The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   MSU/AZ Block/Charge Play (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101821-msu-az-block-charge-play.html)

Freddy Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:04am

MSU/AZ Block/Charge Play

Major network announcers must have put some extra time in studying the rules in the offseason this year.

"It wasn't. And it wasn't even close to one."
"Absolutely no way they could have called an offense foul, it's just a referee that was out of position."

MSU/AZ Block/Charge Play

Nevadaref Sat Nov 12, 2016 09:34pm

I'd call a player control foul on that.

SNIPERBBB Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:16pm

Fairly easy one at that.

billyu2 Sun Nov 13, 2016 09:19am

Official: Correct. Announcer: Wrong. Needs more extra time studying the rules.

JRutledge Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:07am

What did the defender do wrong?

Peace

w_sohl Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:39am

How can he say that there is no way that it was a foul? It was textbook. I could understand if he said he didn't think there was a foul, still foolish, but understandable.

deecee Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 992929)
What did the defender do wrong?

Peace

you beat me to the punch.

Pantherdreams Sun Nov 13, 2016 07:53pm

I had PC in real time.

On the slow motion replays you might make the argument that the player lost LGP when the driver changed his line, and then never recovered it prior to contact . . .but I wouldn't be one of the people buying that argument.

Rufus Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:47pm

Of course, it was Jay Bilas talking so all I really heard was "Blah, blah, blah..."

Rob1968 Mon Nov 14, 2016 01:48pm

. . . but the defender wasn't set . . .:rolleyes:

Dad Mon Nov 14, 2016 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 992945)
I had PC in real time.

On the slow motion replays you might make the argument that the player lost LGP when the driver changed his line, and then never recovered it prior to contact . . .but I wouldn't be one of the people buying that argument.

Why does that lose LGP?

Pantherdreams Mon Nov 14, 2016 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad (Post 992996)
Why does that lose LGP?

My answer: it doesn't.

The convoluted mess I get into of beers with some of the local guys: Once you've obtained LGP you can maintain it by moving sideways or backwards. However if you don't maintain your legal guarding position you must re-establish or establish it again before your movements maintain it. Their argument is that if offense clearly gains space or a new line that the defense isn't moving to maintain their LGP but must now establish LGP again. In the case of the video this would mean the player was still establishing their LGP at the point on contact as their 2nd foot was not down.

I don't buy it but I don't have to.

Camron Rust Mon Nov 14, 2016 04:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 993000)
My answer: it doesn't.

The convoluted mess I get into of beers with some of the local guys: Once you've obtained LGP you can maintain it by moving sideways or backwards. However if you don't maintain your legal guarding position you must re-establish or establish it again before your movements maintain it. Their argument is that if offense clearly gains space or a new line that the defense isn't moving to maintain their LGP but must now establish LGP again. In the case of the video this would mean the player was still establishing their LGP at the point on contact as their 2nd foot was not down.

I don't buy it but I don't have to.

With no intention of commenting on this specific play, that is true. If a defender ceases to be in a guarding position (by the definition of guarding) they must reestablish LGP before they have the rights of movement to maintain it.

Raymond Mon Nov 14, 2016 07:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 993003)
With no intention of commenting on this specific play, that is true. If a defender ceases to be in a guarding position (by the definition of guarding) they must reestablish LGP before they have the rights of movement to maintain it.

This is one Camron and I always agree on.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

JRutledge Mon Nov 14, 2016 07:58pm

Can someone tell me the time this took place in the actual game?

Peace