The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Violation or no...would it be if?

Team A scores, B1 grabs ball, heads OOB on baseline. Count starts, she sets ball on floor and runs onto floor. At the same time B2 runs OOB and picks up ball and throws inbounds pass prior to the 5 second count being reached.

Coach A is barking "that's illegal, she can't do that!".

At next stoppage in play Coach A asks me for explanation...I tell him I have a legal play just as if B1 were to make the pass OOB to B2 and then B2 throws it in because it was not a spot throw in. He said ok...

I don't think I kicked this one but was curious if it were a spot throw in if that would be legal and I want to say as long as the ball is OOB the entire time and the pass is released prior to the 5 count, we are ok ?

Thanks
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 12:04pm
We don't rent pigs

Not legal on a spot throw-in.

"No teammate may replace the thrower"

or something like that.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 12:25pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches View Post
Team A scores, B1 grabs ball, heads OOB on baseline. Count starts, she sets ball on floor and runs onto floor. At the same time B2 runs OOB and picks up ball and throws inbounds pass prior to the 5 second count being reached. . . .
There is this statement of expectation expressed in 7-5-7a: "Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary." Lacking any other permitted activity or caseplay or interpretation to the contrary, it seems as though your situation did not fulfill this expectation in that a pass did not occur.
But I reserve the right to be wrong while I look for other pertinent info on it.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
There is this statement of expectation expressed in 7-5-7a: "Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary." Lacking any other permitted activity or caseplay or interpretation to the contrary, it seems as though your situation did not fulfill this expectation in that a pass did not occur.
But I reserve the right to be wrong while I look for other pertinent info on it.
I don't have my books with me and I appreciate you supplying that. It kinda leaves it open for interpretation. I went with what I knew on an inbound after a made basket...it was just 8th grade travel league game so not a huge deal but I like to be correct!
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are placing way to narrow a definition on "pass" in this rule.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
it seems as though your situation did not fulfill this expectation in that a pass did not occur.
....yet.

They have 5 seconds to meet the requirement.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Under FIBA its Ok,

Under FIBA: Ball can be passed between team mates behind the line after a Field Goal.

Rule:
17.2.7. Following a successful field goal or a successful last or only free throw:
• Any player of the non-scoring team shall take the throw-in at any place behind that team’s endline. This is also applicable after an official hands or places the ball at the disposal of the player taking the throw-in after a time-out or after any interruption of the game following a successful field goal or a successful last or only free throw.
• The player taking the throw-in may move laterally and/or backwards and the ball may be passed between team-mates behind the endline, but the 5 second count starts when the ball is at the disposal of the first player out-of-bounds.

There is also matching official interpretation that covers leaving the ball on the floor.

Official Interpretations 2014: (current at time of post)
17-7 Example: After a team A successful field goal or a successful last or only free throw a timeout is granted to team B. Following the time-out B1 receives the ball from the official for a throw-in at the endline. B1
(a) places the ball on the floor after which the ball is taken by B2.
(b) hands the ball to B2, who is also standing behind the endline.
Interpretation: Legal play. The only restriction for team B to handle the ball on the throw-in is they must pass the ball into the playing court within 5 seconds.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS = placing the ball on the floor for a teammate during an endline (running allowed) throw-in is legal. There is a play ruling precisely on this action.

NCAAM = a couple of years ago this level deemed the action to not qualify as a pass and therefore ruled it illegal in an AR. I do not know if that is still the case today.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2019, 05:26pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
NFHS = placing the ball on the floor for a teammate during an endline (running allowed) throw-in is legal. There is a play ruling precisely on this action.
Looking for this caseplay cited in this 2-year old thread. Anybody know where that is?
Old Sun Jan 13, 2019, 11:58am
This IS My Social Life

Help

Can anyone find a caseplay on this for NFHS? Even an old one would be appreciated. DeNucci? NevadaRef? Bob?