The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Do good hands save thebcoach? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101974-do-good-hands-save-thebcoach.html)

Pantherdreams Sat Dec 17, 2016 06:19pm

Do good hands save thebcoach?

So I know with certain coaches we have discussed the ramifications of throwing their clothing specifically jacket in the past. Roy Williams just did in his game today. I will see if I can capture a link. Now he didn't throw it on the floor it actually hit a chair and before it had settled a player and manger had both snagged it and were putting it away. I guess the two questions I have are is this t-worthy in this game or at your level. AND does the ability of a manger of assistant coach to catch a thrown object jacket/Marker/etc and pug if away like an intense exchange impact the act and your subsequent response to it?

deecee Sat Dec 17, 2016 06:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 995137)
So I know with certain coaches we have discussed the ramifications of throwing their clothing specifically jacket in the past. Roy Williams just did in his game today. I will see if I can capture a link. Now he didn't throw it on the floor it actually hit a chair and before it had settled a player and manger had both snagged it and were putting it away. I guess the two questions I have are is this t-worthy in this game or at your level. AND does the ability of a manger of assistant coach to catch a thrown object jacket/Marker/etc and pug if away like an intense exchange impact the act and your subsequent response to it?

I don't think there is a threshold for how something was thrown. It's context. I make a call, a coach is unhappy, even takes of his jacket during this sequence "T". Throwing it just makes it more "acceptable" to the masses.

Camron Rust Sun Dec 18, 2016 02:12am

The fact that it didn't hit the floor is irrelevant. It is all about how it was thrown.. Even the fact that it was thrown.

BryanV21 Sun Dec 18, 2016 06:52pm

Any action or words that are in disgust of a call are worthy of technicals. Just like if a player said or did something after you called a foul on him.

Now, just because the are "worthy" of techs doesn't mean they have to be called. At this point we're getting into "had to be there" situations.

JRutledge Sun Dec 18, 2016 09:15pm

Does anyone know when this happened?

Peace

BigCat Sun Dec 18, 2016 09:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 995206)
Does anyone know when this happened?

Peace

1045 first half. It is on cbs sports. Automatic. That clip shows the throw. Doesn't show the play/call.

JRutledge Sun Dec 18, 2016 09:59pm

Here is the entire sequence.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nSTscy_kYR8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

BigCat Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:15pm

Kentucky kid hit NC players legs causing him to fall. Kentucky kid gets ball and falls over NC player....that he caused to fall. Missed the first foul.

JRutledge Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 995212)
Kentucky kid hit NC players legs causing him to fall. Kentucky kid gets ball and falls over NC player....that he caused to fall. Missed the first foul.

If you mean the "undercut" I agree that that could have been and probably should have been a foul.

But if that was not seen and I understand why it was not called with that cluster of players, then the player falling is no longer in LGP and that is why the foul was called.

Peace

BigCat Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 995213)
If you mean the "undercut" I agree that that could have been and probably should have been a foul.

But if that was not seen and I understand why it was not called with that cluster of players, then the player falling is no longer in LGP and that is why the foul was called.

Peace

The undercut, the first foul, should have been called. Tough call when they say "foul on you because he knocked you down and then he tripped over you."

It happens. Refereeing is hard.

Adam Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 995214)
The undercut, the first foul, should have been called. Tough call when they say "foul on you because he knocked you down and then he tripped over you."

It does happen a lot, and it's not the first time it's happened to Williams, I'm sure.

I can't imagine I'd even have my job if I reacted to others' mistakes like this.

BigCat Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 995216)
It does happen a lot, and it's not the first time it's happened to Williams, I'm sure.

I can't imagine I'd even have my job if I reacted to others' mistakes like this.

yes, we will make mistakes/not catch things. Everybody knows it. When we do...coach can be frustrated, angry etc...but he can't do that...

You can see on the last part of the clip that blues arm hit back of NC leg to cause fall. I can see how that would be missed.

Raymond Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 995214)

First foul is missed because the Lead is looking up at the basket instead of the players on the floor.

As Lead, we must have discipline not to follow the ball to the basket. New Center might have seen it had he not been so high at Trail; he gets to the Center position late because of the distance he had to cover. Old Center/New Trail might have seen it had he not started bailing out for no reason.

Announcers, as usual, are clueless.

Camron Rust Mon Dec 19, 2016 03:23am

While it could have been a foul on the UK player, this play was not inconsistent with how similar situations are often called. How often do we see, on rebounding plays, the outside player jumping straight up all the time and being called for a foul when the interior player moves/jumps back. This really isn't any different in that sense. It is pretty common that interior player, whether right or wrong, is given more leeway.

This play was, however different in one way. The UNC player was jumping to block the shot. He was no where near it...then the contact happened as he laneded from trying to block the shot. Even if the UK player didn't back up, the UNC player would have been facing away from the basket and out of position for the rebound. Is it possible they determined it had no possession consequence and passed but then were forced to call something on the subsequent trip?

Nevadaref Mon Dec 19, 2016 03:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 995137)

Anyone who throws objects is getting whacked at any level that I work. That is unsporting behavior. Period.