The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
With no intention of commenting on this specific play, that is true. If a defender ceases to be in a guarding position (by the definition of guarding) they must reestablish LGP before they have the rights of movement to maintain it.
Mind explaining a bit? The definition for guarding leaves a lot of room for the defender to do some goofy stuff that may look like they lost a guarding position. Bar falling over or going out of bounds I can't recall the last time I called a block because a player lost an established LGP.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Mind explaining a bit? The definition for guarding leaves a lot of room for the defender to do some goofy stuff that may look like they lost a guarding position. Bar falling over or going out of bounds I can't recall the last time I called a block because a player lost an established LGP.
A1 gets head, shoulders, butt, and feet all by B1 (who had LGP). B1 no longer has LGP and is no longer guarding. B1, is quick, however. B1 races to get back in the path of A1 but just gets into the path (without 2 feet down or facing). B1, in this case, does not have LGP. B1 must meet all the requirements of obtaining LGP again.

If that were not true, it could argued that once a player had LGP in the first 30 seconds of the game, that player would have it the remainder of the game.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
A1 gets head, shoulders, butt, and feet all by B1 (who had LGP). B1 no longer has LGP and is no longer guarding. B1, is quick, however. B1 races to get back in the path of A1 but just gets into the path (without 2 feet down or facing). B1, in this case, does not have LGP. B1 must meet all the requirements of obtaining LGP again.

If that were not true, it could argued that once a player had LGP in the first 30 seconds of the game, that player would have it the remainder of the game.
Ahh, yeah, I agree.