The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 01, 2016, 02:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I think it's best to learn and use the proper terms. In an earlier post you said your "intentional procedure" was 2 shots and ball at point of interruption. Factually, it is the same thing but you are using terminology that applies in other situations. POI. Intentional foul is 2 shots and ball out at spot nearest the foul.

The rules are a puzzle. Their connected and intertwined etc. Personally, I think using other terms has potential to lead to confusion.
I always tell new officials (and vets also) to use rule book terminology when discussing officiating amongst ourselves or when talking to coaches.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2016, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=BadNewsRef;992651]I always tell new officials (and vets also) to use rule book terminology when discussing officiating amongst ourselves or when talking to coaches.[/

Yes. I wish I could say it better but what we learn in one rule can apply to many other situations. A change in terms might help you understand one situation better but cause a screwup in another....

Last edited by BigCat; Tue Nov 01, 2016 at 02:38pm.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2016, 07:30am
Stubborn Member

While the correct terminology may not seem important now, not using the correct terminology now could lead to issues down the road in your career. So you might as well learn it right the first time.
Old Thu Nov 03, 2016, 09:23am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I think it's best to learn and use the proper terms. In an earlier post you said your "intentional procedure" was 2 shots and ball at point of interruption. Factually, it is the same thing but you are using terminology that applies in other situations. POI. Intentional foul is 2 shots and ball out at spot nearest the foul.

The rules are a puzzle. Their connected and intertwined etc. Personally, I think using other terms has potential to lead to confusion.
The reason this matters is that POI is often times not the spot nearest where the foul occurred. If it's an off-ball foul, for example, or a foul in the midst of a successful shot attempt. POI can be quite different than the spot nearest where the foul occurred.
Old Thu Nov 03, 2016, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The reason this matters is that POI is often times not the spot nearest where the foul occurred. If it's an off-ball foul, for example, or a foul in the midst of a successful shot attempt. POI can be quite different than the spot nearest where the foul occurred.
Yes, i agree and would say most of the time it is different.