View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 04:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Too many officials wouldn't have joined the protest and would've walked over the backs of the officials who refused in order to get assignments they shouldn't get.

Regardless, I was surprised to see a college officiating crew stick around to observe the handshake.
I've seen this locally for a baseball league that underpaid and poorly treated their umpires. I was the assigner at the time and I was firmly on the side of the umpires speaking up, etc.

One of the umpires actually said that he felt that we made more than enough and that we should be ashamed to try to organize in this way. Trust me -- they were not paid well (I think it was $60 for 9 innings of adult BS). I think I assigned one more season and I haven't so much as worked a game in that league in the last 2-3 years.

But you're right -- look at the last NFL officials lockout / strike and how many people were willing to walk over those officials to work those games. Locally it would happen in a heartbeat -- what might hurt the most, though, is if most of the better officials simply decided to take a few weeks off during a critical stretch of the season.