The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 03:29am
We don't rent pigs

First time I've seen this.........and commentary

GV game tonight: Girl is fouled as the buzzer sounds to end the 3rd. She goes to the line to shoot 2 with the lane cleared. She misses the first, and as she catches the ball to attempt the second she steps on the line. I whistled the violation. She looked incredulously at her own foot, then at me and gave that bewildered "Who, me?" look that fits every situation. The crowd was not happy, but not in agreement. First a lady: "What?? NOOO!!! She wasn't even on the line! NO WAY WAS SHE ON THE LINE!!" Then a man: "That ain't right! She can stand on the line as much as she wants to as long as she moves before she shoots!" I couldn't help it. I glanced up to see the source of the second comments. He explained his credentials: "I've called games!"

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 07:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
GV game tonight: Girl is fouled as the buzzer sounds to end the 3rd. She goes to the line to shoot 2 with the lane cleared. She misses the first, and as she catches the ball to attempt the second she steps on the line. I whistled the violation. She looked incredulously at her own foot, then at me and gave that bewildered "Who, me?" look that fits every situation. The crowd was not happy, but not in agreement. First a lady: "What?? NOOO!!! She wasn't even on the line! NO WAY WAS SHE ON THE LINE!!" Then a man: "That ain't right! She can stand on the line as much as she wants to as long as she moves before she shoots!" I couldn't help it. I glanced up to see the source of the second comments. He explained his credentials: "I've called games!"

As she catches it? Really? I'd probably boo, too.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

violation.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

I'm not even looking yet.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

I get the "dont be that guy" but at what point would you call it. What if she stood there longer? What if she took a few more steps towards the endline?
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

How is she violating the spirit of tbe free throw?

When she starts her throwing motion, then I'll care.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:28am
TODO: creative title here

Did she step on the line while receiving the ball because of a bad pass from the L? I'd find it VERY hard to fault the thrower for that.

Spirit of the rule is that a violation occurs because the player is standing on the line to gain an advantage (specifically, being slightly closer to the goal on the shot attempt). In this case, I don't see the advantage being gained.

If she delays for a few seconds after receiving the ball or is on the line when she starts her shot attempt, by all means, call the violation.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 10:22am
Stubborn Member

I always check to see if players are legally in their spots before administering the free throw. Sometimes players are going over what to do after the free throw, getting instructions from coaches, etc. So they aren't thinking about being lined up 100% legally yet.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Kids try to adjust the foot to the line while holding the ball. At times, while trying to get it into place, it slides over or steps on the line. That is a violation by rule but I have never and will never call that. The foot, 99% of the time, then gets into the proper place behind the line. FT goes off as normal. If it stays on the line or they cross over early sure, ill call it. I view this as a "gotcha" call…a "prove I know the rule call." I have it right next to the multiple foul rule. just my opinion.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Put me in the camp that's booing this call from the sideline as well. Especially nowadays where we don't hand them the ball. If my throw is short or low, and they step forward to catch it, it's not really on them is it? This is grabbing the excrement-covered end of the stick.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

I would have a hard time calling this on the catch for two reasons:

1)Assuming you called this as the C (or T in 2-man)-- it could have been a bad pass from your partner that caused her to step forward to catch it. That's not unlike the player fumbling the pass -- you just re-administer the throw.

or

2) she had her foot outside the free-throw semicircle before the pass was made. If that was the case, some preventative officiating could have avoided this by simply telling her to check her feet solves the issue. I do this for players in (or almost in) marked lane spaces all the time.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 11:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I recall some areas want these calls made by the book. Mine does not.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Kids try to adjust the foot to the line while holding the ball. At times, while trying to get it into place, it slides over or steps on the line. That is a violation by rule but I have never and will never call that. The foot, 99% of the time, then gets into the proper place behind the line. FT goes off as normal. If it stays on the line or they cross over early sure, ill call it. I view this as a "gotcha" call…a "prove I know the rule call." I have it right next to the multiple foul rule. just my opinion.
Exactly. I'm not calling a violation in the above situation and absolutely not as the player is catching the ball. That's boo worthy officiating IMHO.

".....it is important to know the intent and purpose of a rule so that it may be INTELLIGENTLY applied in each play situation."

This is not applying the rule intelligently.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

We had a quandary here a few years ago...for some reason some girls started take their to right foot, stick it 6" past the line and draw it back as they were going through their lineup ritual.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 01:26pm
We don't rent pigs

I guess I should have told the whole story. She stepped on the line, and stayed there. The whistle was blown as she started her throwing motion. This wasn't the point, but rather that I'd never seen a violation by the shooter on a shot with the lane cleared.

Lonesome Dove