The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
We had a quandary here a few years ago...for some reason some girls started take their to right foot, stick it 6" past the line and draw it back as they were going through their lineup ritual.
There's a relatively recent interp somewhere (for some level) that this is supposed to be a violation.

I get the literal reading of the rule, but, ummm, I never notice when this is allegedly happening.

Here's a similar NCAAW ruling:
DATE:

11/19/2014

RULE:

Rule 8

QUESTION:

Is it a violation during a Free Throw when the shooter has the ball in hand, is dribbling the ball and steps on the throw line, then moves it back before she starts her try? This happened in a game and the official called a violation. We talked about this after the game. My thinking was it's not a violation until she steps on the line during her attempt at the basket.

ANSWER:

This is a violation. Once the free throw shooter has the ball at her disposal, she is may not leave the free throw semicircle before the try strikes the ring, flange, or backboard or until the free throw ends (Rule 8-5.1.d). The free throw line is outside the free throw semicircle.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Wed Jan 11, 2017 at 02:25pm.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 03:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I guess I should have told the whole story. She stepped on the line, and stayed there. The whistle was blown as she started her throwing motion. This wasn't the point, but rather that I'd never seen a violation by the shooter on a shot with the lane cleared.
OK, this does change things.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess I should have told the whole story. She stepped on the line, and stayed there. The whistle was blown as she started her throwing motion. This wasn't the point, but rather that I'd never seen a violation by the shooter on a shot with the lane cleared.
Not sure why it is surprising. The lane cleared is weird for the player and more likely for them to do something strange.

(I'd love to see a HS study on FT% with the lane cleared -- my perception is that its much lower, even though it is presumably the best FT shooter on the floor taking the shot (usually). Seems to me the fact it is different breaks some of the standard ritual for the shooters.)
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Not sure why it is surprising. The lane cleared is weird for the player and more likely for them to do something strange.

(I'd love to see a HS study on FT% with the lane cleared -- my perception is that its much lower, even though it is presumably the best FT shooter on the floor taking the shot (usually). Seems to me the fact it is different breaks some of the standard ritual for the shooters.)
Not all lane cleared FT's are selected shooter.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 05:59pm
Administrator

Quote:

Over 30 years ago in a boys' VAR game. V1 shooting the 2nd FT of and TF in the 4th QT steps over the FT Line on his follow through. I wiped the FT off the board. V then has to go to OT to win the game. The game was the top two teams in the league.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 06:38pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Not all lane cleared FT's are selected shooter.

Which is why he said (usually)