Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 06, 2017, 05:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Jeff, take away all of the disagreement about semantics, and your insistence on saying that since this is a judgement call, you can do whatever you want.

It really boils down to this.

You have pretty steadfastly told us that if IN YOUR JUDGEMENT the player was shooting at the moment he got fouled, but then because he was fouled and could no longer shoot, decided to pass, you are not giving him shots.

I don't want to speak for everyone else ... but it seems to me that this is very much against the way the rule (or interp) reads. And the idea you seem to be pushing ... that because he DID pass he must have been passing when fouled ... is simply incorrect.
You realize that there is someone that works higher than me in level agrees with me on this topic right? You realize I was not the only person that was adament about my position, but you just choose not to either read their position or go after them. So either way it goes, I am not alone. Not only am I not alone on this, this is what is taught by many officials across the country. And so what you think the rule says or does not say, really does not matter at this point and at this stage of my personal career as no one but people on this site, in this particular conversation have ever questioned my position. I have even gone to partners and given them information and they changed it. The only thing that we discuss is that at the end of the day, it is your call to make based on what you saw. In both of these cases, I see a pass off. I have no reason to feel otherwise. And I see nothing in the rules that says that I am supposed to assume they were doing one thing when fouled. The rule only says that it is a judgment call for if the official feels a player is shooting or not. Well, they are telling us what they are doing when they either complete the motion or the do something else. I think I have seen enough basketball where players do all kinds of things. Fouls usually do not drastically change their motion or actions if they are shooting or if they are passing. Just like officials call fouls because the player "sells" the contact, well if you want me to award you a shot, then continue as if that was something you were doing all along. It is really not that difficult. But some people always make simple things difficult in officiating.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 06, 2017, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You obviously have not been around me officiating I see. Yes, I am really trying to worry about what some coach thinks that did not prevent me from getting to any level of officiating. Let me laugh at that one.

What I do is because I feel that is the right thing to do and supported by the rule. If you disagree, well I think I have enough officiating acumen to handle the situation if you disagree. Life and officiating is too short to worry about what officials that have no say over anything I do think about my issue and certainly have nothing to do with what coaches might say. Again it is a judgment call and if you feel you can do what you want, then do it. I am not going to be the one hiring you either way.

Peace
Actually, I'm sure you do ok officiating. You don't speak much, if at all, then. The problem is when you open your mouth. You've proven that here, over and over and over....
Closed Thread