumping, shirt grabbing, wrestling for the ball on the floor are not fighting.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

almost perfect sitch.

Keep in mind this is an aau tourney. Black and white are playing and my partner and I could tell it was getting heated but nothing bad had happened yet. My partner calls a foul and I look across the floor and one kid throws a stiff arm bar into another kids chest and the other one retaliates. If this had been a regular season game I would have probably gave them both a T went with the "POINT OF INTERRUPTION" and played on, but since this was aau we weren't going to let the third game of the day to get out of hand so me and my partner came in right away and tossed them both.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
almost perfect sitch.

Keep in mind this is an aau tourney. Black and white are playing and my partner and I could tell it was getting heated but nothing bad had happened yet. My partner calls a foul and I look across the floor and one kid throws a stiff arm bar into another kids chest and the other one retaliates. If this had been a regular season game I would have probably gave them both a T went with the "POINT OF INTERRUPTION" and played on, but since this was aau we weren't going to let the third game of the day to get out of hand so me and my partner came in right away and tossed them both.
I think I would have followed your example. Toss em before it gets worse.