The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 09:55am
Stubborn Member

Nobody Pays Attention To Officials

Sorry for not being able to embed the video, as I have no idea how to do it. But I found this funny, not just because it's Duke that messed up, but because the officials are actually in the correct spots.

Nobody pays attention to us.

Louisville women trick Duke into defending wrong hoop (and it's so awesome)
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

I fail to see the lead in the correct spot for a second half throw in.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 10:41am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I fail to see the lead on the correct spot for a second half throw in.
The Lead was in the proper spot. The C, however, should have been in the backcourt with the pack of players.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The Lead was in the proper spot. The C, however, should have been in the backcourt with the pack of players.
I dunno...if it's me as the new lead I post up where they should be going. I'd be seeing me adjusting if for whatever reason both teams didn't adjust. But then again if I'm the one administering the throw in...I'm telling both teams who has the throw in and what direction. Heck even as a non administering official I tell teams...."x ball's coming in...going x's way"
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 11:27am
Stubborn Member

The lead is at the end where the point is scored, on the opposite side of the camera. Took me a second to find.

BTW, I too say something like "white ball" while pointing the direction they're going.

I just found it funny that the players and coaches didn't pay attention to the fact the lead was on the other end of the court and thought "umm... is something wrong?"
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
The lead is at the end where the point is scored, on the opposite side of the camera. Took me a second to find.

BTW, I too say something like "white ball" while pointing the direction they're going.

I just found it funny that the players and coaches didn't pay attention to the fact the lead was on the other end of the court and thought "umm... is something wrong?"
Of all the reasons players and coaches should have noticed this was a problem, the location of the referees seems the smallest . . .
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 12:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Bush league play, IMO.

But it should never work at this level.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 12:38pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Of all the reasons players and coaches should have noticed this was a problem, the location of the referees seems the smallest . . .
It's a little tongue-in-cheek, as I don't want to be noticed.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Doing anything more than having the administering offical point in the right direction and say "white" (or whatever color) is coaching the teams. Do not, imo, be the official who tells either team to go stand at the other end.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

final 58-55

Duke still won by 3.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Doing anything more than having the administering offical point in the right direction and say "white" (or whatever color) is coaching the teams. Do not, imo, be the official who tells either team to go stand at the other end.
I haven't refereed in a number of years but it seems to me that making sure everybody is going in the right direction is good preventive officiating. What if the UL player was confused and starts toward the wrong basket? You mentioned that we don't coach during the game. I agree, but how is that different from telling a coach he/she has 4 players on the floor or telling players in the lane to "move?" In this case, I may have said "Red" and pointed very emphatically maybe even twice
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Ref View Post
I haven't refereed in a number of years but it seems to me that making sure everybody is going in the right direction is good preventive officiating. What if the UL player was confused and starts toward the wrong basket? You mentioned that we don't coach during the game. I agree, but how is that different from telling a coach he/she has 4 players on the floor or telling players in the lane to "move?" In this case, I may have said "Red" and pointed very emphatically maybe even twice
1. Telling a coach that the team only has four players on the floor will occur during a dead ball and isn't coaching the players. It is informing the coach.

2. Telling players to move out of the lane should not be done. That is coaching and not the role of the official.

3. Pointing direction and verbally stating the color is the correct mechanic.

I believe that this trickery is possible in the NCAAW's game because of the recent switch from halves to quarters. We now have two extra division line AP throw-ins and they occur without a change of baskets. Meanwhile the NCAAM's game only has one division line AP throw-in and the teams are switching baskets at this time.
Save
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 04:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I dunno...if it's me as the new lead I post up where they should be going. I'd be seeing me adjusting if for whatever reason both teams didn't adjust. But then again if I'm the one administering the throw in...I'm telling both teams who has the throw in and what direction. Heck even as a non administering official I tell teams...."x ball's coming in...going x's way"
You don't think the C should be with the pack of players? Since when doesn't the C monitor the pack?

And the Lead was posted up under Louisville's basket. I'm not sure what you are seeing in this clip. After Louisville's basket you can see the administering official moving towards Duke's end line as the New Lead, and original Lead coming up the court as the New Trail.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jan 03, 2017 at 04:21pm.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 04:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Bush league play, IMO.

But it should never work at this level.
I call out the color and point one time. After that it's on the players (and coaches) to pay attention to what's going on.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 04:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Smile, You're On Candid Camera ...

Does anybody besides me detect an ever so slight smile on the administering official?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)