The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 19, 2016, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Anyone who throws objects is getting whacked at any level that I work. That is unsporting behavior. Period.

I agree with the T as given and anyone engaging in the specific acts in the video at any level should be given a T. While in all these situations context and the specific actions are key (not to mention semantics and language choices we use to describe them here).

I guess my concern is that for most of the members of the board when discussing these issues there seems to be a very low threshold for coaches being demonstrative or emotional. If directed at officiating crew or in response to calls I totally agree.

However, A coach can get frustrated or emotional for lots of reasons. As we mentioned in a previous post when discussing how they interact with their own players. I know around this part of Rome unless they are specifically reacting to a call or to an official we don't deal with much of their antics otherwise. If a coach is losing or his kids are turning the ball over and he takes of his tie and chucks it behind the bench I'm not worried about that. If she has just drawn up and inbound play and they get a 5 second call or turn it over coming out of a timeout and she flips her clipboard in disgust we don't go after that either.

I guess the genesis of my question is not whether or not coaches should be allowed to express disgust at officials by throwing things but rather how often to we judge intent or motivation to make these calls. If know/feel like its about me the crew fine. I'm not going to guess that is what they are mad at though. And if I see a marker or board get tossed, unless its directly tied to comment to me or to a call the crew has just made unless it causes a scene I'm probably leaving it alone because that's what my crew is doing.

So in an extreme case where her team comes down out of control and travels and coach chucks her marker towards the bench/wall. And a manager or assist grabs it in mid air or has it ricochet of a chest and they collect it in their lap. With no noise or commotion odds are I don't see it, and unless its tied to a comment or complaint about the call they could just as easily be upset with their player for being out of control. This is what I am wondering about . . .are you guys/gals just T'ing them up for the flip/throw?

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Dec 19, 2016, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Nobody could throw a coat better than Clem Haskins. It would find its way to the bleachers.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2016, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

I have a hard time seeing a coach throwing things in basketball because of player performance.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2016, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Anyone who throws objects is getting whacked at any level that I work. That is unsporting behavior. Period.
+1

I once had a coach react to a PC foul called against his star by turning and throwing a roll of athletic tape into an open bag sitting by the end of the bench. It bounced out onto the floor. I was at C, opposite the table. Partner who had just called from L on that side of the floor had just passed by the coach as he was going to report. I paused, no response from partner, so I whacked him.

When I ran into the coach after the game, he said he didn't think that he deserved it because he THREW IT INTO HIS BAG. I told him that all that really mattered was that HE THREW IT.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2016, 04:31am
Official Forum Member

Ideally, first foul for me would be on the hook shot when the defender contacted the arm of the shooter.

As for the T....that's an easy one. Not even Williams can dispute the T
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Dec 20, 2016, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
I agree with the T as given and anyone engaging in the specific acts in the video at any level should be given a T. While in all these situations context and the specific actions are key (not to mention semantics and language choices we use to describe them here).

I guess my concern is that for most of the members of the board when discussing these issues there seems to be a very low threshold for coaches being demonstrative or emotional. If directed at officiating crew or in response to calls I totally agree.

However, A coach can get frustrated or emotional for lots of reasons. As we mentioned in a previous post when discussing how they interact with their own players. I know around this part of Rome unless they are specifically reacting to a call or to an official we don't deal with much of their antics otherwise. If a coach is losing or his kids are turning the ball over and he takes of his tie and chucks it behind the bench I'm not worried about that. If she has just drawn up and inbound play and they get a 5 second call or turn it over coming out of a timeout and she flips her clipboard in disgust we don't go after that either.

I guess the genesis of my question is not whether or not coaches should be allowed to express disgust at officials by throwing things but rather how often to we judge intent or motivation to make these calls. If know/feel like its about me the crew fine. I'm not going to guess that is what they are mad at though. And if I see a marker or board get tossed, unless its directly tied to comment to me or to a call the crew has just made unless it causes a scene I'm probably leaving it alone because that's what my crew is doing.

So in an extreme case where her team comes down out of control and travels and coach chucks her marker towards the bench/wall. And a manager or assist grabs it in mid air or has it ricochet of a chest and they collect it in their lap. With no noise or commotion odds are I don't see it, and unless its tied to a comment or complaint about the call they could just as easily be upset with their player for being out of control. This is what I am wondering about . . .are you guys/gals just T'ing them up for the flip/throw?
To answer your original questions- Yes, this is an easy T at any level, which you seem to agree with above so not sure of the reason for the question in the first place. And No, good hands by the AC or anyone else don't save the coach from the obvious T.

In addressing your "concern" above I would say that I think I have more empathy for coaches than most here. I coached at the HS level and have many friends who coach at the HS and D1 level. I understand the frustration, emotions, etc. in an ultra competitive environment and when your job security is tied, to some extent, to the decisions and execution of 18-22 year old kids.

That said, the expectation is for coaches to control their emotions. When they don't then there are consequences. I had a situation in a HS game many years ago similar to what you allude to above. I don't remember the specifics of what caused the reaction but the coach slammed down his clipboard and marker. I whacked him. He said it wasnt directed at the officials. Again, I don't remember the specifics but I do remember that I wasnt totally buying that it was completely unrelated to frustration with some of the whistles. I told the coach, regardless of whether it was directed at us or not that slamming objects on the ground (and his marker actually came onto the court) was unsporting and unacceptable.

When its obvious that their frustration is something other than the officiating the coach will get some leeway. As you indicated a tie tossed behind the bench or some other demonstrative response to frustration with players can be ignored. But coaches will get little benefit of the doubt if officials think it has anything to do with calls and/or if the coach has been vocally or demonstrably frustrated with calls.

Its really not that hard or an unreasonable expectation to refrain from throwing objects while coaching a basketball game.