View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Ref View Post
I haven't refereed in a number of years but it seems to me that making sure everybody is going in the right direction is good preventive officiating. What if the UL player was confused and starts toward the wrong basket? You mentioned that we don't coach during the game. I agree, but how is that different from telling a coach he/she has 4 players on the floor or telling players in the lane to "move?" In this case, I may have said "Red" and pointed very emphatically maybe even twice
1. Telling a coach that the team only has four players on the floor will occur during a dead ball and isn't coaching the players. It is informing the coach.

2. Telling players to move out of the lane should not be done. That is coaching and not the role of the official.

3. Pointing direction and verbally stating the color is the correct mechanic.

I believe that this trickery is possible in the NCAAW's game because of the recent switch from halves to quarters. We now have two extra division line AP throw-ins and they occur without a change of baskets. Meanwhile the NCAAM's game only has one division line AP throw-in and the teams are switching baskets at this time.
Save