The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 27, 2016, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Funny Wreck League Story

I officiated local wreck league last winter here in town. There were quite a few chirpy fellas who always drew my attention in a negative way. One, in particular, was the typical gym class hero who thought he should be in the NBA. Played defense with his hands, traveled every time he took a 3 "stepping into the shot." Complained about every call against him and wanted every one of his mistakes to be the other team's fault. I'm sure you know the kind I'm talking about here. Well anyway, I'm a teacher in town, and the other night during parent teacher conferences, who should walk into my classroom but this guy. It took me a second to place his face with where I knew him from, and it actually took him telling me who he was for me to remember. He's a pretty nice guy off the court, and they seem like really good parents. I was giving his kid, who I have a really good relationship with and really like, a hard time in class the next day asking if his dad had told him how he knows me, and I told him he should ask his dad if he thinks he's a good example for the kid. Now I'm excited for this year--probably my last year doing wreck league if it's anything like last year-- and wondering if his demeanor toward me will change on the court. It just goes to show you never know who that guy you're being a giant jerk to could be!
Old Fri Oct 28, 2016, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Great story. I have a pretty good guess on his behavior. He will try to be better yet their competitive style, habits, etc will take over. I realized a long time ago no matter how kind I am, how good of a game I call, how well I use captains etc they have habits going back decades and thousands of hours of feeling and attitudes toward officials, opponents etc that will not be overcome easily. Sorry the same goes for coaches. Just like officials who have a different attitude on the court to do their job players, coaches, fans, etc have them too.

Now I ignore them unless they raise to certain levels and enjoy myself. My last mens wreck game I tossed a guy. I dont think its worth the money any more. I enjoy other levels way to much.