The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 30, 2001, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Many of you are probably aware of HB67. This is the proposed legislation that will make assault on a sports official a Class A misdemeanor.

Please call, write or email your legislators and voice your support of this bill.

You can find your legislator's eamil address at http://www.le.state.ut.us.

Thanks for your time and support!
Old Wed Jan 31, 2001, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Kelly: Thanks for the imput, I've already contacted all three of our reps from this county and my state senator whom are all in support! Keep up the good work!!
Old Wed Jan 31, 2001, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Believe it or not, my rep. emailed me and told me that he is leaning toward voting against the legislation. I fired another email back and hope he'll reconsider.

BTW, is your moniker "dry ice?"--Where are you?
Old Thu Feb 01, 2001, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Smile

I sent you an e-mail, feel free to respond. Thanks
p.s. yes on the moniker!
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Angry Defeated

Bill was defeated in the House 40-33.

Stupid legislators
Old Sat Feb 03, 2001, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

It seems some of our legislators thought that referee protection wasn't that important. Some were saying we should'nt be elevated to the level of police officers and the protection they recieve. There were others saying this legislation resembled hate crimes legislation and wanted nothing to do with it. THEY WIMPED OUT!!!!!!
Old Sun Feb 04, 2001, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Glad to see other Utahns

I was/am for HB67 but on another topic for Utah bb officials.

I moved to Utah from SW Florida this summer and am a little concerned with what I've seen with high school refereeing here. These observations have been common enough that I feel they might represent the philosophy of the association.

Specificly: (1) Allowing hand checking, forearm contact on the ball handler and body contact in the low post by the defense...this rewards poor defense..

(2) Not calling player-control fouls....this penalizes good defense. I've seem a couple of varsity games in which I could only conclude that the ref was either guessing or alternating the calls. The problem might be #3.

(3) Both officials' eyes are "locked" on the ball. I was at the Oly/West game. There was non-basketball activity going on "off-ball" that was obvious and unseen before that criminal act by the West player.

I was wondering if any other UHSAA members had these points of view.

I feel that I'm a student of officiating and strive to get better each game. For these reasons I hope to be attending a couple of camps this year.

I hope I haven't offending anyone because these are not negative criticisms. I welcome and need feedback of my performance to get better.

"quit staring at the ball"