The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
It's not the minority, it's flat out wrong. It has been stressed that elbow contact to the head IS a foul. Common/technical/flagrant. Therefore it cannot be ignored simply because the ball is dead. It has nothing to do with "safe". It has to do with expectations of the job. IF there is intent its a flagrant and not a technical.
If it is deemed common, it can and should be ignored if the ball is dead.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I disagree with elbow contact to the head being ignored in this case and so do my local and college assignors. The FED and NCAA have made it clear that contact to the head is not to be ignored, and they have been very clear and succinct with the message.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 04:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Contact Above Shoulders ...

2012-13 NFHS POINTS OF EMPHASIS

2. Contact above the shoulders. With a continued emphasis on reducing concussions and decreasing excessive contact situations the committee determined that more guidance is needed for penalizing contact above the shoulders.

a. A player shall not swing his/her arm(s) or elbow(s) even without contacting an opponent. Excessive swinging of the elbows occurs when arms and elbows are swung about while using the shoulders as pivots, and the speed of the extended arms and elbows is in excess of the rest of the body as it rotates on the hips or on the pivot foot. Currently it is a violation in Rule 9 Section 13 Article.

b. Examples of illegal contact above the shoulders and resulting penalties.
1. Contact with a stationary elbow may be incidental or a common foul.
2. An elbow in movement but not excessive should be an intentional foul.
3. A moving elbow that is excessive can be either an intentional foul or flagrant personal foul.

4-19-1-Note: Contact after the ball has become dead is ignored unless it is ruled intentional or flagrant ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 15, 2016 at 05:00pm.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 05:30pm
beware big brother

Quote:
I disagree with elbow contact to the head being ignored in this case and so do my local and college assignors. The FED and NCAA have made it clear that contact to the head is not to be ignored, and they have been very clear and succinct with the message.
Before this season, I would most likely have agreed with you. However, in NCAA-M, we are now instructed to determine the position of the forearms (vertical vs. horizontal) of the offensive player when officiating these plays. If the offensive player's forearms are more vertical than horizontal, the foul would be on the defensive player for violating the cylinder of the offensive player. This is a common foul on the defense. I would apply these same rules to dead ball contact as well. If the offensive player's forearms are vertical and contact is made above the defensive player's shoulders, this would be a common foul on the defense. Therefore, it should not automatically be a technical or flagrant technical foul on the offense just because the ball is dead.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Before this season, I would most likely have agreed with you. However, in NCAA-M, we are now instructed to determine the position of the forearms (vertical vs. horizontal) of the offensive player when officiating these plays. If the offensive player's forearms are more vertical than horizontal, the foul would be on the defensive player for violating the cylinder of the offensive player. This is a common foul on the defense. I would apply these same rules to dead ball contact as well. If the offensive player's forearms are vertical and contact is made above the defensive player's shoulders, this would be a common foul on the defense. Therefore, it should not automatically be a technical or flagrant technical foul on the offense just because the ball is dead.
Yes I agree, however this is one very specific scenario and you're not going to (I don't want to say ever) have this issue occur in a cylinder situation. In fact the cylinder exception IS FOR contact with a an elbow on a defender where the ball handler is making a rip through maneuver to move the ball from one side of their body to the other. The forearm is expected to be perpendicular to the court and any contact with the elbow is deemed a defensive foul. However contact where the forearm is parallel/horizontal to the court, its still a foul on the offensive player.

So although I did say that the expectation is that contact to the head is not to be ignored (and it isn't) in this case it would be. This probably covers a very small percentage of elbow contact. My statement was meant to be taken at face value with common sense applied that ya there is 1 exception.

In your scenario you are expecting a defender to be so close to get called for a foul (non cylinder foul), then the offensive player commits to a rip through maneuver. I just don't see it. It could happen, it's just not when how this happens. Usually it's off a rebound, or a trap and a kid is trying to clear space.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They did say that. After numerous silly results they backed off of that quite a bit, however.

And even before relaxing the interpretations, they (as indicated in the POEs posted by Billy) still allowed for a common foul involving elbows and the head. Several jurisdictions, and I think the NFHS too, clarified of what was meant by "movement" ruling that an elbow not moving relative to the body was just a common foul.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Dec 15, 2016 at 06:45pm.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They did say that. After numerous silly results they backed off of that quite a bit, however.

