The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 19, 2016, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Manipulating Officials Article from 2014

Was preparing for an association meeting and ran across this article - its from 2014; so perhaps some of the vets have seen it; but I didn't see a previous thread on the topic...

How to Manipulate the Referees to Make Every Call in Your Team's Favor | Basketball For Coaches

Q. Which of this coaches' "nine" is most likely to influence you as an official?
or
Q. Which of these is more likely to set off your; "are you trying to manipulate me coach?" radar?
Old Sat Nov 19, 2016, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeyes View Post

Q. Which of these is more likely to set off your; "are you trying to manipulate me coach?" radar?

"hi, my name is coach xxxxxx"
Old Sat Nov 19, 2016, 12:01pm
Stubborn Member

I think we've seen this article before, and discussed it, but I've got some time before the Buckeyes game starts, so...

1. I don't take the time before making a call, or after I blow the whistle, to think about my rapport with coaches/players/fans/administrators/etc. I see something, I blow my whistle, I make the call... NEXT.

2. I will talk to a coach whether they call me "Bryan", "Ref", or "moron" (although calling me "moron" will at least a technical foul). And since I'm not going to change my call, does it matter whether I talk to a coach or not?

3. Every call I make is good (*cough, cough*), so I don't need or even want coaches telling me what they think of them. And like I said in #1, telling me a previous call was "good" is not going to change my call on later plays.

4. I don't consider this manipulation. It's no different than one of my partners pointing out a situation he's seeing, so that I'm more aware of it later and can make the appropriate call/non-call. Players can be sneaky with their cheating (see John Stockton).

5. Again.... how is this manipulation? Coaches aren't gaining favor by having their players do this, they are just avoiding getting a technical foul or other penalty for being idiots.

6. *Sigh* Yet AGAIN... coaches aren't manipulating anybody here, they are simply avoiding being penalized.

7. Yet another piece of advice that is less "manipulate officials" and more "don't be a dumbass, and be respectful". Coaches are not going to get more calls their way simply because they act like adults and not kids throwing a temper tantrum.

8. I don't care if a coach didn't shake my hand after a game. If they do... cool. If they don't... whatever. My mind is on taking a shower, maybe getting a drink(s) with my partners, or just getting home. I have never heard of any official saying or thinking "hey, this coach didn't shake my hand after the last game, I'm going to get him tonight".'

9. Whoa... hold on... giving up two free throws and possession is no big deal when a coach wants a technical foul, but it is a big deal when a coach thinks that call is the difference between winning and losing? Gotta love the hypocrisy here.

BTW, purposely getting a technical foul in no way helps a coach get calls later in the game. If a coach is being enough of a jackass to get a tech, the extra attention he/she may receive later is not going to be of the "wanted" variety.

This is a pathetic article, which is closer to "click bait" than being something useful for anybody.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2016, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

I like the article, because it exposes a mindset of some of the coaches we will come up against during the season. Not sure what percentage of coaches are like this - but this mindset definitely exist.
Old Sun Nov 20, 2016, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

It's not going to benefit them if I feel like they're trying to manipulate me. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Old Sun Nov 20, 2016, 11:52am
Do not give a damn!!

The article was garbage then when I first read it and it is garbage now.

That is my opinion.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 20, 2016, 02:49pm
We don't rent pigs

Just my opininions:

Not a big deal, but I really don't like being called by name during the game.

I think a coach verbalizing what he's seeing has some merit. ("He's in the lane.") If you hear that, you can't help but be more likely to look at it.

Complimenting calls may be sincere, but just as often it's sarcasm or kissing up.

Adjusting to the referees is absolutely a good idea. It's true, in spite of all pleas for consistency, not all officials are alike. And if I call a travel 3 times in a row on your player's spin move, good chance I will call it the 4th time, too, in spite of the fact that "He's been doing that all year!" Asking what he needs to change may or may not be all right, depending on how it's worded.

Getting a T to "make a statement" is a terrible idea.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 11:08am
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Just my opininions:

I'm the exact opposite. I prefer being called by my name. I hate being called "blue"...makes me think about the overweight slow pitch umpires.

Quote:
Maybe from a referee's perspective, but it can be an effective tool for a coach. Not in terms of getting calls, but in terms of motivating his/her team.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019

Last edited by stripes; Mon Nov 21, 2016 at 11:11am.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 05:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not A Great Reason, But A Reason ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
... but it (getting a technical foul) can be an effective tool for a coach. Not in terms of getting calls, but in terms of motivating his/her team.
... and maybe getting some parents off the coaches back (defending kids, showing some passion, etc.).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Nov 22, 2016, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just my opininions:

I think a coach verbalizing what he's seeing has some merit. ("He's in the lane.") If you hear that, you can't help but be more likely to look at it.

Complimenting calls may be sincere, but just as often it's sarcasm or kissing up.

Adjusting to the referees is absolutely a good idea. It's true, in spite of all pleas for consistency, not all officials are alike. And if I call a travel 3 times in a row on your player's spin move, good chance I will call it the 4th time, too, in spite of the fact that "He's been doing that all year!" Asking what he needs to change may or may not be all right, depending on how it's worded.

I also don't like the coziness of being on a first name basis with a coach, I prefer to keep the relationship at a professional distance.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old Tue Nov 22, 2016, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Think of the impact:

I think it's a great article. What an impact this could make on the game. If both coaches follow the 9 steps they each will believe they manipulated the officials and got all the 50/50 calls to go their way. Officials will feel well-respected and we will all live happily ever-after.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2016, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
It's not going to benefit them if I feel like they're trying to manipulate me. Quite the opposite, in fact.
This makes you even more prone to be manipulated by an intelligent coach.

Anyone who says they haven't given a 50/50 call to the coach the makes you want to work hard over the ass who balances the line all game is probably lying. I'm sure not doing it on purpose, but it's not like we can entirely control our conscience in a really loud competitive game -- sometimes it just happens.

I'm sure as hell am not going to have the mind-set of calling a game against a coach trying to manipulate me.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2016, 02:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
This makes you even more prone to be manipulated by an intelligent coach.

Anyone who says they haven't given a 50/50 call to the coach the makes you want to work hard over the ass who balances the line all game is probably lying. I'm sure not doing it on purpose, but it's not like we can entirely control our conscience in a really loud competitive game -- sometimes it just happens.

I'm sure as hell am not going to have the mind-set of calling a game against a coach trying to manipulate me.
I have never done that. I do not care what coaches complain about. I just make a mental note and do what I was doing so that when I call the same thing again, he knows why I am doing my job.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 22, 2016, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have never done that. I do not care what coaches complain about. I just make a mental note and do what I was doing so that when I call the same thing again, he knows why I am doing my job.

Peace
Good way to look at it, but I wasn't this focused my first few years.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2016, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

That's probably a fair point. Definitely something to think about.