The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 20, 2016, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Michigan State v FGCU end of game

Can one of our esteemed video gurus post the ending of Michigan State v FGCU? It looked like the clock was started early and I'd like to see it again
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Definitely started early. Will make for an interesting thread on here when someone posts the video.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Haven't seen the play yet.....

A.R. 123:

With four seconds left on the game clock, A1 inbounds the ball to A2. The timer incorrectly starts the game clock before the passed ball touches or is legally touched by an inbounds player. The official:

(1) Recognizes the timer's mistake and immediately blows his whistle while the passed ball is in flight; or

(2) Doesn't recognize the timer's mistake until the passed ball is controlled by Team A on the playing court, then blows his whistle.

RULING: Since the timer has made a mistake, the official, with definite information relative to the time involved, shall place the correct time on the game clock. Play is resumed in (1) with a throw-in by Team A from the original throw-in spot; or in (2) with a throw-in to Team A at a spot nearest to where the ball was when the stoppage occurred.

(Rule 5-12.1, 7-3.1.d and 7-4.3)
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

I'm never going to be D1. Can someone tell me why the crew doesn't get together and figure out what to do. If I get the ball and the horn goes off I might be freaked out and shot and air ball. How was this a fair way to end a close game?

I heard the officals (unoffically) said since he missed they went with the play. That cant be correct can it? Has the head of officials responded yet?
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 10:45am
AremRed

Video: https://streamable.com/765g

Statement from officials: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxwZ5DKWQAAmgIu.jpg

Using PTS, either one of the officials jumped the gun and hit their button early or it was the table clock operator. But the table guy says it wasn't him, thus throwing the officials under the bus. There is no way to know for sure because as far as I know, the NBA are the only ones who use the PTS system which records all the clock starts/stops and from which source they originated.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

If I were to bet, C hit his button as the clock starts running right after he turns down the court. The way he has to hold his arm, and it moves a lot, makes this very easy to hit the button accidentally.

I wonder how hard it would be or how effective it would be to build in a system where it requires 2-3 presses with the second being the actual trigger. With 4 possible sets of eyes it should work out to get at least 2 hits.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 11:28am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
If I were to bet, C hit his button as the clock starts running right after he turns down the court. The way he has to hold his arm, and it moves a lot, makes this very easy to hit the button accidentally.
My money is on the table clock guy. Worst view of the court, against the visiting team, guesses that the ball was touched instead of watching the official's chop, vehement denial in the press that it was him...

Quote:
I wonder how hard it would be or how effective it would be to build in a system where it requires 2-3 presses with the second being the actual trigger. With 4 possible sets of eyes it should work out to get at least 2 hits.
I don't think that would be effective.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

ESPN was saying only a few conferences put the clock control with the officials near the end of the game and this wasnt one of those sites. Seems silly not to do this over with the shooter being distracted with a huge horn going off that shouldn't...
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
ESPN was saying only a few conferences put the clock control with the officials near the end of the game and this wasnt one of those sites. Seems silly not to do this over with the shooter being distracted with a huge horn going off that shouldn't...
Then what was C doing? Holding his pants up?
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 02:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

One may mistakenly or absent-mindedly hit the button, but the where it is positioned on the pack, it's damn near impossible to accidentally hit the button.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
My money is on the table clock guy. Worst view of the court, against the visiting team, guesses that the ball was touched instead of watching the official's chop, vehement denial in the press that it was him...
East Lansing – The clock in Sunday night’s Michigan State-Florida Gulf Coast game was started prematurely by an on-court official, the Big Ten announced on Monday, and not the sideline timekeeper.

On-court official started clock early at MSU game
Old Tue Nov 22, 2016, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

I make a mistake that cause the horn to go off early shocking the player scrambling to shot a last second shot and I think it has no affect on him so by rule I screwed up and that's the end of it?

Does anyone think I should tell my partners I messed up and give them the ball either spot with proper time used and go from there.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2016, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I make a mistake that cause the horn to go off early shocking the player scrambling to shot a last second shot and I think it has no affect on him so by rule I screwed up and that's the end of it?

Does anyone think I should tell my partners I messed up and give them the ball either spot with proper time used and go from there.
I'm confused. Are you asking whether they got it right by rule? Or, are you asking whether the rule should be changed? Or, maybe you are asking whether the rule should be set aside (assuming is was ruled correctly)?
Old Wed Nov 23, 2016, 11:21am
The Whistle of Justice

Let's talk about positioning... what the hell was the C doing in the backcourt anyway? Officiating ghosts? The play starts with 8 players in the front court and the L has to deal with them all. The C is watching the inbounder... The T is trying to give the inbounder space but might as well be sitting in the 4th row. It looks like they were running 2-man, as I thought the C was actually the T who snuck up the court!

The table can't see the T even if he did chop the clock. You could say he guessed when the T chopped because of the poor sight line but perhaps the operator thought he would give the ole' home team clock advantage by starting it a touch early...

I would like to know what the crew talked about during the timeout, last second responsibilities, coverage, etc, and why none of them seemed to notice the clock starting initially. This thing should have been blown dead and reset...