And even before relaxing the interpretations, they (as indicated in the POEs posted by Billy) still allowed for a common foul involving elbows and the head. Several jurisdictions, and I think the NFHS too, clarified of what was meant by "movement" ruling that an elbow not moving relative to the body was just a common foul.
I never said it was only a Tech/Flagrant. The expectation is to NOT ignore it and a call must be made. You can read into it how you want, dead ball elbow contact to the head CANNOT be ignored. Since we cannot call a common foul the only option is T. The main reason is things escalate from there reasonably quickly.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I never said it was only a Tech/Flagrant. The expectation is to NOT ignore it and a call must be made. You can read into it how you want, dead ball elbow contact to the head CANNOT be ignored. Since we cannot call a common foul the only option is T. The main reason is things escalate from there reasonably quickly.

You're contradicting yourself.

You simply can't, by rule, go with a tech just because the ball was dead unless it would have been an intentional/flagrant with the ball live. So, yes, you do ignore such contact, by rule, if it only rises to the level of a common foul.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Where can i find something saying they backed off or reinterpreted or gave a specific definition of "stationary" and "elbow in movement." I view the stationary elbow as play like where a screener holds arms at chest and elbows stick out beyond his stance. Defender runs into the elbow in that position--stationary--common foul.

If the elbow is moving, even at the same speed as rest of body because the pivot is moving it --intentional foul. If elbow is excessive--moving faster than the pivot--intentional or flagrant. I like the college rule much better. And it is written in the rules.

I can call it however they want. Can you tell me where there's something that defines movement as you mention above. I havnt seen anything saying that a players elbow which moves only because of the pivot is stationary. Or can be considered not in movement etc. thx
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The poster said the player swung the elbow and hit him. Under the POE, that is an elbow in movement. Even if offense doesn't mean it, it's intentional by rule. Should not be ignored cause happened while ball dead. Under the POE as written it cannot be a common foul.

Again, I'll call it however they want, but I have not seen anything saying that can be considered a common foul. If elbow moving itself, or because body pivots it is still moving. I don't search a lot of things so I'm not saying there isn't something there. I just haven't seen it and wouldn't know where to look. Illinois had slides for its rules meeting saying same thing as POE. They have not issued any other statewide interpretation. I certainly would like the ability to call a common foul when the elbow is moving in a normal way, say on a pass) but I haven't seen anything allowing me to do it.

Last edited by BigCat; Fri Dec 16, 2016 at 12:01am.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 04:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
The poster said the player swung the elbow and hit him. Under the POE, that is an elbow in movement. Even if offense doesn't mean it, it's intentional by rule. Should not be ignored cause happened while ball dead. Under the POE as written it cannot be a common foul.
Agree...swing = intentional (at a minimum) which then becomes a T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Again, I'll call it however they want, but I have not seen anything saying that can be considered a common foul. If elbow moving itself, or because body pivots it is still moving. I don't search a lot of things so I'm not saying there isn't something there. I just haven't seen it and wouldn't know where to look. Illinois had slides for its rules meeting saying same thing as POE. They have not issued any other statewide interpretation. I certainly would like the ability to call a common foul when the elbow is moving in a normal way, say on a pass) but I haven't seen anything allowing me to do it.
At least at the NCAA, you only have to watch a number of the replays from this year and last year that clearly show elbow contact with a moving elbow where they come away with nothing or no upgrade. In the first year of the elbow updates, a large number of the same plays were ruled intentional. Now, unless it is a swing, they go with a common foul or, if not called initially, nothing.

And in our state, they gave the interpretation a while back that I suggested above....moving in a normal play is just a normal play and common. Moving faster than the body (excessive swinging) is an intentional. If it is vicious or targeted, it goes flagrant.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Dec 16, 2016 at 04:17am.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 07:18am
Esteemed Forum Member

Offered By Forum Member ...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're contradicting yourself.

You simply can't, by rule, go with a tech just because the ball was dead unless it would have been an intentional/flagrant with the ball live. So, yes, you do ignore such contact, by rule, if it only rises to the level of a common foul.
Camron I know the rule(s). Sometimes the rules and expectations of the job don't line up nice and pretty.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Camron I know the rule(s). Sometimes the rules and expectations of the job don't line up nice and pretty.
My assignors don't ask for calls that are not supported by rule.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=BillyMac;994999][IMG]https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1634/25129383649_0f32ceb38a_m

Can you make the print any smaller? I see a stick man who looks like he's taken to many blows to the head. Nothing else...and I did open my eye before trying.