The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   MIZZ/UGA Altercation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102058-mizz-uga-altercation.html)

SC Official Sat Jan 07, 2017 04:00pm

MIZZ/UGA Altercation

Anyone see the incident at the end of the first half? And how the crew actually stayed after the final horn to observe the handshake line? :eek:

Mbilica Sat Jan 07, 2017 04:01pm

In Massachusetts high school, we are always required to stay and watch the handshake line.

http://www.iaabo27.org/index.php/int...shake-mechanic

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

SC Official Sat Jan 07, 2017 04:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbilica (Post 996597)
In Massachusetts high school, we are always required to stay and watch the handshake line.

And there's a good reason why your state is the only one.

Because it's stupid.

Mbilica Sat Jan 07, 2017 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 996598)

Because it's stupid.

Thankfully, I only work baseball there. I work basketball exclusively in Connecticut and we get out of the bandbox as soon as possible.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

PNewton Sat Jan 07, 2017 05:12pm

Trust me, we fought against having to stay for handshake in both basketball and baseball but once they had their mind set on it it was happening.

SNIPERBBB Sat Jan 07, 2017 05:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 996598)

Because it's stupid.

Kentucky at one point banned the post-game handshake

Mark Padgett Sat Jan 07, 2017 08:41pm

Here at the assisted living center where I reside, we have a handshake line after our balloon volleyball games. Everyone likes to do it, but there's no easy way for this type of handshake between someone in a wheelchair and someone with a walker. :(

Raymond Sun Jan 08, 2017 01:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 996596)
Anyone see the incident at the end of the first half? And how the crew actually stayed after the final horn to observe the handshake line? :eek:

One of those moments I would be cursing at players, such as "quit being dumbf**** and get your a$$es to the locker room".

Rich Sun Jan 08, 2017 08:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PNewton (Post 996601)
Trust me, we fought against having to stay for handshake in both basketball and baseball but once they had their mind set on it it was happening.

You didn't fight hard enough. Enough officials saying "we aren't doing this" or "we aren't working till you drop this " would've been effective.

Adam Sun Jan 08, 2017 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 996606)
You didn't fight hard enough. Enough officials saying "we aren't doing this" or "we aren't working till you drop this " would've been effective.

There were too many who bought into the idea that it was a good thing. Then, they stripped the officials of any power to actually do anything so they wouldn't actually find themselves calling a game-changing technical foul during the postgame handshake.

I'd work neighboring state ball, too.

SC Official Sun Jan 08, 2017 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 996606)

Too many officials wouldn't have joined the protest and would've walked over the backs of the officials who refused in order to get assignments they shouldn't get.

Regardless, I was surprised to see a college officiating crew stick around to observe the handshake.

zm1283 Sun Jan 08, 2017 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 996613)
Too many officials wouldn't have joined the protest and would've walked over the backs of the officials who refused in order to get assignments they shouldn't get.

Regardless, I was surprised to see a college officiating crew stick around to observe the handshake.

Yep. I don't believe for a minute that you would get a big enough percentage of officials on board throughout the state for them to change their minds. The ones that took a stand would be seen as troublemakers.

Adam Sun Jan 08, 2017 03:25pm

Quote:

I'm guessing this wasn't their idea.

Rich Sun Jan 08, 2017 04:18pm

Quote:

I've seen this locally for a baseball league that underpaid and poorly treated their umpires. I was the assigner at the time and I was firmly on the side of the umpires speaking up, etc.

One of the umpires actually said that he felt that we made more than enough and that we should be ashamed to try to organize in this way. Trust me -- they were not paid well (I think it was $60 for 9 innings of adult BS). I think I assigned one more season and I haven't so much as worked a game in that league in the last 2-3 years.

But you're right -- look at the last NFL officials lockout / strike and how many people were willing to walk over those officials to work those games. Locally it would happen in a heartbeat -- what might hurt the most, though, is if most of the better officials simply decided to take a few weeks off during a critical stretch of the season.

SC Official Sun Jan 08, 2017 04:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 996618)
I'm guessing this wasn't their idea.

Agreed.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 996625)
One of the umpires actually said that he felt that we made more than enough and that we should be ashamed to try to organize in this way. Trust me -- they were not paid well (I think it was $60 for 9 innings of adult BS). I think I assigned one more season and I haven't so much as worked a game in that league in the last 2-3 years.

Probably one of those umpires that attempts to shame anyone that isn't in it "for the kids."