The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 07, 2017, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

MIZZ/UGA Altercation

Anyone see the incident at the end of the first half? And how the crew actually stayed after the final horn to observe the handshake line?
Old Sat Jan 07, 2017, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

In Massachusetts high school, we are always required to stay and watch the handshake line.

http://www.iaabo27.org/index.php/int...shake-mechanic

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jan 07, 2017, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbilica View Post
In Massachusetts high school, we are always required to stay and watch the handshake line.
And there's a good reason why your state is the only one.

Because it's stupid.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2017, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post

Because it's stupid.
Thankfully, I only work baseball there. I work basketball exclusively in Connecticut and we get out of the bandbox as soon as possible.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jan 07, 2017, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Trust me, we fought against having to stay for handshake in both basketball and baseball but once they had their mind set on it it was happening.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2017, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Because it's stupid.
Kentucky at one point banned the post-game handshake
Old Sat Jan 07, 2017, 08:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Here at the assisted living center where I reside, we have a handshake line after our balloon volleyball games. Everyone likes to do it, but there's no easy way for this type of handshake between someone in a wheelchair and someone with a walker.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 01:35am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Anyone see the incident at the end of the first half? And how the crew actually stayed after the final horn to observe the handshake line?
One of those moments I would be cursing at players, such as "quit being dumbf**** and get your a$$es to the locker room".
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 08:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNewton View Post
Trust me, we fought against having to stay for handshake in both basketball and baseball but once they had their mind set on it it was happening.
You didn't fight hard enough. Enough officials saying "we aren't doing this" or "we aren't working till you drop this " would've been effective.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 01:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You didn't fight hard enough. Enough officials saying "we aren't doing this" or "we aren't working till you drop this " would've been effective.
There were too many who bought into the idea that it was a good thing. Then, they stripped the officials of any power to actually do anything so they wouldn't actually find themselves calling a game-changing technical foul during the postgame handshake.

I'd work neighboring state ball, too.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Too many officials wouldn't have joined the protest and would've walked over the backs of the officials who refused in order to get assignments they shouldn't get.

Regardless, I was surprised to see a college officiating crew stick around to observe the handshake.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Too many officials wouldn't have joined the protest and would've walked over the backs of the officials who refused in order to get assignments they shouldn't get.

Regardless, I was surprised to see a college officiating crew stick around to observe the handshake.
Yep. I don't believe for a minute that you would get a big enough percentage of officials on board throughout the state for them to change their minds. The ones that took a stand would be seen as troublemakers.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 03:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

I'm guessing this wasn't their idea.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 04:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

I've seen this locally for a baseball league that underpaid and poorly treated their umpires. I was the assigner at the time and I was firmly on the side of the umpires speaking up, etc.

One of the umpires actually said that he felt that we made more than enough and that we should be ashamed to try to organize in this way. Trust me -- they were not paid well (I think it was $60 for 9 innings of adult BS). I think I assigned one more season and I haven't so much as worked a game in that league in the last 2-3 years.

But you're right -- look at the last NFL officials lockout / strike and how many people were willing to walk over those officials to work those games. Locally it would happen in a heartbeat -- what might hurt the most, though, is if most of the better officials simply decided to take a few weeks off during a critical stretch of the season.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm guessing this wasn't their idea.
Agreed.
Quote:
One of the umpires actually said that he felt that we made more than enough and that we should be ashamed to try to organize in this way. Trust me -- they were not paid well (I think it was $60 for 9 innings of adult BS). I think I assigned one more season and I haven't so much as worked a game in that league in the last 2-3 years.
Probably one of those umpires that attempts to shame anyone that isn't in it "for the kids."